Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

These came today!
    Surprised with Chulip getting here so quick (bought last Friday evening) from the US, something I ordered a month ago from there still hasn't come :/
    IMG_20130418_12.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ooooh, if you got Metroid Prime Trilogy for anything under 50-60 you made some money :)

I got it in tesco as well when they were selling it off for €15 ages ago.

wtlltw wrote: »
    It was priced €50, but I had been tempted to buy a second hand version from Smyths for €30 a few weeks ago.

The only problem is it's sealed and mint, mint and mint, I'll wait and see if I ever get round to playing it (already have 1 and 3 and just never got round to buying 2, but like the fact that I have all three on one disc).

Ah sure just rip it open and play it! Games are meant to be enjoyed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Ah sure just rip it open and play it! Games are meant to be enjoyed :)

Don't listen to him! send it to be VGAd, it'll be mega rare and worth thousands if you do!

Do it do it do it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Don't listen to him! send it to be VGAd, it'll be mega rare and worth thousands if you do!

Tempted!!! In 20 years time, I'll be competing with half the forum members on Neogaf just to make my money back. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Actually scrap the need to find Xenoblade, it's getting released on the Wii U this fall (maybe 2015 if the list is legit.)

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/04/heres-a-look-at-the-internal-release-dates-for-nintendo/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not retro but one of the more interesting fps titles of recent times, got Spec Ops The Line, off of adverts, only 16 and arrived today. Happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not retro but one of the more interesting fps titles of recent times, got Spec Ops The Line, off of adverts, only 16 and arrived today. Happy days!

Good game..I in the middle of a playthrough on steam in it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, I might get to it sometime in 2014, after Bioshock Infinite, Halo 4, Doom 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Jumping Flash 3, Sega Rally, and those are just the games bought in the last 2 weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Needs a clean but she'll be a new penny soon enough. :)

AB%20%281%29.jpg
    AB%20%282%29.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

What is it pyong and how do you clean it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

What is it pyong and how do you clean it?

at a guess Heavy Unit

Nope. Air Buster!

Just some PCB cleaner. Bit of isopropyl etc. Just to get rid of the tape residue. It's nice and tidy aside from that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,181 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Chuck her in the dishwasher! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Chuck her in the dishwasher! :D

Ah you'd only risk that with a duff game, Hyper Duel or something. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Anybody here got any good recommendations for a PVR that will record footage from consoles both new and old?

Thanks.

Achilles wrote: »
    Anybody here got any good recommendations for a PVR that will record footage from consoles both new and old?

Thanks.

Depends what you want out of the recordings. Upscaled HD? Good 240p handling? Proper 480i deinterlacing etc.

If you want rough custard, get a Dazzle or something.

If you want the full beans and buttocks, check out my YouTube channel for details on my capture rig. :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Ah you'd only risk that with a duff game, Hyper Duel or something. :pac:

No. My Hyper Duel PCB is currently in a vacuum sealed secret vault buried deep under the Alps in a cave designed by Greg Louganis! :cool:

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Depends what you want out of the recordings. Upscaled HD? Good 240p handling? Proper 480i deinterlacing etc.

If you want rough custard, get a Dazzle or something.

If you want the full beans and buttocks, check out my YouTube channel for details on my capture rig. :)
    Upscaled HD on the older stuff would be nice but not necessary as I can upscale it myself in post anyway.

Have an idea for a YouTube show that I'm keeping quiet right now. Thanks for your advice though I'll check out your channel, pretty sure I'm subscribed to it already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

wtlltw wrote: »
    Actually scrap the need to find Xenoblade, it's getting released on the Wii U this fall (maybe 2015 if the list is legit.)

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/04/heres-a-look-at-the-internal-release-dates-for-nintendo/

Pretty sure that's just a placeholder for a new title from monolith soft.

Upscaled HD on the older stuff would be nice but not necessary as I can upscale it myself in post anyway.[/QUOTW]

Doesn't work that way unfortunately chief. You need to upscale the source to work with the upscaled source in HD.

