Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to sand a side gate

• 23-05-2012 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Got a new side gate last year and managed to get a coat of varnish( though could have done with more). With the good weather looking to put two coats of the same varnish.

Question do I need to sand it or just apply the varnish?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It's always a good idea to sand before varnishing and even give a light sanding between coats. Sanding removes loose material and provides a key for the next coat so it sticks better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

A light sanding should be fine. Or keying as they call it.

I always use white spirit after to clean off the residue.

Never had a failing from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

A light sanding should be fine. Or keying as they call it.

I always use white spirit after to clean off the residue.

Never had a failing from this.
    Probably a stupid question!! but when using white spirit after sanding just apply it with a rag or how is it done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Yep, just a quick wipe with a lint free cloth to clean off any greasy residue, then let it dry off before varnishing, it won't take long. A lint free cloth (old tea towel, old shirt, etc) is any cloth that doesn't leave any bits of fluff stuck to the wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

size5 wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question!! but when using white spirit after sanding just apply it with a rag or how is it done?

I put it on with a small one inch paint brush in about 1ft square areas then wipe it off with a rag. To be honest the rag will do. Just have a couple if the surface of the wood is fairly rough as it will require more wipein

• Advertisement
Advertisement