Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

EnterNow wrote: »
    It must be expensive in PAL format is it? I see it on ebay us/ca for buttons...

Pal region you're looking at €45-60 easy. You can find it cheaper but its rare as feck. Only Pal version on ebay at the moment is a disk only at almost €30 :eek:. I was tempted to go down the multi region route before but nah. Those upside down boxes would drive me mental anyway :pac:

I honestly thought Rage was fairly priced. I mean they are the middle ground price wise but you can pick up the physical thing and look at it, browse and impulse buy in a way that just isn't possible online.

EDIT:
    OwaynOTT replied almost the exact same thing. Sorry bout that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,689 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find the stuff I buy online is usually in much better condition than the stuff in Rage. Especially from japanese sellers, it's like they store all their games in a vacuum chamber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Danonino. wrote: »
    I was tempted to go down the multi region route before but nah.

Well its win win with a modded Game Cube. NTSC consoles don't output RGB, but a PAL one does, & being region free, you can buy games from wherever you like - PAL, NTSC U & J

The game you bought is a text book example of how its a benefit. Sure its always nice to browse physically through stock etc...but when you can save so much on games its hard to want to do things any other way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

The game you bought is a text book example of how its a benefit. Sure its always nice to browse physically through stock etc...but when you can save so much on games its hard to want to do things any other way

I tend to do that sometimes. I'll go into a shop to do an online shopping list :P That way you get to rummage through games, then go home and get them at a cheaper price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I find the stuff I buy online is usually in much better condition than the stuff in Rage. Especially from japanese sellers, it's like they store all their games in a vacuum chamber.

I've only ever bought one game from Japan and that was the Japanese release of Shenmue. For a game that was just sitting in someone's house for 11 odd years it was in immaculate condition, the cardboard cover wasnt even frayed.

It didnt cost a huge amount either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

th_100_0281_zpsbc3fb3bf.jpg
    all a quid except the ps2/usb adaptor which was 2.(was in dealz but didnt see the GBA stuff).Rage is actually decent for computer stuff rather than console,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I guess we'll all simply have to wait to see Steves shop show RAGE how it's done!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I guess we'll all simply have to wait to see Steves shop show RAGE how it's done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Picked these up in Dealz of all places. A very odd find indeed. And not very good ones at that. Still, can't go wrong for €1.49

saw them too before (Dundrum I think), nearly bought the poker one.

I had no idea the NTSC Gamecubes didn't output in RGB. You learn something new everyday :D I can definitely see why someone would collect NTSC over pal though, price difference especially is sometimes massive. Might do it for the SNES once I have my cube finished. Don't have many games collected so would be easy enough to sell and start again.

The cube was the first system I really bought games for. My brother had sold our snes and I remember never having money to buy N64 games. I swore I would never trade in a cube game and buy every game I wanted to play on it, Finally I'm getting close. Working in Smyths for the cube years was great. Pretty much all my wages went back into the workplace. Glad I got such an awesome discount at the time and got to buy so many awesome games with it, official rgb cable, link cables, pads and everything else.... sigh... I miss that job and the fact I had no problem spending 90% of my wages on games and had the time to play them :'(
    Might look into getting the titles that never seen a PAL release once I 'finish'. Things like Alien Hominid and the mega man collection.

Cant help the rants :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,689 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My adviceis not to pick up Alien Hominid, it's a stinker.

Had it for the original xbox and now for xbox live arcade. The main game is almost hair pulling hard and not very fun but the PDA games on the original were awesome. Especially the level editor :D but yeah take away that and its a bit meh. Was very annoyed when I bought the live version and they removed the editor and instead charged for 'packs' of levels :mad: snakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Danonino. wrote: »
    I had no idea the NTSC Gamecubes didn't output in RGB.

Just chiming in here with a nerd comment - you are right saying the NTSC cube doesn't do RGB, but component has a superior image quality on a HDTV and only NTSC games output component.

But then you have the price of a Gamecube component cable to consider. They are pricey buggers.

Isn't svideo the affordable compromise for the 'cube? Not RGB great but close enough?

Just chiming in here with a nerd comment - you are right saying the NTSC cube doesn't do RGB, but component has a superior image quality on a HDTV and only NTSC games output component.

But the cube looks so much better on a crt anyway, plus those cables can be over €100 if you can find one. Hell even the Wii looks better on a crt than it does on a flat panel, if it wasn't optimized for a 16:9 display I'd have mine connected to the crt full time.

Also you can make an NTSC RGB cable, but you still need the digital video cable to do it - http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/ntsc-gamecube-rgb-cable/
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Isn't svideo the affordable compromise for the 'cube? Not RGB great but close enough?

Because the N64 has a lower resolution than the Cube, I think the N64 gets away with the svideo/rgb comparison somewhat more than the Cube does. The Cube being a far higher resoultion, exposes the weaknesses in composite/av/svideo etc. But yeah, I guess its a decent tradeoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

But the cube looks so much better on a crt anyway, plus those cables can be over €100 if you can find one.

very interesting to hear another opinion. We cleared 120 shines recently on mario sunshine. The first 60 or so shines of the game were played on cube with RGB to the crt trinitron (looked great). Then for the last 60 or so shines we plugged it into the main 50" plasma tv with the component cable and enabled progressive mode . Our jaws dropped - the jump in quality literally looked like going from SD to HD. The quality of the image was crisp and perfect.

You have use NTSC games and hold the B button down at boot time to enable progressive mode, plus set the TV to 4:3 mode to avoid stretching.

Or use a wii in cube mode with it's component cable for a cheaper option.

Just my "tuppence" worth!

I got a copy of Einhander, Radiant Silvergun, Kirby's nightmare in dreamland (on DS of all consoles) and the japanese only PS3 version of Steel Battalion with a controller that required 8 AA batteries covered in peanut butter. I got them in the new retrogame shop in dublin that's located high up in that mountain quarry.

What a weird dream.

Then for the last 60 or so shines we plugged it into the main 50" plasma tv with the component cable and enabled progressive mode . Our jaws dropped - the jump in quality literally looked like going from SD to HD

Yeah I've seen it running component over a 42" before, its very impressive no disputing that. But I still prefer it in RGB on a native 4:3 screen, just something about it that makes it better for me...can't quite put my finger on it! The black borders at the side of a 16:9 screen while in 4:3 mode I find quite off putting too.

Horses for courses I guess :)

no piccie, but got the Tengen NES version of Gauntlet today :)
    (and randomly picked up the spectrum version yesterday)

• Advertisement

oh yeah Blood/Blood II are on sale over on GOG again today two fiddy each inlcuding all the expansions. Blood II isnt quite as good as one (like a cheesy horror movie only done Half-Life 1 style) , but its still very enjoyable.

very interesting to hear another opinion. We cleared 120 shines recently on mario sunshine. The first 60 or so shines of the game were played on cube with RGB to the crt trinitron (looked great). Then for the last 60 or so shines we plugged it into the main 50" plasma tv with the component cable and enabled progressive mode . Our jaws dropped - the jump in quality literally looked like going from SD to HD. The quality of the image was crisp and perfect.

You have use NTSC games and hold the B button down at boot time to enable progressive mode, plus set the TV to 4:3 mode to avoid stretching.

Or use a wii in cube mode with it's component cable for a cheaper option.

Just my "tuppence" worth!

I've been playing my cube games through the wii over component for fecking ages now, I must get the cube out to compare sometime :)

Couple of modern bits today. Looking forward to trying out akai katana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Couple of modern bits today. Looking forward to trying out akai katana.

Did you take that picture in Australia?

Achilles wrote: »

Did you take that picture in Australia?

Yes. I flew to Australia to take a picture of 2 games and flew home. That's just how I roll!

@Atavan - I was in Dealz in DD last night & they only had those poker GBA games left. If your in there again & spot that other shooter type game will you pick it up for me & I shall sort thou out with coinage :)

@Atavan - I was in Dealz in DD last night & they only had those poker GBA games left. If your in there again & spot that other shooter type game will you pick it up for me & I shall sort thou out with coinage :)

Will do. They had GBA Games in the deals in blanch too a couple of weeks ago. Think they were the same.

Will do. They had GBA Games in the deals in blanch too a couple of weeks ago. Think they were the same.
    never seem to see those gba games there myself . Ton of cheapo wii/dsi accessories though.ANd decent enough USB-PS2 adaptors which anyone who likes emulation at all should have a few of..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,164 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Feck sake, not having a good night! First I find a deal pixel on a new tablet, now my cable setup for my Commodore monitor isn't working.

So I have it like this -

RGB console out to male scart > female scart block (both sides) > male scart to DIN 6 female > DIN 6 male to DIN 6 male.

No picture. :mad:

Think I may just give up and get an Amiga cable for it and use it just for that.

• Advertisement

Male to female?

The only way to do it is reverse cowgirl with the car passenger seat laid flat.

Note: never sit in my passenger seat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement