Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

What even worse is the state of manuals now. I sued to love when there was a good bit of effort put into manuals, now they are basically a page telling to you go to a website and make sure your console is online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Cover art has really gone down the ****ter these days. Two of the most absurd and misrepresentative covers help make up today's double haul:

orjkft.jpg

Bioshock at least is reversible!

ra3f37.jpg

The bad cover art is intentional:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/12/bioshock-infinite-box-art/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,177 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well, I have to say, that is one of the most stupid reasons I've heard for anything, ever.

'We want more morons to play our games, therefore gave it a cover which will appeal to morons'

On the flip side, I absolutely adore games but for some reason have never played the Bioshock games too much. If I walked into a shop and saw that cover, I wouldn't even glance again. If it had the second cover I'd pick it up out of interest as it's unusual.

Just think of them as being on a crusade to convert "morons" into better educated gamers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Well, I have to say, that is one of the most stupid reasons I've heard for anything, ever.

Could they not have just saved themselves the hassle & designed decent, iconic cover art? The whole thing smells like typical corporate bs, they designed a generic bland cover & did it on purpose? Yeah, sure :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

What a game cover looks like when it tries to stay in sync with the artistic direction of the game.

256px-Ico_cover_-_EU%2BJP.jpg

What happens when they try to appeal to the great unwashed

Ico.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1344381990306

The annoying thing is that the great unwashed will forget about the game soon after completing it. While the likes of us will have go on looking at the crappy cover in our collections until the end of time! :(

well played o1s1n

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I don't see what the big deal is at all. Maybe if it was some limited edition version you were forking out silly money for - then you'd expect or hope for decent cover art. Standard 360 game cases all look cack anyway.

It didn't stop Johnny_Ultimate from buying it nor will it stop anyone that was looking forward to the game. So if the generic cover means a few more 'morons' buy it then that's a good thing surely.

I buy games for the game not the art,
    once I'm finished with one I flog it.
    Im not a game collector,never will be!

Master of the Universe

Well, without wanting to get into the whole 'games as art' thing or me moaning on about being a collector and liking nice presentation I'll just boil it down to the following -

With the amount of production and care sunk into making that game apparently 'spectacular', the cover, likewise, should have been something spectacular.

That's not me being an art snob or a collector or anything, it's common sense. Why skimp out on a rubbish cover when you've just dedicated years to a project. Bit mind boggling really.

I do really like the reverse cover. The fact that they couldn't use that as the standard cover makes me sad.

It's like Led Zeppelin removing the old man with the sticks for Zep IV and replacing it with something akin to the X Factor logo to try and sell it to X Factor consumers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Here's a few things I got back when I actually had money.

First I found this little ****er roaming around my house looking for a random battle:

246692.jpg

Sera made that slime for my birthday. I love it!

Next isn't retro but a PSP game that might interest some people:

246693.jpg

It's supposedly the spiritual successor to Cybernator/Assault Suit Valken and has the involvement of G.Rev so you know there's going to be lots of old school blasting action. You can still get it from playasia and supposedly it's fairly gaijin friendly. Here's a video:

Lastly for my birthday someone bought me one of the rarest NES games ever made:

246694.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

can't be that rare, Steve SI has two.

Master of the Universe

Sera made that slime?? Amazing!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dinorex made the NES game cover.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Dinorex made the NES game cover.

Fair play lads, I'd pay money for both :) (actually I may rob that cart idea and make some up for fun :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

o1s1n wrote: »
    Sera made that slime?? Amazing!
    awh thanks <3 it wasn't that difficult to make, it's only 4 pieces to sew and the facial features are actually iron on elbow patches

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Picked up Bioshock Infinite just now, traded in the not played Batman AC and the underwhelming Goldeneye and paid a tenner.
    On an even brighter note they have Majin and the Magic Kingdom there for 12,on the ps3.
    Also, got to have a look at the Wii Mini, looks lovely but is €100.
    Now I have to look about for stuff at home to trade to pick one up, even though I have the Wii, WiiU and GC there at home.

Don't bother with the Wii mini. The best video quality out of it is AV and it's missing loads of features like wifi. It also has no SD slot, no online functions and lacks Gamecube backwards compatibility.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, I know, but it's a Nintendo, sure to sell in relatively small numbers and may be a rare beast indeed in years to come.
    And it is a lovely little thing, although it does feel like the materials are "cheaper" than the rest of Nintendos range.
    The inability to hack it is unfortunate, unless there is a chip based solution...

Master of the Universe

Next isn't retro but a PSP game that might interest some people:

246693.jpg

I've never heard of that but really want it now. Seems pretty expensive! How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

By the way, great photo. For a moment there I thought the game was on the floor and was absolutely huge :D

• Advertisement

30 euros with free shipping from here:

http://www.play-asia.com/Kisou_Ryouhei_Gunhound_EX_Regular_Edition/paOS-13-71-iy-49-en-70-5b9n.html

It's where I got it. Pretty good value considering the price some new PSP games go for due to the strong yen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

nwCDyrS.jpg
    jqso3ZA.jpg
    wBSlqbI.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

18+ Japanese tentacle rape Laserdisc ?

Also got this a few weeks ago to add to my Darius Gaiden Laserdisc. The original Darius Laserdisc.

Only took 18 months of searching EVERY SINGLE DAY to find one! :D

wJJdDWt.jpg
    XgaCMel.jpg

...so I got a vinyl, cassette and a VHS tape to go with it. :D

05uNx79.jpg
    apHgHpm.jpg

Casey120 wrote: »
    18+ Japanese tentacle rape Laserdisc ?

Yep! Normal everyday TV programming in Holland! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Have to hand it to you Pyong, you find some damn cool stuff :)

EnterNow wrote: »
    Have to hand it to you Pyong, you find some damn cool stuff :)

Cheers chief. I've a rake more stuff but need to carry on with mailing zines tonight. :p

Here's some more stuff from the past few weeks. Including a Progear Superplay by Clover-TAC that I'm hoping to have signed by Clover-TAC himself in Rennes next month, hopefully! :)

Got a rake of other bits, PCB's, Superplays, Laserdiscs, console games etc. Another time maybe... :)

FMbo7Pk.jpg
    jffoDW7.jpg
    V1DFoFb.jpg

You got some wholesome laser disc family viewing :)

Master of the Universe

Jaysus Pyong, I didn't even know Urotsukidoji Perfect Collection even HAD a LD release! Looks amazing.

• Advertisement

You got some wholesome laser disc family viewing :)

Aye, I've never seen the whole thing uncut and in the way it was intended to be screened across the 5 chapters. Looking forward to it and hoping the story makes more sense!

On the subject, a final willy-wave for posterity :p, seeing as I had this stuff on the shelf next to me. :)

4Dq0IyL.jpg
    zKOu1F4.jpg
    ZqzUPzW.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement