Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song War 9: Master of War Vs Working Class Hero

Options
  • 23-05-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

On Song War 8 thread, Holy Wars won but it was a pretty balanced poll I have to say. Anyway moving on, I went for two songs which are very similar in many ways. Masters of War by Bob Dylan and Working Class Hero by John Lennon. First of foremost, i'm aware both songs were made in different time periods and that Working Class Hero is influenced by Masters of War, and is very similar in tone and style. Which is also why I thought it would make for a decent choice of songs.

Anyway, my choice goes to Masters Of War. I love the song writing and the vocals on that song a bit more then Working Class Hero, even though Working Class Hero is pretty good as well.

I have to apologise for this video, as it's actually a cover of Bob Dylan's song and not himself singing which I wanted. But I think it's good enough to use as a preview of the song.

Which song do you prefer? 9 votes

Masters of War
    0% 0 votes
    Working Class Hero
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

A resounding Meh to both tbh. I've always regarded both as more folk than rock,even after Dylan moved to the electric guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Despite my general disdain for a lot of Lennon's music, I am voting for his song as the lyrics provoke more of an emotional response in me than Master Of War does.

Working Class Hero can make me angry or it can make me feel quite morose, whereas all Masters Of War does is remind me that a hell of a lot of Bob Dylan's songs sound far better when he is not singing on them. The version of MOW that the OP put up actually sounds far better to me than any version of the song done by Dylan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Hate both = no vote pour moi!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Both songs sound like they mostly have two chords, so musically boring. Only the lyrics are somewhat interesting. So I'll vote for Bob Dylan because he attacks the twits who go to war based on political/economic reasons and I think that given the horrors of war this is a subject more worthy of a scathing attack compared to human social bullying and primitive heirarchcal mentalities in the form of class systems, although that is a worthy subject in itself for criticism. But Dylan just edges it in terms of vitriol and subject matter.

Went with Masters of war. Always thought it was a great song lyrically but when I read that Dylan only wrote it because he thought it would be popular with the anti war scene and that he didn't really share the views expressed in the song, well that just made me appreciate his talent as a lyricist even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Poor song choices!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

People really hate Working Class Hero?? I think it's great. Never really bothered with the lyrics but love the melody. I can't stand Bob Dylan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I must have missed this one when it was first posted. Neither song really does anything for me but if pressed I'd go for Working Class Hero as it's a bit catchier than the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Advertisement