Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Ok balls firstly and secondly is there some sort of an adapter or something I cancer so it will fit/work?
    Cheers

You can get a scart adapter that has an S-Video in connection but I'm not sure if this would reduce video quality or not.

Something like this would do the job quite nicely:
    http://www.adverts.ie/tv/new-gold-plated-scart-rca-s-video-adapter-converter-video-audio-composite-120/1743930

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=160565592059

Would something like this work maybe?

I'm not at home now but I presume the tv would have a VGA slot to make that work.

Is it the right hook up for the svideo cable though?

God all I want to do is play N64 !! Lol

Achilles wrote: »

You can get a scart adapter that has an S-Video in connection but I'm not sure if this would reduce video quality or not.

Something like this would do the job quite nicely:
    http://www.adverts.ie/tv/new-gold-plated-scart-rca-s-video-adapter-converter-video-audio-composite-120/1743930

Fair play I'll order one today.

Thanks a mil. A wealth of knowledge here as always!

Ps would it affect the video quality would anyone care to hazard a guess/know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ps would it affect the video quality would anyone care to hazard a guess/know?

Once its a properly wired up svideo to scart adapter then no it wouldn't affect quality. If its a cheapo svideo to av scart then your back to square one. I use one with my setup, can't remember where I got it, but theres no reduction in image quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,164 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah it all just depends whether the scart adapter takes the S video signal and sends it to TV. RGB scart does have an S video pin, so it's possible.

You can get a picture with that S video cable if you just connect the red and white cables - it would be a composite picture though (and as you said Enternow, you're back to square 1)

When you do get the S video cable connected in, you don't need to connect both the other two wires. Just the sound one.

If you connect the s video cable and both the red and white wire, there's distortion across the screen.

• Advertisement

I think this one should work fine - http://www.lindy.ie/scart-adapter-s-video-composite-audio/35570.html

35570big.jpg

@o1s1n - the red & white rca jacks are for the stereo sound, there's no phono plug for video on the modded pal svideo cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah it all just depends whether the scart adapter takes the S video signal and sends it to TV. RGB scart does have an S video pin, so it's possible.

You can get a picture with that S video cable if you just connect the red and white cables - it would be a composite picture though (and as you said Enternow, you're back to square 1)

When you do get the S video cable connected in, you don't need to connect both the other two wires. Just the sound one.

If you connect the s video cable and both the red and white wire, there's distortion across the screen.

The red and white are both audio signals and should be connected although depending on the console they may both be the same mono signal.

http://www.adverts.ie/tv/new-gold-pl...te-120/1743930

Went with this one. Hopefully collect it in the next day or two, save on postage.

Will let ye know how I get on.

Cheers for the help again lads.

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    I think this one should work fine - http://www.lindy.ie/scart-adapter-s-video-composite-audio/35570.html

35570big.jpg

@o1s1n - the red & white rca jacks are for the stereo sound, there's no phono plug for video on the modded pal svideo cable
    The red and white are both audio signals and should be connected although depending on the console they may both be the same mono signal.

Oh really? On my Gamecube S video cable, one of those cables carries composite video and the other one mono sound.

Oh really? On my Gamecube S video cable, one of those cables carries composite video and the other one mono sound.

Well that's...

...a little bit messed up!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I have a Megadrive S video cable somewhere which does exactly the same thing too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Picked up the not very retro Alice for the PS3 for 11.99 in Gamestop Balbriggan, I like Lewis Carroll and the stories so for that alone it was worth picking up.
    Also, got Madworld for a fiver for the Wii.
    I was looking fro Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom but no sign of it there, must keep my peepers open, it's the closest I'll get to The Last Guardian in this gen!

I have a Megadrive S video cable somewhere which does exactly the same thing too.

Red & White phono jacks are universally audio colours...they must be mono cables with one of the audio jacks wired to the av pin in the scart lead or something

Master of the Universe

Red & White phono jacks are universally audio colours...they must be mono cables with one of the audio jacks wired to the av pin in the scart lead or something

I thought it was some odd standard of S video cables. That they include a composite video cable and mono sound just in case the person plugging the device in doesn't have an S video socket on their television.

With the gamecube, if I plug both cables in, I can switch to the composite channel and see the gamecube picture and then switch to the S video one and see it too :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,689 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was looking fro Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom but no sign of it there, must keep my peepers open, it's the closest I'll get to The Last Guardian in this gen!

I had my eye out for it as well and picked it up in balbriggan the minute it appeared a few days ago, sorry :P

I thought it was some odd standard of S video cables. That they include a composite video cable and mono sound just in case the person plugging the device in doesn't have an S video socket on their television.

With the gamecube, if I plug both cables in, I can switch to the composite channel and see the gamecube picture and then switch to the S video one and see it too :)

Maybe thats it, I've just never seen a cable that sent video through the normally accepted audio colours. Are these proper 3rd party cables of diy ones?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I had my eye out for it as well and picked it up in balbriggan the minute it appeared a few days ago, sorry :P

That's fine, you can apologise to me in person when I drag you onto the mean Balbriggan streets and shoot you like a dog....

Or I might just tell Sauron you're sneaking games into Mordor the house and watch you become homeless.....

Decisions, decisions!

Master of the Universe

Maybe thats it, I've just never seen a cable that sent video through the normally accepted audio colours. Are these proper 3rd party cables of diy ones?

It's very possible the Megadrive one I had used yellow for the video signal and the other one was white. It's been years since I saw it (actually it came with that Genesis 3 which I passed on to yourself age ago)

Maybe the Gamecube video signal cable is yellow too and I've just gone mad. Will have a look later this evening.

It's very possible the Megadrive one I had used yellow for the video signal and the other one was white. It's been years since I saw it (actually it came with that Genesis 3 which I passed on to yourself age ago)

Maybe the Gamecube video signal cable is yellow too and I've just gone mad. Will have a look later this evening.

Yeah composite video is yellow, not white. Don't worry I'll give you a slap later on. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Tekken2 jamma board for the work Atomiswave cab. Just need to modify the SF2:HF kick to AWSD harness (from FrancoB) so it can connect up to the additional 48-Pin "extra feature connector"

241972.jpg

• Advertisement

In spite of Retr0's blatant poaching of the game Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
    , I found another copy in Swords, and picked it up for 11.99, so happy days and fup you Poacher Retr0!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Got my coin mech back from alien_mame over on AO. Had it adjusted to accept 20c coins.

He sorted it out within an hour and didn't charge me anything - for the service and return postage!

Highly recommended and sound to boot.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Tekken2 jamma board for the work Atomiswave cab. Just need to modify the SF2:HF kick to AWSD harness (from FrancoB) so it can connect up to the additional 48-Pin "extra feature connector"

Very nice board! If only the arcade version had the ps1 intro included it would be on my must buy list!

What is the extra feature connector?

Master of the Universe

Got my coin mech back from alien_mame over on AO. Had it adjusted to accept 20c coins.

He sorted it out within an hour and didn't charge me anything - for the service and return postage!

Highly recommended and sound to boot.

I did my one for 20c coins too. Worth trying it yourself if you have time, its pretty interesting seeing how the mechanism works.

I did my one for 20c coins too. Worth trying it yourself if you have time, its pretty interesting seeing how the mechanism works.

I had it sort of working myself but gradually more and more coins kept getting stuck.

I got sick of it then sent it off to Ralph.

Even he the coin mech guru said it was one of the trickier ones he had done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

The best way to save money in your house is getting a coin mech!

Very nice board! If only the arcade version had the ps1 intro included it would be on my must buy list!

What is the extra feature connector?

The extra connector has the Kick1&2 input for player 1&2. Punch1&2 for player 1&2 are on the JAMMA connector. It also has the right speaker +/- as I take it if you select stereo in the service menu, left speaker +/- will come from the JAMMA connector (instead of mono) and the right audio through the extra edge connector.
    More info here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

edit: nm will stick up pictures tomorrow instead

Got replacement chassis yesterday, swapped out the old one and got this :(

dscf0724j.jpg

not impressed

• Advertisement

Got replacement chassis yesterday, swapped out the old one and got this :(

dscf0724j.jpg

not impressed

Any more information on your problem. What was wrong with the old chassis? Couldn't it be sent for a little TLC instead of replacing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement