Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating bill for oil fire central heating

Options
  • 23-05-2012 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I have rented a few rooms in my house in the past and there was always an issue around the heating bill. With OFCH there is obviously no monthly bill. Just fill the tank when needs be.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice with regard to the best way to charge for heating if the system uses oil? I considered calculating on timed usage, as the boiler is going to have a set usage rate per hour at a particular temp. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i think that when you fill tank again, having receipt for same, it should be shared out equally between all residing in the house, that looks like the fairer way to go, and the same with electrical bill, and tv licence, and bins, and internet, and sky tv, excuse all the and,s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

goat2 wrote: »
    i think that when you fill tank again, having receipt for same, it should be shared out equally between all residing in the house, that looks like the fairer way to go, and the same with electrical bill, and tv licence, and bins, and internet, and sky tv, excuse all the and,s

I think there are a few problems charging like that
      A fill of a 1000L tank can easily cost > €800. If that is divided between say 3, that's about €260 each.
      That large initial outlay may put off potential tenants
      Also, if a person leaves within a short period, how do you calculate what they are (possibly) owed out of that €260?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

make an agreement that the amount spent on the oil should come in at say three hundred worth into the tank, so that they know ahead how much they owe,
    lets say there are four people living there and they set the mark at four hundred euro and each paying one hundred euro to the bill, does not have to fill tank, just putting in what everyone can safely afford.
    also i would make sure that insulation is good this saves oil,

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I take it that you own the property. Note that the rent-a-room limit includes any money the tenants give your for any reason.

A few ideas.
    * Work out how much the oil costs in an average year and add that to the rent. Possibly add a small amount for the risk you take.
    * If you use one tank of oil per year and it typically costs €250 per person, add €20 per month to the rent for the oil on the understanding that the exact balance will need to be calculated when you get the oil bill.

Of course, problems may arise in those years where you need an extra tank fill compared to normal.

Advertisement