Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For the BBQers - Group buy on Lumpwood Charcoal

Options
  • 23-05-2012 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd put this out there. I've found a supplier for lumpwood charcoal. Namchar (Nambian Charcoal). I've a pain in my nads trying to find lumpwood charcoal, most of it is either pre soaked in lighter fluid or the last few bags i've gotten have been crap, near enough a bag of dust the charcoal is that small...

It's possible to get 100 x 5kg bags delivered to dublin for €5.64 a bag. It's a decent saving over buying it in local diy/gardencentres etc.

Now, I don't need 100 bags. I'm looking to get 25/30 bags. Is there anyone else interested in doing a group buy for this. My plan is to get it delivered to my folks place in Clondalkin as it's handy enough to get to from most of Dublin (just of the M50)

Minimum purchase of 15 bags per person.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

I got some of this in the south african shop in D1 (7.99 a bag) and it is good stuff. The hottest I could get the woodies stuff was about 700 degrees, the namchar gets to 1000. I will ask them if they'll do you a bulk deal the next time I'm in if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I'd be interested....
    Not going to commit just yet but I'll follow this thread to see where it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I don't think the main deal will go ahead but I plan on heading down myself and loading up the car. If someone wants to chip in for diesel I'll pic up a few bags... At a guess I could get 50 bags into the car. So I'd be able to spare 20 odd for someone else...

Where are you driving to to collect?
    I'm not in Dublin and it may be just as easy to go there myself if there is no bulk discount.

Down near portlaoise..

• Advertisement

Perfect.

Is it a secret supplier or can you share the name etc?

thanks very much.
    I will probably only want about 10bags myself.
    If they won't do that small an amount or its cheaper to get 40-50 bags, we could still look at combining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Hi all,

I know this is a very old thread, but is anyone aware of any other group buying schemes? Either lump or charcoal bricks for BBQ?

For what its worth, I ended up buying in "bulk" myself.
    The supplier changed over the last couple of years and is currently woodfuel.ie

• Advertisement

ArrBee wrote: »
    For what its worth, I ended up buying in "bulk" myself.
    The supplier changed over the last couple of years and is currently woodfuel.ie

Thanks for the reply, if you don't mind me asking what quantity were you buying and what were you paying?

shoutman wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, if you don't mind me asking what quantity were you buying and what were you paying?

Last order was 50kg and it was about 50euro.
    It was in 2013 and I'm just looking for more now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

Just got some 12kg bags of restaurant grade lumpwood charcoal from woodfuel.ie to test out, €16 a bag plus delivery.

Far superior to the lumpwood I'd managed to get at short notice from Woodie's.

Good size pieces, lit easily, got our new Kamado Joe up to 600F pretty handy for incredible seared steak...will definitely be ordering more.

Cheers lads, got in touch with woodfuel, thinking about getting 50 bags of the 4kg charcoal briquettes. With bulk discount it will work out at 5euro a bag, and should keep me going for a good while.

I cook on a weber kettle, so prefer the briquettes for standardising temp control on long cooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

shoutman wrote: »
    Cheers lads, got in touch with woodfuel, thinking about getting 50 bags of the 4kg charcoal briquettes. With bulk discount it will work out at 5euro a bag, and should keep me going for a good while.

What kind of bulk discount do they do? Like, do I have to get 50 bags? Is that when "bulk discount" kicks in?

This is the breakdown of what I was told - I do not what the costs are for purchasing amounts lower than 20 bags.

Briquettes are in 4kg packs.
    20 for €6.00 each
    50 for €5 each
    100+ for €4.50 each

Prices include VAT & Delivery to Dublin

Advertisement