Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Cheers! Nope I don't really display it. I keep everything in Really Useful Boxes packed away. Everything is packed in cello bags too. Just makes it easier to have stuff stored neatly away so I know where everything is.

Unlike the mess of cables covering my office floor! :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Most of the time I have no idea what I'm looking at with your GETs Pyong, but they always look pretty cool (except for the dodgy school girl stuff)! :cool:

Yeah man,
    you could get locked up for that stuff!
    I bet you never show them to your missus?????
    Ha ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Not really retro but I know a couple of peeps here collect movie props and memorabilia.

Got this the other day:
    A framed Hellboy poster signed by Ron Perlman.

photo1rvu.jpg
    photo2ldz.jpg

Not super cool but I like it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

Pyongyang wrote: »

SEGA Saturn Official Mouse
    Now I can play The Tower properly!
    gets%20(8).jpg

Certainly a nicer looking mouse than the later Sega Netlink mouse. It looks like a lemon that looted the start button off a MD pad and jumped in a bucket of black paint.

248450.png

It seems like "the first version of this controller works too well, we need shoddy redesign for release outside of Japan!" was a thing for Sega during the Saturn's era.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

How do you know off the filtering in mame cidey?

Probably from the lovely folks over on Jamma+ ;)

A few recent GETs.

Saturn RGB cable & a bunch of ferrules for the arcade stools.

y6wfQng.jpg

Some RGB scanline filth: Jap Saturn + Radiant Silvergun + B&O tv. Won't actually be playing RS since this will be a vert setup, just testing everything works ok.

ZV7JW65.jpg

Pair of jap stools I got last week, they came in ondafly's shipment from Ronnie, cheers buddy! As seems to be the norm, they need to be refurbished - funky 'used scent' off them. :pac:
    Already have new foam and velour enroute. The legs need some work to get rid of rust and then shine them up. One of them also just came back from a mechanic friend who did a bit of welding for me. Nice little project to restore them to pristine condition. One of them will go downstairs with the cab, as you'd expect they're the perfect height to go under the candy cp. Very happy with them.

iMoPeAt.jpg

Next up is a SS Virtua Stick HSS-0136.

Nh9VUdA.jpg

suDzi2L.jpg

jrSa1D3.jpg

Not sure how accurate this it but I had read that they usually come with a Seimitsu LS-32-01 stick which is pretty decent, but some of the earlier ones came with the better 56 stick - which is what I have in the cab atm. Also read of folks complaining that the buttons were duff so I was a bit worried it would turn up and be a bit crap.

Tested it out for a few mins and it felt pretty good; nice weight to it, good stick and chnky responsive buttons. Buttons look and feel like Seimitsu to me, defo not Sanwa anyway.

Popped open the case and low and behold it has the 56 inside it! Happy days all round.

ZMGOxpJ.jpg

FtlkeR6.jpg

I managed to order one of those Tototek PSX to Saturn adapters so I will be able also use the PS1 Namco sticks on the Saturn if need be too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,177 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yep, that's the L56 Seimitsu virtua stick alright. Really lovely stick. Buttons dont feel the best if you're used to real arcade ones, but if you're using it with Shmups it's not so bad.

You could replace the buttons with Seimitsu ones (the ones on it now are just click ins), but you'd need to desolder the existing buttons from the PCB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Probably from the lovely folks over on Jamma+ ;)

:o That should have read "how do you turn off filtering mode". Doh!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yep, that's the L56 Seimitsu virtua stick alright. Really lovely stick. Buttons dont feel the best if you're used to real arcade ones, but if you're using it with Shmups it's not so bad.

You could replace the buttons with Seimitsu ones (the ones on it now are just click ins), but you'd need to desolder the existing buttons from the PCB.

It's early days yet but they feel ok to me. They look very like the Seimitsu buttons I have already. But maybe I can twist EnterNow's arm to do a little button swap job for me to make sure. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    But maybe I can twist EnterNow's arm to do a little button swap job for me to make sure. ;)

I'm sure we can come to some accommodation :p

Master of the Universe

Sure while you're at it... :pac:

EnterNow wrote: »
    I'm sure we can come to some accommodation :p

:cool:

Do you take minty CIB MD games as payment these days? :p

Few more gets; the Dell CRT mentioned recently, table/bench thing from Ikea with optional legs (:rolleyes:). Not sure that's the final layout just yet. Currently it's Saturn, supergun and PS2.

YugxHIi.jpg

Also got some cool metal picture frames, Ikea again. Think I've had those flyers for over a year now, finally got off my arse and got them framed. Haven't got RJ Jet or Raiden 3 or 4 (not sure I'll bother with those last two as I'll never own the hardware for them).

Not sure where to hang them though, maybe put some of them over the cab.

wMifaNo.jpg

Master of the Universe

that's seriously classy looking man!

The framed fliers look really well. How much are those frames in Ikea?

Sure while you're at it... :pac:

You too? :P
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    Do you take minty CIB MD games as payment these days? :p

CIB Megadrive games are legal tender in EnterNow's world :)

that's seriously classy looking man!

The framed fliers look really well. How much are those frames in Ikea?

Cheers.

They were €6 each (these ones here). I thought that was rip-off but was told by someone who knows more than I do that it was a decent price for them? Seem decent quality anyway.

I had planned to get normal rectangular ones but the feckin flyers are an odd shape - just too long - so the square ones above were the only ones that looked half decent. I might have looked strange walking about Ikea with arcade flyers in my hands. :D

The flyers are very thin and kept sliding about inside the frame when closed, each frame came with a leaflet thing inside so I just put that behind the pic to keep them in place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

:o That should have read "how do you turn off filtering mode". Doh!

You get Mame to give you an ini file to modify, google it for how, and then open it with Notepad and scroll down to the filtering option, set it to 0, that should do it, I think.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

PSX SCPH-1002 - Just stripped, cleaned it and back together. Got the swap trick to work. Must find a chip for it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Awesome setup Andrew!

You have a dedicated room for all your stuff?

Next beers at Andrews!

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    PSX SCPH-1002 - Just stripped, cleaned it and back together. Got the swap trick to work. Must find a chip for it :D

Your PSone with the modchip installed is in mine, with the screen.
    You're welcome to have it back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Ok so terrible photo but two recent gets.

28169198-0778-44EA-A3B6-A2CF850E987A-1274-000001D9E96CF20C.jpg

Have already lost a few hours to virtua tennis and lookin forward to playin 1080 again. My favourite snowboarding game. Simple but effective.

On that... Am I the only one who pines for simplicity? Remember the old sega rally game on the Saturn? It only had a few tracks. It didn't take away from the game cause you mastered what you had. Now there's millions of cars and tracks etc. More is not always more!

I have a superb version of Sega Rally incoming from Japan, for the Ps2, it was made to go along with the first pressing of the also Japan only Sega Rally 2006.

As for 1080° I think it was one of the first non - simplistic approaches to the sport, both in terms of control of your character on the board , environmental design and haptic feedback from the interaction between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I have a superb version of Sega Rally incoming from Japan, for the Ps2, it was made to go along with the first pressing of the also Japan only Sega Rally 2006.

As for 1080° I think it was one of the first non - simplistic approaches to the sport, both in terms of control of your character on the board , environmental design and haptic feedback from the interaction
    between the two.

Hit edit by accident now can't get to the bottom of my message, anyway I was goin to end by saying 1080 isn't like ssx with it's over the top tricks. I liked the downhill racing as felt like that's what it was more about just racing. Maybe it was just me.

As for sega rally for the ps2, I'm jealous, very jealous. I'd love to play that and a few other NTSC titles but I own 2 ps2's and both are pal. Is there a safe way to get one modded to play the NTSC stuff?
    Again very jealous.

As for 1080, I mean more in so far as its not like ssx

Hit edit by accident now can't get to the bottom of my message, anyway I was goin to end by saying 1080 isn't like ssx with it's over the top tricks. I liked the downhill racing as felt like that's what it was more about just racing. Maybe it was just me.

As for sega rally for the ps2, I'm jealous, very jealous. I'd love to play that and a few other NTSC titles but I own 2 ps2's and both are pal. Is there a safe way to get one modded to play the NTSC stuff?
    Again very jealous.

As for 1080, I mean more in so far as its not like ssx

The only game that approaches 1080° is Amped on the Xbox. Yes, they put trick stuff in too but there's a great feeling of taking on the mountain, rather than the "where's the next ramp /rail" in SSX and the like.
    Plus, remember the N64 was in the gen of the Saturn and PS, and there was nothing as good as the Nintendo title. Steep Slope Sliders on the Saturn didn't suck afaik.
    Region free PS2 is awkward, modchip is the way to go but it's expensive, Swap magic is also out there but won't just let you pop the disk in and play.
    My current solution is using a Pal TEST PS2, but these are expensive and I myself have to return this one to the fella who loaned it to me many years ago!
    The best possible solution is to buy a Ps2 from each region, you wind up with 3 consoles but, if you only buy slim PStwo models, you'll only need one set of controllers, one memory card and a common set of av cables and a common power supply.
    Sega Rally 2006 is not too expensive either, just make sure it's the first edition with the 2005 game included.

There's only one version of Sega Rally, & thats this. Everything else is just pretending

SegaRally.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

PS2 modchips are available for about €10 these days and well worth it !!

Although for any serious amount of usage a network adapter and harddrive are a must.

PS2 modchips are available for about €10 these days and well worth it !!

They're not too easy to fit, the PS2 motherboards are coated in resin which makes soldering more difficult & the points are tiny, its very very easy to bork a PS2 trying to fit a modchip. I done one once & it worked, & I tried it again & it didn't so I don't bother with them anymore...hdd mod is the best option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

They're not too easy to fit, the PS2 motherboards are coated in resin which makes soldering more difficult & the points are tiny, its very very easy to bork a PS2 trying to fit a modchip. I done one once & it worked, & I tried it again & it didn't so I don't bother with them anymore...hdd mod is the best option

I know, I done several over the years and only ever manage to wreck my own one fitting an early messiah chip :(

Ya the McFree memory card and hard disk are the easiest option alright if you don't want burnt fingers :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Your PSone with the modchip installed is in mine, with the screen.
    You're welcome to have it back!

Doesn't look as good as the old version - bringing me back to when I had one originally :) think thats more the attraction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

There's only one version of Sega Rally, & thats this. Everything else is just pretending

SegaRally.jpg

I'd really appreciate it if you'd stop coming into my living room and taking snaps EnterNow :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement