Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

o1s1n wrote: »
    I suddenly feel three 6 slots lighter. The relief :D

Got one to boot up after a bit of repair, some corrupt graphics still but she boots :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    But Donkey Kong Country is a dull uninspired platformer with advanced for it's time graphics that look like utter **** now whereas DKCR is a genuinely great game. It should be an easy decision.

I honestly don't get the flak against DKC (Snes version correct?)...I think it still looks lovely today :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,962 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Myrddin wrote: »
    I honestly don't get the flak against DKC (Snes version correct?)...I think it still looks lovely today :confused:

It's a decent if totally uninspired platformer. I think it looks really awful. Everything looks like it's made out of plastic and it just looks really grainy and flat thanks to digitising to a lower res and colour count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Myrddin wrote: »

I'm with ya on this. I played the old ones on the gba recently enough an loved them. Graphically they wouldn't be a patch on the snes on the small screen etc but still visually lovely imo and gameplay wise they're tight. I got completely addicted to them.

Looking forward to dktf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,565 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Picked up Sticker Paper (Rock scissors) Mario from Xtravision for a whopping 25 euro. New and a actual sealed one too.
    I missed out on it in the great Tesco games rush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I'm with ya on this. I played the old ones on the gba recently enough an loved them. Graphically they wouldn't be a patch on the snes on the small screen etc but still visually lovely imo and gameplay wise they're tight. I got completely addicted to them.

Looking forward to dktf

Weird , just playing DKC on the SNES this morning, after mario the controls are very loose !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Never mind the Snes games, I was and still am impressed that they got the essentials into the Donkey Kong Land games on the GB, very impressive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Incoming retro goodness of Galaxians on the Famicom, I have half a mind to collect the Rockman series for the Famicom this year, as well as reroute the controllers through the front of the console to extend the cables.
    Also, need a controller refresh kit to replace the contacts inside the controllers too, make them as good as new.
    So, plenty to do in 2014!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

not that im stickin up for them but lets face it theyre told to sell the insurance as are Argos. I'm sure gamestop make lots of money from it and id gaurantee you the employee gets sweet fa other than a bollickin if they don't mention it from their script.

nicest way to deal with its just no thanks.
    Have u not heard the long list of stuff game stop does....it funny. They have sold new games as pre owned to make more money....they staff would be in on that, if I know them I say no thanks, otherwise I don't reply, I want my game not a game of 20 questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,565 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Flaregon wrote: »
    Have u not heard the long list of stuff game stop does....it funny. They have sold new games as pre owned to make more money....they staff would be in on that, if I know them I say no thanks, otherwise I don't reply, I want my game not a game of 20 questions.

Anyone that buys a pre owned game that more expensive than a new game deserves whatever is coming to them in my view.

• Advertisement

Picked up some Famicom controller repair kits from a US site, I have found the controllers to be unresponsive so I can't wait to have them good as new.
    Then to getting the Rockman games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Having worked in retail for nearly 6 years I can tell you that customers don't know the half of what goes on behind the scenes. At the end of the day it's all about profits, targets and KPI's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Then to getting the Rockman games!

What put me off collecting those for the Famicom was the amount of repros out there. Half the carts of the same game seemed to have many different labels etc

Having worked in retail for nearly 6 years I can tell you that customers don't know the half of what goes on behind the scenes. At the end of the day it's all about profits, targets and KPI's.

Of course its all about profits, targets and kpi's. Its a business. They aren't there for the love of gaming. Theyre there to make money.

Just bought Yoshi Touch and Go for the DS on Adverts, first purchase there in a while tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Just bought Yoshi Touch and Go for the DS on Adverts, first purchase there in a while tbh.

The last two purchases off Adverts have been hassle free for me, if you can avoid the messers it's not too bad at all. Some people have seriously bad feedback on there, if they continue to purge these from the site it can only improve it more.

Alas poor Flexymoons, we knew you were a chancer.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Alas poor Flexymoons, we knew you were a chancer.....

Think there may have been a little more than Jake Stevens going on. Check out the user name in the first few comments of this ad. Since disappeared of Adverts too.

http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/nintendo-colour/4688247

Monkeykube wrote: »
    Think there may have been a little more than Jake Stevens going on. Check out the user name in the first few comments of this ad. Since disappeared of Adverts too.

http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/nintendo-colour/4688247

Cheeky git,
    Reminds me of that handsome young go getter Namredic!

Cheeky git,
    Reminds me of that handsome young go getter Namredic!
    Only see the seller.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

how this guy hasn't been banned I'll never know

http://www.adverts.ie/member/666549

how this guy hasn't been banned I'll never know

http://www.adverts.ie/member/666549

What with all the name changes, seem a few have just changed there name all of a sudden....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

Picked up code veronica x just before Christmas and Resident Evil 2 & 3 for the cube arrived today from adverts to complete my Resident Evil collection. Just missing directors cut and mercenaries now. So much survival horror goodness.....at least until we reach 5 & 6, but they are needed for completeness.

kb3udd.jpg

And a few other recent purchases. I picked up zak and wiki in xtravision in Navan, I was looking for a copy for a reasonable price for ages. Punch out was €7 on amazon so I couldn't say no. Got nightfire, Doshin and VJ from Los Lobos here on the marketplace for a very fair price, so thank you good sir. I also managed to grab Killer 7 for €35 delivered.

1zbudxi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

You're missing the original Code Veronica on the Dreamcast.

I have a lovely jap edition in a nice slip case, for the DC, as well as the Pal version.

MrVestek wrote: »
    You're missing the original Code Veronica on the Dreamcast.

Ha very true, I actually did have it on the dreamcast about 10 year ago and think I traded it in for something else.

I also just realised I forgot to include outbreak in that photo. I really need to get my collection properly organised cause I have it separated at the moment. I will have to grab one of those black shelving units from ikea that I see everywhere.

Parawind wrote: »
    Ha very true, I actually did have it on the dreamcast about 10 year ago and think I traded it in for something else.

I also just realised I forgot to include outbreak in that photo. I really need to get my collection properly organised cause I have it separated at the moment. I will have to grab one of those black shelving units from ikea that I see everywhere.

I have to wonder why you don't have alot of originals in there instead of rereleases, such as the Resident Evils on the Gamecube instead of PSOne etc.

You can pick up Code Veronica pretty cheap these days.

I have to wonder why you don't have alot of originals in there instead of rereleases, such as the Resident Evils on the Gamecube instead of PSOne etc.

You can pick up Code Veronica pretty cheap these days.

I am all about the cube love atm. The PSOne originals will be added to the collection at a later date.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,962 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the cube releases run at 60 hz in PAL as well making them much better than the ****ty PAL ps1 releases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well the cube REmake and Re4 are 2 of the greatest games ever. I havnt played RE2 or Nemesis on it even though I have them, must put 3 hours away and go through leons story

I have Directors Cut but haven't ever played it... Must get to it eventually

I have resi 4 with a 2nd disc of Zelda oot with no GameCube to play them on. Doh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

12789886593_97731397f6_o.jpg

Zakk roms for the Garegga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,291 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nice! You certainly know how to take pcb boudoir photos :pac:

Are those chips in the right way? Just noticed the writing on them is upside down compared to the other chips (maybe the ZAKK rom stickers are just upside down though)

I guess you'll know when you power it on!

They are the right way I've been playing it :) just had to reflo the sound section as the sound effects of the bombs and explosions disappear sometimes but the music stays. Think it might be a dry joint on the OKI sound chip it seam. fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Chips are in correctly.

NEVER trust the labels on them, the little dot or dimple denotes where Pin 1 of the chip is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Great purchase safetyboy, very nice. :cool:

I'm a happy lad,
    Yoshi Touch 'n Go arrived this am and I had a quick blast, I probably haven't played it in 8 years and it's still fun.
    Also arriving is Kirbys Dreamland 3 and Kirby Deluxe from Japan, for the Super Famicom, so that's pretty nice, looking forward to getting a run at them this evening.
    I've got the DS version of the latter but it's nice to have the original too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

safetyboy wrote: »
    They are the right way I've been playing it :) just had to reflo the sound section as the sound effects of the bombs and explosions disappear sometimes but the music stays. Think it might be a dry joint on the OKI sound chip it seam. fingers crossed.

Nice mate :D
    Did you need to change the region by jumpers for the Zakk roms to work ?

Casey120 wrote: »
    Nice mate :D
    Did you need to change the region by jumpers for the Zakk roms to work ?

I did and its nippon now :) tiny bullets.

• Advertisement

DDP DFK Artbook :

IMG_0193.jpg

Savile ware in paper form :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I have resi 4 with a 2nd disc of Zelda oot with no GameCube to play them on. Doh

Do you have a Wii with the GC ports?

Yup, if you can't find it in yourself to invest in a WiiU, getting a Wii for €40, softmod it and play Wii and GC games from every region is the way to go, heck get one anyway!

Yup, if you can't find it in yourself to invest in a WiiU, getting a Wii for €40, softmod it and play Wii and GC games from every region is the way to go, heck get one anyway!
    tryed to hack mine years ago, failed hard, it half way done, uninstalled the home brew channel and error when i retry lol.

Flaregon wrote: »
    tryed to hack mine years ago, failed hard, it half way done, uninstalled the home brew channel and error when i retry lol.

The methods are a little bit more clean now. Bannerbomb has also been updated to work on firmware 4.3.

All you need to do these days is pop a file on the SD card and away you go.

Neo XYX just in, probably the best game from NG:Dev yet for the Dreamcast !

IMG_0197.jpg

Deffo Toaplan inspired and bloody hard as it trows you right in the onslaught :eek:

Do you have a Wii with the GC ports?

Had one. Sold it when I upgraded to the wii u. I'll buy a GameCube at some point. I'm in no hurry plenty of other stuff to be gettin on with. I kept The game as I heard it was slightly collectible even though I have nothing currently to play it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Had one. Sold it when I upgraded to the wii u. I'll buy a GameCube at some point. I'm in no hurry plenty of other stuff to be gettin on with. I kept The game as I heard it was slightly collectible even though I have nothing currently to play it on.

I'd go with the GC compatible Wii rather than a GC myself to be honest, though I did love my little purple cube of joy! :D
    As CiDeRmAn said, if you softmod it you can play both Wii and GC games from any region, and it's very easy to softmod! As opposed to the GC, where you'd need to hardware mod it, or get a disk that enables you to load from different regions (These don't always work, and are error prone too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Another handy thing about soft modding the Wii is it's a lot easier to backup and restore save game files (both wii and gc) as it's got an SD card and a few handy apps for game saves.

The methods are a little bit more clean now. Bannerbomb has also been updated to work on firmware 4.3.

All you need to do these days is pop a file on the SD card and away you go.
    I did it in the old school days so banner bomb errors it, it black screens when I try if I remember, i have a second wii that Ive never done it on, so maybe ill try that 1.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement