Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Achilles wrote: »
    Source?

Just searched ebay, Wii stick, cheapest item was the Logic 3 Arcade Stick, it sells for around 15 elsewhere.
    Apparently it will also work a treat with the likes of Tekken on the WiiU, not that I'm likely to run out and get it anytime soon!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just sold my kaput 60gb PS3 for €30 and then bought Ni No Kuni for €50 off a guy, so it cost me €20, happy with that.
    Now to play the first 20 minutes and then never play it again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

For some reason I've always wanted a Commando arcade board, not that I've played the orignal arcade machine before but have fond memories of playing the game on a Commodore 64 and Amstrad CPC464.
    Well, I was on holiday in a place with internet access...bad move, eBay happened :) It was half the price (inc. crazy shipping costs) of another board was I eyeing up before.

A Classic Capcom to JAMMA adapter on route also.

240887.png

This might just end up in a frame on the wall. While I have a New Net City to JAMMA kit for my cab I can't see myself rotating the monitor :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Few more cheapo discs picked up.

8471850096_d77d1e0031_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,164 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Bit bored this evening so I thought I'd take that ISS Sample I picked up recently apart.

First interesting thing, no security screws. Just standard ones. I'm pretty sure all the other carts like this I have which I've opened up had gamebits. I guess Konami weren't that concerned with anyone ripping off the code :eek:

DSC_0040_zps30c288e2.jpg

Back of the battery looks like it's been hand soldered.

DSC_00401_zpsbe966d63.jpg

Standard eeprom chips you see on samples and protos. I do like when the windows have been covered up by the developers :)

DSC_0041_zps462b8f15.jpg

Here's why they didn't care about the security screws, the eeproms have been soldered to the board through little rings. I think my other snes samples have socketed chips? Will need to check.

DSC_00412_zps367f3180.jpg

Only had a quick blast but it looks to be the same as retail. Ah well, can't go wrong with €30! :)

• Advertisement

All good barring Midway 3, never liked it and I have it there.
    The other two are gold.

I picked up a few things today,

Kidou Soukou Dion- Snes
    $(KGrHqF,!jUE65jdWOSEBO8-UQV8Rw~~60_35.JPG

1943- Famicom
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGLRWcFJOZJQOUocDtr5BcispmE-FHGDUDuLHZMbVWpXXUbVAlHw

Twinbee- Famicom
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDg2Um1stjiMopwrvCyioK7CtZ-90YTdb7czMeN5Q9N6_iNadwJg

Tiger Heli- Famicom
    $(KGrHqR,!hgE457YdfHuBOZ06GQRrg~~60_35.JPG

And I bought and collected them from.... Pyongyang!

Great to see and talk to him again, we won't see him at this Beers but hopefully one soon, all is cool anywho, which is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

o1s1n wrote: »
    Bit bored this evening so I thought I'd take that ISS Sample I picked up recently apart.

First interesting thing, no security screws. Just standard ones. I'm pretty sure all the other carts like this I have which I've opened up had gamebits. I guess Konami weren't that concerned with anyone ripping off the code :eek:

DSC_0040_zps30c288e2.jpg

Back of the battery looks like it's been hand soldered.

DSC_00401_zpsbe966d63.jpg

Standard eeprom chips you see on samples and protos. I do like when the windows have been covered up by the developers :)

DSC_0041_zps462b8f15.jpg

Here's why they didn't care about the security screws, the eeproms have been soldered to the board through little rings. I think my other snes samples have socketed chips? Will need to check.

DSC_00412_zps367f3180.jpg

Only had a quick blast but it looks to be the same as retail. Ah well, can't go wrong with €30! :)

I thought the screws where a bit unusual for a snes cart all right. I never gave it a whirl myself and would be interested if it deviated much from the released version. Is it the jp or uk/euro version?
    If its pal I think it is a full year between it and the release, you'd imagine there would be a difference.
    Its a steal for 30..I had a guy tell me it was worth 60-70 pounds if it differed much. He sells a lot of those type of things.

Also just got first editions of Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett's first two discworld books for €48 including post.
    My discworld collection is really coming along and I'm even venturing into variant covers now, which is kind of worrying.

Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I thought the screws where a bit unusual for a snes cart all right. I never gave it a whirl myself and would be interested if it deviated much from the released version. Is it the jp or uk/euro version?
    If its pal I think it is a full year between it abd the release, you'd imagine thete woukd be a difference.
    Its a steal for 30..I had a guy tell me it was worth 60-70 pounds if it differed much. He sells a lot of those type of things.

It was released in Japan in November 94 - a month before this Sample.

However it's the PAL English version of the game... the retail English release wasn't until 6 months later. So it all depends why the English version was delayed so long really! Maybe there's a difference in the translation. I'll have a look out for that.

Price varies a lot. I've bought an early version beta which is worth a good few quid for a mere 40 or 50 on ebay...then bought samples for far more which turned out to be just the retail release on eeproms. Luck of the draw really!

If something is different to retail and undumped, it's always going to be worth a bit...but unfortunately most of these carts had more than one made, so they've all long since been dumped.

Haven't been able to find an image of this around though.

It was released in Japan in November 94 - a month before this Sample.

However it's the PAL English version of the game... the retail English release wasn't until 6 months later. So it all depends why the English version was delayed so long really! Maybe there's a difference in the translation. I'll have a look out for that.

Price varies a lot. I've bought an early version beta which is worth a good few quid for a mere 40 or 50 on ebay...then bought samples for far more which turned out to be just the retail release on eeproms. Luck of the draw really!

If something is different to retail and undumped, it's always going to be worth a bit...but unfortunately most of these carts had more than one made, so they've all long since been dumped.

Haven't been able to find an image of this around though.

I found to get hard to get any info at all really but thing I don't usually truck with that kind of stuff and didn't really know where to look.
    If it turns out to be extremely rare and an absolute amazing find, I expect to be reunited with it now o1s1n and fairly sharpish I might add.

On a unrelated note I recently picked up two gamecube games to add to my collection. Twin Snakes and Mario Baseball.
    All ready have Twin Snakes but the box was a bit tatty and was missing one or two bits of paperwork. Got this for €12 from adverts and it was in Athlone so sister done the leg work on it. Couldn't really pass it up for that price.
    Mario Baseball is a new opened copy, like what Xtravision sometimes do, that originally came from Ken Blacks in Portlaoise and I got it from a guy from my hometown. Not an amazing price but still decent at €40 when the condition is looked at.
    They are my only gaming purchases since Chrono Trigger and Saturn Bomberman from before Christmas. It really has been a drought for me in the last 2 months. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

For anybody starting out on the Gamecube route US releases are a lot cheaper in comparison to PAL titles. PAL games have held their value and still command high enough prices for the more sought after games.

Master of the Universe

One problem with US gamecubes - they don't output RGB.

I have an S video cable for mine and it is better than composite, but it's still not quite as nice as RGB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I have an S video cable for mine and it is better than composite, but it's still not quite as nice as RGB.

A €5 XenoGC chip in a PAL console = RGB Region Free Goodness. Though you can use the likes of freeloader, I'm not a fan of boot/loader discs at all

Re Gamecube, I'm pretty happy with it as it is, then again, it doesn't get switched on very often now.
    Last new thing for it was Chibi Robo, must pick up a few more things.

After all these years I have learned something new about Gamecube software. The NTSC software actually outputs in 480p where as PAL software is 480i. Just tried it on a Jap Cube with Star Soldier and it's true 480p. There is no option given on the PAL machine when using the cable. I don't think it would make any difference if you used a NTSC machine with a free loader and PAL games. Why do we always get shafted in Europe by Nintendo and why did they ever put the component port on PAL machines in the first place?

Monkeykube wrote: »
    After all these years I have learned something new about Gamecube software. The NTSC software actually outputs in 480p where as PAL software is 480i. Just tried it on a Jap Cube with Star Soldier and it's true 480p. There is no option given on the PAL machine when using the cable. I don't think it would make any difference if you used a NTSC machine with a free loader and PAL games. Why do we always get shafted in Europe by Nintendo and why did they ever put the component port on PAL machines in the first place?

I'll have to check but I'm fairly sure a chipped PAL GC allows you to boot the games in 480p, so the console at least is capable of doing it. Stupid restrictions are stupid

If you can find out I would get it done tomorrow, I hope it's not true I read it here. Don't think I would bother replacing all my PAL games at this stage, possibly play backups on a chipped machine if you can still get the cases with the big lids;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_GameCube_games_with_480p_and_16:9_support

I must get my GC chpped so, it was supplanted for some time, in the living room at least, by the GC functionality of the Wii, now the WiiU rules the living room it is the Wii's turn to live in the shade, while the GC will be getting some much needed use at long last!
    Chipping will make it region free, yes?
    Awesome, the one game I want there is the Mr Driller title, Drill Land.

If you can find out I would get it done tomorrow, I hope it's not true I read it here. Don't think I would bother replacing all my PAL games at this stage, possibly play backups on a chipped machine if you can still get the cases with the big lids;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_GameCube_games_with_480p_and_16:9_support

Its listed as being able to:
    Force NTSC display mode - Press X button during disc load.
    PAL/NTSC region force

http://www.eurasia.nu/shop/product_info.php?cPath=53&products_id=300

Seems to work alright, its the games that are limited not the hardware:
    That's right. I was able to run Baten Kaitos Origins (US) and Adventure Island (J) in progressive mode on a PAL Xeno Gamecube.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?35214-Xeno-GC/page2

• Advertisement

There was a lad on Adverts selling them before. I traded games with him before and he's sound, I sent him a message to see if he had any left. If he has a few I will see if he would do a deal on a few if anybody else was interested in getting one.

There was a lad on Adverts selling them before. I traded games with him before and he's sound, I sent him a message to see if he had any left. If he has a few I will see if he would do a deal on a few if anybody else was interested in getting one.

Dont think I have any left, all i can see in my box 'o' chips is xbox ones, i'll have another check around later and let ya know.

If you turn one up I will take it off you, thanks.

Master of the Universe

Okay so this is game related, but it's also film related.

There were 200 props being sold off from the recent Dredd film. I had to get something as I'm a huge Dredd fan and absolutely loved the film - this was probably the cheapest opportunity to get the stuff.

Unfortunately everything was selling for quite more than I'd expected. (actually, a LOT more than I'd expected!)

One little snippet I thought was really cool in the film is when the camera was scanning through loads of apartments in Peach Trees - in one of them there's a little kid playing a VR game called 'Brain Rage'.

brainrage_zps394c9614.jpg

Obviously, for me, that would be a crazy prop to own! The one videogame in the whole film.

The Judges helmets were selling for thousands, so I had a feeling when I saw this pop up it would cost a fortune too.

Threw a (comparatively) low ball snipe down at the end and won it!

Here's the blurb

An original "Brain Rage" computer game helmet worn by a young Peach Trees boy early in the movie when Ma Ma (Lena Headey) locks down the block, playing innocently and unaware of the danger erupting around him. The adapted helmet features a sticker with the name of the game emblazoned across the crown, a ‘timer’ at the front, a SD card read for the game ‘card’, poseable microphone and polarised visor that when pulled to the full ‘down’ position activated a string of LEDs inside to create an awesome distorted illusion. It measures 24cm x 27cm x 23cm (9.5” x 10.5” x 9”) and is in a good condition with intentional production distress to fit the surroundings of the concrete slum.

brainrage2_zps8b35d51e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Was watching few of those auctions myself.
    Few nice bits up from Dredd from that seller and if that vr thingy is screen used you got it for a steal dude :)

I like to grab a movie prop from time to time myself if its something interesting and not going for mental money. It's damn addictive though but a hell of a feeling owning something that appeared onscreen in a movie.

Master of the Universe

I was originally going for Ma-ma's costume from the end of the film with some effect holes, but I'm really glad I lost out on it. The bidding ended at a good €100 more than the VR helmet.

It looks to be screen used alright. That's what Propstore London are saying anyway. :)

The price was crazy cheap. As a comparison, a set of Mega City One credits sold for almost twice the price!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DREDD-Full-Set-of-Original-Mega-City-One-Credits-116-/200890758617?pt=UK_DVD_Film_TV_Film_Memorabilia_LE&hash=item2ec605b5d9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Maybe they can add the funds raised by the auctions to the overall takings for the film, and make enough to warrant a sequel!!

Master of the Universe

That slo mo inhaler went for silly money. As did a lot of similar auctions. I think they took in over £100,000 feom these auctions. The blueray sold 650,000 copies in January (top of the charts) we may just see a Dredd 2 yet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Still about a 10 million loss on the film :(

I'd love to see a dredd sequel...might come out along with a new splatterhouse :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement