Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

My favourite cases by far, love them little guys :)

dscf0765b.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Oh god!!!! Must be coherent but @! $#+?♡♥¿ lovely cardboard@#$× gawd! Want major want.

Jeez there lovely. Time to sell off all my pal gamecube games and go jp whilst simultaneously exchanging pal snes for us snes.
    Thank gawd I started on jp Saturn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I bought the GC at the Japanese launch and it still irks that European gamers just didn't get the machine, people who dissed Luigis Mansion! Even when Biohazard was released they still didn't get it, I'll warrant that amongst those with such a narrow view of gaming that they have only ever played a console with a PS or Xbox logo on have never played the incredible remake of the PS classic. Probably still think Resi 4 was launched on the PS2 as well, worthless numptys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Achilles wrote: »
    I picked up Resident Evil: Code Veronica X in a charity shop not too long ago for 50c.

I feel violated, think I paid a euro.:mad: I'm guilty of having it on jap DC and pal GC too both of which I got off lads on here. I wouldn't mind but it's not the greatest. Had to get the last one to finish the set on GC I think there's 6 in all. RE4 is definitely in the my top 5 games of all time, shame it all went downhill after it. I'm hoping the upcoming 360 Revelations will get things back on track. The 3ds version is addictive and the raid mode is good if you just want to pass a bit of time. The real goal on the ghost ship is a nice touch and a decent challange.

To reiterate how bad pal dc artwork is.
    [IMG][/img]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/p1020585j.jpg/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It was the Santry branch.
    They had tons of them in stock.
    FYI, the smart phone pouch fits Snoopy Tennis great, happy days!

Not really something new, but found a Taito X set of roms, four of them, going to try to make the attendant emulator work within Hyperspin.
    Every time I get close to finishing tidying that up another wrinkle appears!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Hadn't got any games in ages, Chibi Robo PP came this morning! <3
    jigsaw_save_temp.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Another late night run to Parcel Motel, another shmup. This time it's Sky Shark (or Flying Shark) by Toaplan, 1987. Proper old school balls hard shooter. Very colourful and cool music. The PCB itself needs a decent clean but she works prefect, fairly large board actually. Think that's my 11th vert shooter now. Happy days. :D

6FA8wt8.jpg

h9w6xTE.jpg

aNBu8BM.jpg

Obligatory scanline pics :cool:

5eo26o6.jpg

5SQXzTQ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Another late night run to Parcel Motel, another shmup.

That should be your sig man :D

Lovely GET!, the board looks huge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

As an aside I'm toying with the idea of putting a scanline generator in my bartop when I'm building it for that pseudo authentic feel (there won't be enough room for a CRT).

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks.

Achilles wrote: »
    As an aside I'm toying with the idea of putting a scanline generator in my bartop when I'm building it for that pseudo authentic feel (there won't be enough room for a CRT).

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks.

SLG3000 seems to be popular.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    SLG3000 seems to be popular.

Thanks for that! Definately something I'd invest in when it's all up and running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

If you can solder then go for this

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/other/vga-scanlines.htm

Costs only a few quid and works great, I use them in my bartops with the multiboard PCBs.

But if its a Mame cabinet then the Mame scanlines are actually pretty good. The only advantage to installing a hardware scanline jobbie is a consistent look across the frontend and all emulators.

If you can solder then go for this

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/other/vga-scanlines.htm

Costs only a few quid and works great, I use them in my bartops with the multiboard PCBs.

But if its a Mame cabinet then the Mame scanlines are actually pretty good. The only advantage to installing a hardware scanline jobbie is a consistent look across the frontend and all emulators.

I set fire to something the last time I tried to solder...

So I'd say I'm up to the challenge! Yeah I suppose I could see what mame generated scanlines are like first.

Hopefully I'll have Hyperspin in the unit if the motherboard from my old PC is big enough to fit into the box so I'll have that on the go... I may want a hardware scanline generator for a unified look across all consoles / arcade games etc.

Then there may also be a time that I'll install a jamma loom as I'd love to get Tekken Tag up and running on the unit purely for nostalgic reasons and that'll need some scanlines!

I have fond memories of beating up randomers in Atari Expo years ago on tekken tag... I know that the PS2 version is far superior but I still think the arcade original has it's charm.

Hyperspin can do its own scanlines as well which are pretty close to the Mame ones.
    But I did find some of the console emulators either could not produce scanlines or looked way too different too the frontend to be usable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,169 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

SLG3000 is extremely easy and hassle free to use. Just plug it in somewhere along a VGA signal chain, flip a switch and that's it. Couldn't recommend it enough.

never seen arcade forge before,
    anybody ever use them?
    looks like good prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

o1s1n wrote: »
    SLG3000 is extremely easy and hassle free to use. Just plug it in somewhere along a VGA signal chain, flip a switch and that's it. Couldn't recommend it enough.

These any use?

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44767

safetyboy wrote: »

Spotted that post the other day. I see user "Fudoh" says it's great - he knows an awful lot about scan lines and all that craic. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,169 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

safetyboy wrote: »

Not a bad price at all! If I remember correctly, the SLG3000 is about three times the price.

It's not as nice as the SLG3000 (The SLG has a dial to increase or decrease the strength of the scanlines, can't see anything like that on this at all) but for the price you can't go wrong.

Do keep in mind though that it's only VGA compatible out of the box. So anything over a VGA line. Will be grand for a PC.

If you want to run consoles etc through it though you need to get a scaler.

The SLG3000 is way overpriced for what it is really. You really are paying a premium for the packaging and a 3 way pot.

The retrovga is based on the scanline circuit I posted earlier and a good bit cheaper, also available with a 3 way pot.

http://faiscaefumaca.com.br/retro/retrovga

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

whats the 3 way pot thing?

• Advertisement

keithgeo wrote: »

Three way potentiometer?

keithgeo wrote: »

Potentiometer between the R-G-B lines and ground. Lets you control how 'black' the added scanline will be.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Got this today for the Time Crisis Cab!

IMG_4411.jpg

Jumped in and early yesterday morning caught the last of the bargains on XBL, bought MGS Peacewalker and Max Payne 3.
    The former is everything I knew it was going to be, and I nearly dozed off a few times, no matter how hard I try I just can't get into those games! Isn't the series ready for an option to have some regular 3rd person controls?
    The latter seems cool and impressive, very "cinematic" and all that, pity then, once the gameplay kicks in, that it feels exactly like the original and it's sequel, same mechanics, despite some 11 years between the original and this one.
    Ok so, the cover system is new, but hardly a new feature given that the only titles not to have a cover system now are sports!
    I was/am a little disappointed but, for a fiver, it's still a good deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

only game I bought in that sale was Rayman Raving Rabbids for 240 points (€2.99 if you paid by CC).

although I did also buy Fighting Vipers for 400 points.

I have Fighting Vipers on the Saturn, haven't played that in about 8 years!
    I preferred Fighter Megamix back then as well, still have that too!

Picked up bits for a few more 60-in-1 bartops :)

8534217246_8144c0990b_c.jpg

Picked up bits for a few more 60-in-1 bartops :)

8534217246_8144c0990b_c.jpg

Mind if I ask where you got that from?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

ah ha! at long last a new get, and its not even all that retro, it was bargain though!

• Advertisement

Just got House of the Dead Overkill in the post, £5.99 posted, happy days!
    Also ordered a couple of new 1p/2p start buttons as well as an amplifier for the speakers on the cab.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement