Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ciderman, I always enjoy following your moral dilemmas on this thread :P

Three or four days of wondering if a purchase is worth it -> the inevitable purchase -> Satisfaction / Instant Regret (delete as appropriate).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    not just because of it's status as a glorified dust magnet or it's expense but because it promised so much and has, so far, delivered bugger all

What do you expect man, its a motion controller after all. Gimmicks die as quickly as they arrive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Isnt that the way most of us operate?

Isnt that the way most of us operate?

Yeah but Cidey Syndrome affects out good mod to a far greater extent.

Cidey Syndrome:

1) Despite knowing how bad in advance in advance, the purchasing a terrible game.
    2) The buying of totally useless controller mechanisms.
    3) Buying modern gen games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ah wait till he buys a CDi, then stick the boot it !!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yeah but Cidey Syndrome affects out good mod to a far greater extent.

Cidey Syndrome:

1) Despite knowing how bad in advance in advance, the purchasing a terrible game.

You forgot:

4) SD card slot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

EnterNow wrote: »

Cidey Syndrome:

4) SD card slot

There might be something to all of that.

Ibara is a game I liked the look of since I first saw it on Youtube and heard it mentioned here by Pyongy and the rest.
    I saw the extremely high prices and so let it go, thinking "I'll never have it, but there are plenty of reasonable Shmups to be had at regular costs", and I was right in that I have accrued a decent collection of PS/PS2 and DC shooters over the last year or so, as well as arcade sticks to play them.

But Ibara never left me....
    And, Lo and Behold, blessings be upon Amazon.co.uk, I cam across someone in the UK selling Ibara for £50.
    So, do I get Black Ops II, Forza Horizon or Halo 4, games that I'll get, in 6 months, for around €25 each? Or do I buy a bargain priced Shmup that seems to be only accruing in value?
    So, I gave the CC an icebath and plunged in and bought the bugger!

Now to wait for it's arrival and the inevitable disappointment in my own abilities to play it well!

But, there will be a warm, radioactive type afterglow that will last for many years, the reminder that I own a copy of it, which is nice, isn't it?

So, do I get Black Ops II, Forza Horizon or Halo 4, games that I'll get, in 6 months, for around €25 each? Or do I buy a bargain priced Shmup that seems to be only accruing in value?

Nowt wrong buying Ibara, its the Move kit that has me making your diagnosis :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

001-14.jpg?t=1353418886

002-6.jpg?t=1353418922

003-2.jpg?t=1353418963

004-1.jpg?t=1353418992

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah, the Sega Saturn, no chance of the Uncanny Valley unless with rendering abilities like that displayed on the cover of D, unless the Uncanny Valley is one you spot in Cho Aniki, in which case we are talking about two completely different meanings of the word "Valley"!

• Advertisement

did you end up going for the Dino Crisis & Fear Effect games yourself Cidey?

Nope, the €70 I threw down for Ibara was enough of a shock to the system, despite my wanting the Dino Crisis games for a while, not that there was ever a chance I was going to get to play them!

yeah, to be honest I need to stop my splurging too, but it's hard the resist when the seller is someone you've bought from before, and is only 5 minutes down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,169 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've been killing my credit card too. Really want to try and balance it out by selling more stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've been killing my credit card too. Really want to try and balance it out by selling more stuff.

Easier said than done at the moment, did you have any offers on that Saturn you had up on Adverts?

Master of the Universe

Unfortunately not :(

Did sell my 6 slot MVS though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I've been going something similar lately with my loose Snes pal carts and one or two other bits.
    Replaced a pink micro with a pink micro though.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I've been going something similar lately with my loose Snes pal carts and one or two other bits.
    Replaced a pink micro with a pink micro though.

I have a few loose snes carts as well but there's so many time wasters on Adverts. With the luck you have had with non paying bidders on Ebay where do you go. Adverts with paypal only as payment to cut out the messers and the item stays active and availabe to anybody until payment is sent like Ebay. Offering the asking means nothing if you have no intention of paying for it. The feedback system is totally broken. I remember waiting weeks for payment before for the buyer to turn around and say they got one closer. If you accept an offer and the buyer pulls out, they should automatically lose their right to feedback against you.

Master of the Universe

Adverts kind of works for me. I've just resigned myself to the fact that I need to sit and wait. Buyers seem to arrive eventually.

That MVS unit I listed on the 20th of June!

Monkeykube wrote: »
    I have a few loose snes carts as well but there's so many time wasters on Adverts. With the luck you have had with non paying bidders on Ebay where do you go. Adverts with paypal only as payment to cut out the messers and the item stays active and availabe to anybody until payment is sent like Ebay. Offering the asking means nothing if you have no intention of paying for it. The feedback system is totally broken. I remember waiting weeks for payment before for the buyer to turn around and say they got one closer. If you accept an offer and the buyer pulls out, they should automatically loose their right to feedback against you.

Lately on eBay hasn't been representative of my overall seller experience, which on the whole has been good. Apart from the odd whinger.
    Adverts is what is but I still find it be useful as both a seller and a buyer.
    PayPal or cash on collection for low feedbackers and postal order is fine for people with high feedback. I've had sellers post to me before sent the money due to my good feedback. I even got a refund for a lost item, which eventually turned back up and I returned the money.
    It is awash with cowboys though. Too easy to re-register, off thread deals is rife (eBay suffers from this also Oisin and his Dredd artwork :p), looney comments and inflated prices.
    All adds to the experience.
    My GameCube collection of roughly 50 games has all been adverts bar 2mario parties.

• Advertisement

I suppose if your in no hurry to sell it's the best option as you have no insertion fee or final value fee, Ebay charge way to much and your wide open to scammers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Picked up these tonight, some good games in here, I have a couple of them already, in fact i already have this snes box too, but it was a good deal on the lot of them.

IMG_3553.jpg

IMG_3554.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

Contra is one of the finest snes games available.

Apparently the red box version of Mario World is worth a few bob, well, worth more than the standard, and then most folk got it as a pack in.
    Nice haul, aside from Mortal Wombat, fup me but I don't like that pointless game.

I just got delivery of my iBuffalo USB SNES pad.

buffalo_snes_controller-3.jpg

After having a few games on it this evening, i'm happy to report it's a decent pad, with decent quality for the price, but the d-pad is not completely up to scratch with legit SNES pads. It's more square on the corners, it's made of cheaper, harder plastic, and it has a definite "clicky" binary feel to it, meaning it's either in or out, with a definite click, rather than the gradual press i remember from the SNES pads. The pad itself feels a little lighter than the original. not by much, or by enough to bother you in comparison, but after a while playing with it you can tell it's not made of quite as tough stuff as the nintendo hardware.

As far as the ABXY face buttons go, i couldn't tell the difference at all, they felt and looked 100% identical to the original to me. The shoulder buttons feel a little flimsier and very slightly different to the originals, a little more "hollow" or something, but not in any way that's likely to detract from game play. Also the start and select buttons are the same kind of soft rubber as the original, or at least close enough to do a very good job in gameplay, and are not made of hard plastic like a lot of other knockoff pads.

buffalo_snes_controller-5.jpg

There are 2 additional butons which aren't part of the SNES design, a turbo and a clear function. The manual was completely in japanese, with not a word of english anywhere in it or on the packaging that explained their use, so no help there, but activating turbo was pretty standard. You just hold in the "turbo" button, press the button you want turbo on, and that's it. Same proceedure with the "clear" button to knock it off again. The turbo seems to only have one speed option, which is not the fastest ive seen, but hey, who cares, turbo is for cheaters anyway.:D

Overall, it's a good pad. I tested out Street Fighter 2 turbo, super mario all stars, and mario kart on it. Mario and in particular mario kart were a joy to be playing agin on a snes type pad (i sold mine a while back) but i did notice one or two fluffed dragon punches and the like in street fighter. Now this might be because i'm rusty (which i am), but i can dragon punch just fine on a madcatz fight pad and any number of arcade sticks that i own, so i don't think so, and that game is the benchmark for d-pad quality for me.

This d-pad is definitely different, and it's a little bit less responsive and smooth in a pinch. Not detrimentally enough not to recommend the pad (especially as you can get it delivered for under €15) but it is noticeably different in feel and response to the original, which is a bit of a shame, seeing as the original is one of the best d-pads ever made.

Hardware Installation was a doddle, standard plug and play stuff in XP, and it supports all the usual windows systems including 7. No mention of Windows 8 on the packaging, but i can't imagine it would be an issue.

The cable length is not overly long, but long enough for anyone playing on a standard PC screen, and certainly comparable to the original pads.

Overall i'd recommend it, especially for the money. It's a good pad even if it's a little cheaper feeling than the original, and it can be got from any number of sellers on ebay (all of them in Hong Kong) for €15-20 delivered. It's still going to be my go-to pad for snes gaming on a PC, but be under no illusions, the d-pad lets it down just a little for someone who's serious about their legal and above board emulation of snes games.

8 out of 10. It would have got a 9 easily if the d-pad were better, and a 10 if the overall build quality on the body and the shoulder buttons felt closer to the original. Otherwise it's a great pad, and it looks cool.

Apparently the red box version of Mario World is worth a few bob, well, worth more than the standard, and then most folk got it as a pack in.
    Nice haul, aside from Mortal Wombat, fup me but I don't like that pointless game.

Is the red box not the standard one?
    The yellow box marioworld is worth a bit more and the combo lack of mario all stars and marioworld is also worth a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Does the combo all stars + world have its own box? I don't think it does, it was just released as a console combo

nuxxx wrote: »
    Does the combo all stars + world have its own box? I don't think it does, it was just released as a console combo

It does, it's basically the yellow all star box with the marioworld title just added on. There was one on adverts a while back.

Yeah, happy to pick up my Allstars+World cart, despite having both as stand alone carts as well.
    It's simply the best value cart on the Snes.
    Oh, I know some (read Retr0) takes issue with some of the Nes conversions but it is a lovely cart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just got Miami Night in the steam sale, enjoying it so far. €6.49 aswell, not a bad deal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement