Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Picked up one of these today:

Nice little thing but unfortunately only 3 games available for it.

I've one myself. Used it for 5 mins and that was about it.
    Funky little thing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Got the weirdass CDi controller from the adverts ad ciderman posted. Always good to have a spare..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Steve SI wrote: »
    I've one myself. Used it for 5 mins and that was about it.
    Funky little thing though.

Yeah I doubt I'll be using it much, but a nice little desktop ornament!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,689 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got the weirdass CDi controller from the adverts ad ciderman posted. Always good to have a spare..

Nice, it's tough to find an actual controller that isn't those horrendous remote units and when they do appear they are expensive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

boo urns ! Missed that by about an hour , I've only the one CDI controller and ...ah hang on basically the games are all sh!t so it doesnt really matter.
    TBH dragons lair and an interactive Sting album (look I've weird taste in music ok) are about the only 2 useful things I've seen on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Dr Bob wrote: »
    boo urns ! Missed that by about an hour , I've only the one CDI controller and ...ah hang on basically the games are all sh!t so it doesnt really matter.
    TBH dragons lair and an interactive Sting album (look I've weird taste in music ok) are about the only 2 useful things I've seen on it.

:) Well the only reason I got it was I believe this is correct controller type for the 450.

And whats with the extra length leads ? If I was the AVGN I'd suggest its so you can sit far enough back that you can't see the POS any more..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,164 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just got this lovely looking yolk on adverts - works great.

I probably paid a bit more than it was worth. But had it dropped to my door by someone in Ireland and then tested.

Been after one for bloody ages. My Amiga just wasn't complete without it.

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Looks lovely o1s1n. But were you not offloading your Mig recently? :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I just bought that Serenity Ship Steve posted a while back (I blame you for posting it) along with about 10 other things from that thinkgeek site. the postage is so expensive you have to make sure you get everything off it in one go!

I also bought this last week, it was 35.99 at the time.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9063323/Trail/searchtext%3ETETRIS.htm

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Looks lovely o1s1n. But were you not offloading your Mig recently? :)

I was - purely because I had no time to try to get the harddrive reimaged myself :( I gave it a go but with no luck.

Then I saw a lad on ebay selling compact flash cards with workbench pre installed along with a load of software.

So it's just a matter of dropping a new compact flash card into the Mig and away I go.

Just have to find a place for the whole setup now!

• Advertisement

keithgeo wrote: »

Jesus, it's a crying shame that Alexey Pajitnov never saw a cent out of anything tetris related till almost 2000. The creator of one of the most enduring, generation spanning games ever developed, and he was completely shafted by Mother Russia. He was rewarded with a 286 clone and a nicer apartment than the rest of his public service colleagues had by the state, who got an enormous paycheque from nintendo.

I watched a documentary about it on Channel 4 a while back. Apparently the guy has residency in the US (probably initially courtesy of some strings being pulled by Nintendo in the 80's during the battle over the rights for what would eventually become the NES version of the game, but i think he eventially married a citizen). He worked in Microshaft till 2005 or so,as a mid-level, run-of-the-mill development guy, and now he runs the tetris company and is getting a cut of the merchandising profits (probably including your lamp keith:D). He seems like a really nice, down to earth bloke, not at all focused on the hundreds of millions of dollars in licensing rights he missed out on. He's just happy to have a nice life in the US of A and not be living in Russia anymore, and likes the fact that something he created has made millions of people happy for decades.

There were an initial run of tengen tetris carts (the rival to nintendo's version in the tetris rights lawsuit) made and shipped to stores before they lost the case. The shipment got recalled and warehoused/destroyed, but several thousand copies were sold before that happened. Now THAT would be a nice cart to have...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I'm really tempted to pick up a WiiU for myself... Amazon.fr are doing the Premium Bundle for €315 at the minute... so SO tempted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Im currently turning one of the cabs i got a week ago into a dedicated tetris cab, new artwork, cpo buttons, molding etc. I have a tetris pcb in the house to stick in it. The wife requested a tetris cab so who am i to argue!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Played on Kerbdogs new €200 cab and its wonderful, the button layout is a bit freaky, is there an easy way to fix that in an old cab?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Played on Kerbdogs new €200 cab and its wonderful, the button layout is a bit freaky, is there an easy way to fix that in an old cab?

A new cpo, & a drill :p

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    A new cpo, & a drill :p

I wouldn't even bother with metal and just make a new one out of wood. Much easier to do and sure you probably wouldn't even notice once it's together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Picked up a small haul of Lynx games today. I just couldn't resist them, so it was a bit of an act-now-think-later affair. Thing is, I don't have a Lynx. If I was to start hunting for one (though I can't see that happening this side of Xmas), what would be a reasonable price to pay?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Im currently turning one of the cabs i got a week ago into a dedicated tetris cab, new artwork, cpo buttons, molding etc. I have a tetris pcb in the house to stick in it. The wife requested a tetris cab so who am i to argue!

Was tempted to get a PCB of it myself a while back. Such a great game. One of the loudest too! Use to always feckin deafen me when playing the Aliens cab beside it in Amusement City many years ago. :pac:

Feck, have to get one now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I had a couple of Ps2 games arrive today, The two cases were both damaged in the post. One was really bad and the other had a piece broken from the bottom.The two games were described as like new and perfect by the seller. What got me was the state of the two games, I would describe them at best as fair. I took a couple of photos as I opened a case with paypal. I know games can get damaged in the post but I still don't know how sellers expect to get away with a wildly inaccurate descripton.
    p1020475l.jpg

p1020470t.jpg

p1020478gu.jpg

Da fug is going on in that 2nd pic? Looks like a dog got a hold of it or something? Hardly postal damage?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My gods, there's a lit light bulb stuck to the disk in the lower photo!
    Was that in the item description??? if not complain!!!

Da fug is going on in that 2nd pic? Looks like a dog got a hold of it or something? Hardly postal damage?

The whole case is split along the spine, in all my years I never got a game with that much damage on it.

Monkeykube wrote: »
    The whole case is split along the spine, in all my years I never got a game with that much damage on it.

Surely that was like that before being sent, can't imagine that would happen a closed case in a padded envelope?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Maybe the postal authorities opened it?

They opened a package of mine recently, when it was obviously a book. One of the clues was it being in cardboard packaging marked with the companies name on it. Said company being a massive online bookseller.
    The package came in the door 'resealed' by An Post. Resealed in this case meaning stuck back together with an post stickers and an elastic band.

Someone really didn't like Silent Hill 2!

But, really, that's a disgrace, negative feedback and a visit from the smack fairy is warranted.
    Not sure how much satisfaction you will get from someone who will simply fib in the original auction.

There were pieces of case in the envelope, there was a slight mark on the envelope but nothing to make me think it would be in sh1te. I got them off Ebay and not adverts so paypal should be okay.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Maybe the postal authorities opened it?

And cut the case with a scissors or something while opening it? Its possible I guess

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Someone really didn't like Silent Hill 2!

But, really, that's a disgrace, negative feedback and a visit from the smack fairy is warranted.
    Not sure how much satisfaction you will get from someone who will simply fib in the original auction.

I know I told the seller that even if the cases had not been damaged I would have sent them back due to the condition of manuals and disks.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    They opened a package of mine recently, when it was obviously a book. One of the clues was it being in cardboard packaging marked with the companies name on it. Said company being a massive online bookseller.

Do I feel an ever so slight touch of sarcasm? Irish seller on the games and the photographs looked okay, 100% feedback.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251189052033?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I just bought that Serenity Ship Steve posted a while back (I blame you for posting it) along with about 10 other things from that thinkgeek site. the postage is so expensive you have to make sure you get everything off it in one go!

I also bought this last week, it was 35.99 at the time.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9063323/Trail/searchtext%3ETETRIS.htm

That Serentity ship does look superb so you know its worth it :)
    On the postage thing, they now offer a discounted international postal option for the UK. So with a little Parcel Motel magic the shipping is a little cheaper.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement