Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training Springer to Fetch?

• 23-05-2012 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

Hi all,looking for a bit of advice on our dog.She's a Springer Spaniel,aged 1.She's basically a family pet,but my dad also uses her as a gundog.

The problem is,she won't fetch,which is a pretty important trait in a gundog!I've been trying the past few days to get her interested,even using our other dog,who's mad to retrieve,in order to make her jealous.It's not working.

She's an intelligent dog,I've trained her to do other things,so it's not that she can't learn anything full stop.

Any advice?Tips?Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Will she pick up a ball/toy at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Is she food motivated?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

She's not keen to pick up a ball,no.If you throw one to her,she'll make an effort to catch it,but throw it in a field and she'll just look at you!

She is very food motivated,loves her treats and they've been a great incentive to learn commands in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Hi all,looking for a bit of advice on our dog.She's a Springer Spaniel,aged 1.She's basically a family pet,but my dad also uses her as a gundog.

The problem is,she won't fetch,which is a pretty important trait in a gundog!I've been trying the past few days to get her interested,even using our other dog,who's mad to retrieve,in order to make her jealous.It's not working.

She's an intelligent dog,I've trained her to do other things,so it's not that she can't learn anything full stop.

Any advice?Tips?Thanks.:)

You should post this in the hunting section, you'll get people on there with sound knowledge on teaching dogs to fetch or retrieve as it would be known in hunting terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Good point!

Mods,could you please move this?I can't find the forum.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Good point!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1014

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Good point!

Best way to get our attention is to PM one of us, or report your post.
    We don't always get to read ever post in the forum.

As you've already created a thread in Hunting, I'll close this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement