Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The case of the Honeycomb that thought it was Fudge

Options
  • 23-05-2012 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Ok detectives , we got a harrowing a brutal case of kitchen brutality and clear signs Of distress. It is obvious from the scene that the suspect attempted to make honeycomb but ended up with a sticky, toffee like substance instead. Having noted his obvious crimes, he attempted to cover up his mistakes and tried to redeem said sugary mass. Detectives, you are the best of the best. It is your job to figure out what went wrong! Specific case details are to follow. Good luck!

Case report
    Forensics have confirmed that the suspect melted 100g of butter gently, to which he added 300ml of golden syrup and 400g of sugar and a teaspoon of white wine vinegar. He is reported to have let this dissolve over a low heat. It is reputed that the order handed down from his superiors stated that he was to heat the mixture to 149 degrees cent. But he disobeyed these orders, supposedly becaus he had no thermometer. So he blindly guessed when it was ready by the darkening brown coleur.

At this point, witnesses state he added a teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate and that vigorous expansion and release of gas was noted . The next steps in this crime are a little hazy but CCTV confirms he place the sugary mass into a lined tin and let it air cool for a while before placing a layer of melted chocolate over it. At that point he placed the tray in the fridge to set.

As with many villains, he returned to the scene to discover his crime, that he did not indeed create honeycomb but a cinder toffee like substances. Later on it is said he re melted the majority of the sugary mass adding more vinegar and sodium bicarbonate to valiantly try to reinvigorate the honeycomb but to no avail.

Detectives it is now your job to find out the cause of this crime. Why did his honeycomb not turn out crispy and aeriated. What steps could have been taken to prevent it. Is there a history of similar cases on the record?

Let's go to work, photos will be transmitted via a secure line later as the integrity of i phones must be questioned.

Good luck!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Not sure what crime has been committed here as I believe cinder toffee and honeycomb are one in the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭M1XR

Minder wrote: »
    Not sure what crime has been committed here as I believe cinder toffee and honeycomb are one in the same.
    Well ok, it was more of a chewy toffee tha anything

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm thinking the addition of butter may have been the cause. I haven't made it myself, but I saw Simon Rimmer make honeycomb on Something For The Weekend last year and there was no butter in the recipe:

75g caster sugar
    2tbsp golden syrup
    2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Lightly grease a baking tray with butter.
    In a deep-sided pot, warm the sugar and golden syrup over
    a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
    Increase the heat to medium and continue to heat, without stirring,
    for 5-10 minutes or until it has thickened and formed a caramel.
    Remove the pan from the heat, add the bicarbonate of soda and stir
    until smooth and well combined. Be careful, the mixture will foam up rapidly!
    Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and leave to cool. Once it has cooled
    and hardened you can break it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I'd second DizzyBlonde - we used to make honeycomb in chemistry class (it was an experiment, honest gov) and no butter was involved. Just sugar, bicarb of soda & golden syrup.

Ahh.... the tasty chemical reactions!!!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

I'll third DizzyBlonde, I've never used butter (or vinegar for that matter) in any honeycomb recipe. I've used lots of recipes. The first time I failed, I was a bit over vigorous with the mixing of the soda and managed to remove the air bubbles, the next time I failed, I under mixed it and in every bite you got a soda surprise (not very nice). The other times I failed were down to not heating it up enough. Candy thermometer for the win.

DizzyBlonde's recipe is spot on, although there are loads of variations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

And another +1, no butter in honeycomb, The recipe DizzyBlonde posted is spot on, use that next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's not the butter imo. Butter is used in some toffee recipes, (butter candy etc). It'll give a different flavour but its fine. A quick google shows lots of honeycomb recipes that use butter.

The vinegar is optional, its used react with the bicarb to make the bubbles. Without vinegar the bicarb still breaks down under the heat, but you might need more. You are supposed to add the vinegar and bicarb together. You added it early so it boiled off, and then the bicarb alone didn't create enough CO2 for bubbles.

Trying adding vinegar and bicarb at the same time, or adding more bicarb. Work fast and get into the tray as quick as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I just had to post in this thread cos I too, attempted honeycomb at the weekend. I used Nigella's recipe and although I have made it before (years ago and it turned out perfect) I also ended up with very chewy toffee like honeycomb.

I used sugar, golden syrup and bicarb. I actually think there wasnt enough bicarb. I remember when I've made it before, the mixture always erupted into a big bubbling mass on adding the bicarb, and this time it just sort of fizzled and died down quite quickly.

Im gonna try again and add more bicarb.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭M1XR

Right thanks folks, I think I will try again, no / less butter. And vinegar added later.

Advertisement