Is that Xzibit I can hear? :o

Have an idea for a YouTube show that I'm keeping quiet right now. Thanks for your advice though I'll check out your channel, pretty sure I'm subscribed to it already!

Sure thing boss (and cheers for the sub!). You probably won't want to go in to OCD levels like the rig I have although. I don't use that just for games, I capture VHS and Laserdisc sources too, running them through a decent comb filter first before it even touches my DVDO kit. I also play a lot of games through the DVDO anyway, looks super cute upascaled! Other stuff just goes straight in to the PVM, no messing about.

Examples:

Here's an example of a Laserdisc capture I did from my Japanese Gunhed Laserdisc. Note that the RAW video file is a million times better because YouTube always badly re-encodes anything you upload anyway (another reason I'm thinking of uploading HD content only to a Vimeo account or just hosting on my host space):

And here is a compilation video I made of many different games to stretch my DVDO's legs. Note I used an incorrect deinterlacing method though, most noticeable on the Darius Gaiden clip. However using an alternate mode on my ABT-102 card, it corrects the harder deinterlacing mode and looks perfect.

Note: All games are original discs on original hardware and not emulated as some cheeky sod suggested!

And finally here are a couple of native 480i tests. No upscaling, just a test to push the ABT-102 deinterlacing to a 480p signal. Note the shadows? Works like a charm. :D

Hope that helps anyway. :)

I'll give your response a proper reply later when I'm at home but I just wanted to make one point. YouTube only re-encodes stuff for 360p and 480p. 720p and above is the .H264 m4 codec, if you encode to that natively you won't notice any difference in quality and it'll also upload faster because they only have to transcode the 360 and 480 versions.

:-)

I'll give your response a proper reply later when I'm at home but I just wanted to make one point. YouTube only re-encodes stuff for 360p and 480p. 720p and above is the .H264 m4 codec, if you encode to that natively you won't notice any difference in quality and it'll also upload faster because they only have to transcode the 360 and 480 versions.

:-)

Interesting! How come 720p uploads look like garbage compared to the original source? I thought they only did that with 1080p uploads?

It's certainly a reason I'd prefer to upload HD content to Vimeo or self-host, display it how it's meant to be displayed.

Regardless, I'm happy out with my rig! :)

YouTube offers WebM videos as part of its HTML5 player experiment. All uploaded files are encoded into WebM in 360p, 480p, 720p and 1080p resolutions. YouTube has committed to encode its entire portfolio of videos to WebM. The YouTube app for the Nintendo Wii uses WebM for streaming videosor H.263 as a fall-back option.

From the WebM wiki and YouTube blog. Which makes sense. Why would you only transcode 360 and 480? I'm no videophile or expert but it doesn't compute. I thought YouTube were committed to WebM only? Hence HD video still looks **** on YouTube?

YouTube offers WebM videos as part of its HTML5 player experiment. All uploaded files are encoded into WebM in 360p, 480p, 720p and 1080p resolutions. YouTube has committed to encode its entire portfolio of videos to WebM. The YouTube app for the Nintendo Wii uses WebM for streaming videosor H.263 as a fall-back option.

From the WebM wiki and YouTube blog. Which makes sense. Why would you only transcode 360 and 480? I'm no videophile or expert but it doesn't compute. I thought YouTube were committed to WebM only? Hence HD video still looks **** on YouTube?

They only use WebM when you specify html5 video in the settings by default it uses flash with flv encoding for 360 and 480 and .h264 mp4 video for HD res.

What happens when the HTML5 switchover and WebM archiving is completed? :confused:

Master of the Universe

What happens when the HTML5 switchover and WebM archiving is completed? :confused:

The apocolypse? I dunno...

o1s1n you're screaming nerd on a forum where people regularly purchase and modify old arcade consoles and cabinets.

Ye feckin' nerd ye!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I'm a giant videogame geek, but I'm in no way a nerd! :pac:

geek-nerd1.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement