Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,291 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Found someone selling some absolutely fantastic animation artwork. And the best thing about it? Loads of them come with their original hand painted backgrounds - which are stunning.

Here's a background from the Double Dragon cartoon

doubledragon_zps0e7fd644.jpg

And just look at the quality of this Street Fighter background! Absolutely amazing.

StreetFighter_zpsba19da9b.jpg

Kind of gaming related as it had an arcade board. I fecking love this. Jack and Hannah sitting in the back of a Cadillac with dinosaurs running after them. Talk about summing up the whole show!

CadalacsandDinos_zps648f079f.jpg

Any if there are any Brave Starr fans out there...

33_zpsc3ee53a3.jpg

There may be more... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Bravestar!

Any links?

Master of the Universe

Will pm you now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Cool, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Bravestarr, Bravestarr!
    Eyes of the hawk, ears of the wolf
    Bravestarr, Bravestarr!
    Strength of the bear, speed of the puma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,565 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

o1s1n wrote: »
    Will pm you now.

Wouldn't mind a link thrown my way either. The only way that post could have been cooler if there was some Jayce or Ulysses artwork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Today's buys, pretty pleased!

292172.jpg

So 50cc on MK:DD is pretty damn fast, forgot about that when compared to MKWii and MK7, wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,565 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The best mario kart there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well done on Super Mario Sunshine, while it might be the weakest 3D Mario that still means it's better than every other 3D platformer on any other system so far, certainly Sonic Team wish they could make a 3D game as good as Sunshine.
    The gloopy effects of paint are lovely, as are the portal effects, not to mention some lovely levels in there, not to mention some harder stuff.
    I wonder if they'll go back to the 64/Sunshine/Galaxy POV Mario titles or are we to have 3D Land/World types instead?

I loved 3d land, 3d world has done nothing for me at all, makes me actually not like Mario so I hope they go back to the full 3d Mario next and leave 3d world for the 3ds.

Ah Sunshine, the ugly step child of the 3d Mario's, I personally love Sunshine, I never understood the dislike of it. I never finished it so this is my chance to do it all over again. I lived the fludd, lol such a silly name, the bits where you 'float' onto fences with it in the early stages, gives me such Squee moments when I think about it.

Would love them to port it over to the 3ds or even make a sequel to it, but the chances of it coming to VC on the WiiU are very slim I think sadly. Only due to the pressure buttons that don't exist on the WiiU.

Oh, maybe a HD remake, announced in the next direct this Thursday, to release in March, for €20! *wishful thinking*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm sure it could be done, with Fludd control on the touch screen.
    Its a lovely bright game and I'd love to see it reach a wider audience, though given the performance of the WiiU thus far i might sound cruel there without meaning to!

Not sure what's not to love about 3D World though, in my opinion its amazing.

Yeah, I donno, 3d world, bought it, played it and just wasn't that impressed with it. I seem to be in the minority camp now of '3d land was better'. I think I just enjoyed the actual 3d effect in 3d land. I donno, maybe I'm just done with new Marios for the moment. Maybe next summer I'll pick it up and really enjoy it, something just not clicking at the moment for me.

On HD sunshine, I'm sure Ninty can work some magic like you say and get fludd working in an even better way on the WiiU, here's hoping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,085 ✭✭✭Doge

Found someone selling some absolutely fantastic animation artwork. And the best thing about it? Loads of them come with their original hand painted backgrounds - which are stunning.

Here's a background from the Double Dragon cartoon

doubledragon_zps0e7fd644.jpg

And just look at the quality of this Street Fighter background! Absolutely amazing.

StreetFighter_zpsba19da9b.jpg

Kind of gaming related as it had an arcade board. I fecking love this. Jack and Hannah sitting in the back of a Cadillac with dinosaurs running after them. Talk about summing up the whole show!

CadalacsandDinos_zps648f079f.jpg

Any if there are any Brave Starr fans out there...

33_zpsc3ee53a3.jpg

There may be more... :eek:

Man, completely forgot about Cadillacs and Dinosaurs til now.

Only think I saw a few episodes as a kid but remember it being great.

Master of the Universe

It was a really great show. The animation always seems a bit higher quality than your usual Saturday morning cartoon.

Bought two more from the same guy. He has a load more I want but should probably call it quits for the moment.

Bowser's castle background from The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 cartoon.

Bowserscastle_zps343c293a.jpg

Another one from Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. (€7.00! :eek:)

Hannah_zps00b510d0.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Do you have a link to this guys website?

Master of the Universe

It's actually an ebay store. Will post the link now as the auctions I'd been watching are over.

He has 10,000+ listings, most of them animation art.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=icollect-online&_sop=1

Best thing to do is search his listings for a cartoon you may like as it takes hours and hours to go through the lot.

Here's his Mario stuff for example

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_from=R40&_armrs=1&_ssn=icollect-online&_sacat=0&_nkw=mario&_sop=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

He has some from Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog too.

Very tempted come pay day...

Master of the Universe

He had a great one of Robotnik's face taking up the whole screen. I was outbid though :(

That's one down side of these auctions, the seller is in the US so many of them end in the small hours of the morning - making sniping impossible unless you're going to stay up.

On the plus side, not many people are actually bidding on any of them.

Here's a really nice one of Tails I was considering buying last night.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370981056154?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

What size are these animation cells usually? Would they fit in a standard frame for instance?

Master of the Universe

The Japanese ones I have are all 13X9 on average. You get some oversized ones for big cinematic scenes, but most will be under that.

The backgrounds are another thing now. Most of the Sonic ones seem fairly small though.

As for framing, if it's a really fancy expensive cel then you want to get it done professionally.

Seeing as these are so cheap though I wouldn't be too concerned about archival level to be honest. Just try to make sure it's out of direct sunlight as that absolutely kills them.

• Advertisement

So guys, a little direction if you can, I'm thinking of getting a PSP (not the Go), is it worth getting? What games do you recommend?

I dont want it for hacking tbh.

Thanks.

Master of the Universe

So guys, a little direction if you can, I'm thinking of getting a PSP (not the Go), is it worth getting? What games do you recommend?

Thanks.

I swapped away my PSP a couple of years ago and got one recently again for playing legit games.

However, soft modding them now is so simple it's kinda hard not to do. It's not even a proper soft mod. You just put a file on an SD card and run it when you want the console to go into soft mod mode.

Otherwise the console is stock when it boots.

Yeah, it's worth getting.
    There's some nice stuff there, I'm sure the lads and lassies here can recommend plenty of RPGs and such but I really enjoyed it for the great PS2 franchise releases.
    What I mean by that is there are two superb Ridge Racer titles, although the second one has everything you need in there, looks the business.
    Also in a pair are Wipeout Pure and Pulse, very very nice Wipeout titles and far superior to the PS2 game.
    Burnout Legends is outstanding, essentially a greatest hits of the first 3 games and a lot of fun, reminding many that the series was once about avoiding traffic rather than smashing into them.
    But the best of the best is the superb port of Outrun 2006 on the PSP, perhaps not in HD like the XBLA edition but there is so much more in there, and it is equal to the also superb Xbox port from many moons ago, probably worth owning the machine for this title alone!
    Elsewhere there's spinoffs from both Jak&Daxter and Ratchet&Clank to be played, as well as Locoroco and it's sequel plus Patapon and it's two sequels.
    Not to be missed either is Lumines, a stunningly goodlooking puzzle title with some great music, integrated into the gameplay.
    And the nice thing about all the above is that they are probably for sale in Gamestop for a fiver each!

I am looking at the PSP Street at the moment on amazon, I'm a little confused, can I use my PSN account on it? Is Wifi on the Street edition? Or should I get an older model?

On the list of games to get so far are....

Wipeout Pure and Pulse
    The Second Ridge Racer
    Burnout Legends
    Outrun 2006
    Jak & Daxter, think I got these games a few months back on PS+, sweet!
    Ratchet & Clank

Awesome thanks for those recomendations Ciderman!

Bit of a sale starting this month on PSN, I see Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is €4.49, Never played a MH game so this could be a good starting point cause I am a little wary in getting MH3 on the 3DS for some reason, grinding....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,962 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you like RPGs then the PSP is pretty much essential. Loads of great RPGs on it. Jeanne D'Arc, Tactics Ogre, Persona 3 Portable, Ys Oath in Felghana and Seven, Riviera, Knights in the Knightmare etc.

I am looking at the PSP Street at the moment on amazon, I'm a little confused, can I use my PSN account on it? Is Wifi on the Street edition? Or should I get an older model?

On the list of games to get so far are....

Wipeout Pure and Pulse
    The Second Ridge Racer
    Burnout Legends
    Outrun 2006
    Jak & Daxter, think I got these games a few months back on PS+, sweet!
    Ratchet & Clank

Awesome thanks for those recomendations Ciderman!

Bit of a sale starting this month on PSN, I see Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is €4.49, Never played a MH game so this could be a good starting point cause I am a little wary in getting MH3 on the 3DS for some reason, grinding....

I don't see how you'd be able to use a PSN account on it if it lacks wifi capability.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,962 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you have a USB cable you can do it with your PS3 or PC.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Ohh. That seems kinda silly.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

As in the same USB cable I use to charge my PS3 controller? I do have a Magic Gate Memory card at home, 8gb I think so sorted for that, unless Sony have changed the memory cards for this Street Edition....

Just had a quick look in Gamestop on Henry St. for PSP Street and games, €100 for the Street edition new, in white? I dont think so! Second hand €79 in black, nah. I want the box too.

Games, they pretty much had nothing good except a lot of shovelware, and anything I'd be interested in was on or over the €14.99 mark. Guess this purchase is going to have to be an online buy. :pac:

• Advertisement

I'd watch for the Slim'n Lite 3rd gen PSP, you'll pick one up on Adverts I'd say.
    The machine is region free too so feel free to import or trawl bargain bins when on holidays.
    Gran Turismo for the PSP is worth getting too, maybe the game is a little dry but it is stunning to see.

Master of the Universe

Yep, completely agree with Ciderman on the PSP variant. I wasn't a big fan of the original but find the slim and light much more comfortable to hold. The D pad on it is nicer too.

As in the same USB cable I use to charge my PS3 controller? I do have a Magic Gate Memory card at home, 8gb I think so sorted for that, unless Sony have changed the memory cards for this Street Edition....

Not sure about the street but that's the cable I use on my PSP. The PSP takes Pro Duo cards.

Master of the Universe

Just so you know, you can get a pro duo adapter that lets you use micro sd cards instead. I use one myself and it's dead handy.

The one massive advantage, for me at least, of installing custom firmware is the availability of much of the PSone catalogue to be played on it. The emulation scene is quiet now but there was no better way to play NeoGeo on the go, perhaps there still isn't. I wouldn't discount the idea at least.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The one massive advantage, for me at least, of installing custom firmware is the availability of much of the PSone catalogue to be played on it. The emulation scene is quiet now but there was no better way to play NeoGeo on the go, perhaps there still isn't. I wouldn't discount the idea at least.

What do you mean? The Neo Geo X was a brilliant little device... wasn't it?! :P

• Advertisement

I'd watch for the Slim'n Lite 3rd gen PSP, you'll pick one up on Adverts I'd say.
    The machine is region free too so feel free to import or trawl bargain bins when on holidays.
    Gran Turismo for the PSP is worth getting too, maybe the game is a little dry but it is stunning to see.

Argh, I forgot there is the Slim Vita coming out Friday!

Kinda all over the place now, been reading reviews on PSP 3000 and the Street all afternoon, but then I could just get the new Slim Vita on Friday instead, but its only coming in black, Japan have all the colours but we only get the black? Why is that? I can play all the PSP games on the Vita, albeit, downloaded psp games, at the end of the day.

Hmm.... Get the Street or 3000, Vita Slim black On friday or hold off till I can get a manky yellow Vita Slim? :confused::confused:

I wouldn't bother with emulation on the PSP. The controls aren't up to it and the emulators are really inaccurate. PS1 emulation through the official emulators is great but really the controls only really work on RPGs.

The best use of custom firmware is putting your UMDs on the memory card to cut load times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Argh, I forgot there is the Slim Vita coming out Friday!

Kinda all over the place now, been reading reviews on PSP 3000 and the Street all afternoon, but then I could just get the new Slim Vita on Friday instead, but its only coming in black, Japan have all the colours but we only get the black? Why is that? I can play all the PSP games on the Vita, albeit, downloaded psp games, at the end of the day.

Hmm.... Get the Street or 3000, Vita Slim black On friday or hold off till I can get a manky yellow Vita Slim? :confused::confused:

It's usual for Japan to get all the cool colours :( Picked up the white/lime and the black/pink slim versions when over there in October, I definitely prefer them to the original model, OLED screen or not. Better battery and smaller rear touch panel win out.

Hmm, Vita is pretty good and if you invest in one with a 16gb mem card and the slight extra expense of a PSN+ account you're laughing, with free games every month.
    It's up to you really.
    Good thing about a PSP is you can pick one up for feck all on Adverts, do if you've a few bob get the Vita, as the PSP is for pocket money, one just sold there for €25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Thanks.

I had one for a while and in true me fashion bought loads of games I hardly played.

I sold it with at least 20 games for 130euro I think it was before Xmas to fund my vita.

There's an snk collection that's definately worth getting. Mega drive collection as well as far as I remember was good.

RPG's and racing games play best on it imo.

Personally I didn't like the lack of 2nd analogue stick for games that needed it and the one that was there is crap.
    When your used to moving cameras with a second stick its just annoying not to have it there. It was like going back to ps1 days.

If you can afford it I'd highly recommend the Vita. Sony really up'd the game with the Vita. Amazing bit of kit imo and not that expensive anymore. As someone else mentioned get a 16gb memory card and ps plus and your sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is this the new model slim Vita coming that has the OLED screen removed, & a standard screen fitted? If so, the newer screen will be a bit of a downgrade as the original oled type is a joy to look at.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Is this the new model slim Vita coming that has the OLED screen removed, & a standard screen fitted? If so, the newer screen will be a bit of a downgrade as the original oled type is a joy to look at.

Apparently you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference and the battery life is considerably more so, a trade off.
    Also, ditching the Vita specific power cable and fitting a standard micro USB is a big deal too.

They seem to have gotten rid of the socket at the top of the machine too, apparently it was for a digital video out, hdmi type thing.

Yup it's the downgraded model, I have used the vita, and as much as the screen is pretty, I just not bothered about that.

So after having a sleep on it I've decided I'm gonna got a psp, the vita can wait a year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just got an early PAL Sega Mega Drive, its a version which is meant to be a better version of the console. Has the EXT serial port on the back and "High Definition Graphics" printed around the top of the cartridge slot circle and when you turn it on it goes straight to the game without the Sega license screen. So last night I just completed the 'switchless' mod on it and learned me some more electronics :) I can now program PIC chips! Yay!

Also got the "iMP Super 328 Intelligent Mega Power Stick" - bit of a mouthful there. Meant to work on both the MD and PCEngine.
    Haven't really looked at it yet - unsure if the cable is broken or the socket on the controller. One good thing so far is that the ball on the stick can be replaced with standard ball tops from arcade controls so its sporting a purple one at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

That's a very early MD then, the one EA reverse engineered to strongarm Sega into 'favorable' licensing terms.
    Might be compatibility issues on some later games though but definitely worth having.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Myrddin wrote: »

Agreed. Back before Christmas I was debating whether to hold off and wait for the slim version to arrive over here thinking the difference in screen wouldn't bother me. Well from any reviews I saw it's a big difference so went with the old version. It would've bugged me no end knowing I was looking at an inferior display all the time. If Sony had of kept the OLED and switched to standard micro SD cards rather than the proprietary ones then it would've been a no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Well from any reviews I saw it's a big difference

Same here, I've definitely seen it mentioned on a couple of sites that the new screen is a step down in quality

Master of the Universe

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Just got an early PAL Sega Mega Drive, its a version which is meant to be a better version of the console. Has the EXT serial port on the back and "High Definition Graphics" printed around the top of the cartridge slot circle and when you turn it on it goes straight to the game without the Sega license screen. So last night I just completed the 'switchless' mod on it and learned me some more electronics :) I can now program PIC chips! Yay!

Also got the "iMP Super 328 Intelligent Mega Power Stick" - bit of a mouthful there. Meant to work on both the MD and PCEngine.
    Haven't really looked at it yet - unsure if the cable is broken or the socket on the controller. One good thing so far is that the ball on the stick can be replaced with standard ball tops from arcade controls so its sporting a purple one at the mo.

That's the best Megadrive you can get. Not only is it missing the dreaded TMSS screen and boots straight to the game, it's also known for having the best sound out of all variants.

And yeah, if you ever manage to find a Mega Modem, you can connect it up to that extension port and play Speedball 2 online :D

Does the iMP stick thing feel like it has a micro switched joystick?

My Asian MD has an ext port on the act but I don't think it's anything special, The Artist formerly known as EnterNow modded it but I might get Kerb to install the switchless mod. I'll have to bribe him....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Does the iMP stick thing feel like it has a micro switched joystick?

Yup, stick feels like its micro-switched. Yet to open it up to check the port on it to ensure its not just broken. Then I can see how its put together.

So the stick itself can work either wirelessly with batteries but you also need IR receivers which of course don't come with the box. The cable to connect it to a PCEngine or a Genesis I think is the same cable. DIN at the joystick and DB9 on the Genesis end and for PCEngine DB9 at the joystick and DIN to the PCEngine. Will get pics up when I get a chance to work on it.
    My Asian MD has an ext port on the act but I don't think it's anything special, The Artist formerly known as EnterNow modded it but I might get Kerb to install the switchless mod. I'll have to bribe him....

Unsure what the act is on the console but I could do the mod for yea if yea wanted...the bribe might be to get you to forget that you ever had a Coleco

Forgot to add, I now have a Mega Drive with the switchless mod installed which I have no use for. Might throw it up on the A&R Market Place should anyone be interested?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement