Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,963 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

funkyflea wrote: »
    Other similarities with the dreamcast:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've got a QD myself but never play the thing.
    I had a Symbian OS phone before that though and had a few emulators running on it, which was cool.
    Everyone has their weaknesses though, mine is Virtua Racing and everyone else's here is loving Golden Axe and Streets of Rage, poor deluded b@stards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,565 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I've got a QD myself but never play the thing.
    I had a Symbian OS phone before that though and had a few emulators running on it, which was cool.
    Everyone has their weaknesses though, mine is Virtua Racing and everyone else's here is loving Golden Axe and Streets of Rage, poor deluded b@stards!

I thought your weakness was buying and selling and then rebuying?

Mine is trigonometry and Nintendo Pal cardboard boxes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,963 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mine is 50Hz. It's like the film speed. If the frequency of how I do things falls that low a bomb inside of me will explode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I thought your weakness was buying and selling and then rebuying?

Mine is trigonometry and Nintendo Pal cardboard boxes.

Yes, here's a simple program to describe it all
    10 buy game
    20 sell game
    30 four months later buy game again
    40 sell game
    50 weep for the foolishness of selling
    60 goto 10

And as for trig
    I wish I had paid attention
    Trying to make up for it.
    Read Flatland recently and now I'm onto Flatterland, and it's quite good and entertaining, as well as educational, all about dimensions and topology and whatnot.
    I figure I'll wraps head around maths if it's the last thing I do, which is handy because it probably will be :( that and finish Dark Souls 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Mine is 50Hz. It's like the film speed. If the frequency of how I do things falls that low a bomb inside of me will explode.

Substitute "Bus" for "Retro"...

tumblr_lmhteaCpy81ql8lr5o1_500.jpg
    Yes, here's a simple program to describe it all
    10 buy game
    20 sell game
    30 four months later buy game again
    40 sell game
    50 weep for the foolishness of selling
    60 goto 10

You've managed to break that loop now though, as proven by Xenoblade:
    10 buy game
    20 buy game
    30 try to sell 2nd instance of game
    40 change mind
    50 sell 1st instance of game
    60 consider selling 2nd instance

Possible future patch:
    70 rename 2nd instance="1st instance"
    80 goto 20

Oh,
    Kirby :Nightmare in Dreamland for the GBA arrived today and lovely it is too.
    It's a port of the NES original but with amazing visuals, updated sound and mini games as well.
    Now to find Squeak Squad/Mouse Attack and Amazing Mirror.
    Then Dreamland 2 on the GB, Pinball Land, Block Ball and Dreamcourse.

Oh,
    It's a port of the NES original but with amazing visuals, updated sound and mini games as well.

*cough* arcade retro trading section *cough*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Oh,

Think I have Squeak Squad buried away somewhere, if I find it I'll sell it to you for a "Steve SI price"

*cough* arcade retro trading section *cough*

I'm after finding Dreamland 2, Blockball, Pinball, Star Stacker, Dream course for about 25 euro posted.
    Hard to do better than that!
    Oh, and they're all unboxed but that's all I need.
    I think your stuff is a little rich for my blood!

Think I have Squeak Squad buried away somewhere, if I find it I'll sell it to you for a "Steve SI price"

Sure, stick it in the Marketplace and I'll have a look

I'm after finding Dreamland 2, Blockball, Pinball, Star Stacker, Dream course for about 25 euro posted.
    Hard to do better than that!
    Oh, and they're all unboxed but that's all I need.
    I think your stuff is a little rich for my blood!

But mine are all boxed and lovely and the proceeds go towards the owaynott appreciation society summer adventure fund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

But mine are all boxed and lovely and the proceeds go towards the owaynott appreciation society summer adventure fund.

I approve of this organisation and it's sister organisation: The MrVestek Ain't Funding Your Holiday Project.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,085 ✭✭✭Doge

Retr0gamer wrote: »

You know i've wondered that surely back in the day,
    some Irish lads had an American relative over visiting and playing games with them and the American said:
    "Damnnnnn these Oirish games are slow as hell, back in America our games are faster!"

Only for the Irish lads to think to themselves....
    "Typical feckin big shot yank, saying everything is better in Amurica!"

• Advertisement

I think... I think I've just managed to score two Atari Lynx machines for the grand total of £10 sterling.

One is fully working and one is broken.

Wow, such bargain. Many joy. Such retro.

*edit* confirmed. It's on it's way.

Any good games for it? Any recommendations?

Stun Runner is brilliant.
    Xybots is a nice conversion too.

[troll]Pit Fighter[/troll]

It's like Cho Aniki but without the graphics, gameplay, fun, pretty much everything that you should buy a game for.

On a shameful note, having traded in my copy of Super Smash Bros Brawl for some €12 credit in CEX last week, I knew I'd pick it up in GS, as they were selling it for 4.97 brand new, some POS glitch.

This morning went through the stock of both the Clarehall and Donaghmede branches to no avail, before ringing and driving to Blanch and picking up the sub-€5 treasure.

Of course, I spent about €7 on petrol, so I'm not sure how cost effective the plan was :(

On a brighter note I got a rechargeable battery pack for the Wii Balance board, in case I ever get the urge to use it, however unlikely that is, another €5 there.

I trawled through every pound shop in North county Dublin looking for a AC adaptor for the incoming handheld, I have one but it's performing Famicom powering duties at the mo.
    And, to my surprise and horror, no adaptors to be found anywhere.
    Those things were quite prevalent at one stage but I guess they've become superfluous with the ubiquity of USB charging instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,291 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Fairly boring but might be of interest to some.

I picked up 25 NES box protectors for €28 delivered. Seller has one lot left.

Apparently these also fit 32X games.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-NES-Small-Box-Protectors-Snug-fit-/221383908720?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item338b825d70

Now to hunt down the Snes ones (they'll also fit Jaguar and N64 boxes)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Those look cool, was considering something like that myself.

Master of the Universe

Have heard good things about them. Must protect that precious cardboard :)

Serious question here lads. Just how rare is it to pick up an Atari Lynx?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

I bought them for my Super Famicom games, there's a big seller here in Holland :

http://www.gameprotecting.com/

Hell, I even have them for my CAVE kits :

th_DSCF5206.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

MrVestek wrote: »
    Serious question here lads. Just how rare is it to pick up an Atari Lynx?

I don't think they're rare in any way, slightly uncommon maybe, you got a good price though.

Master of the Universe

Casey120 wrote: »
    I bought them for my Super Famicom games, there's a big seller here in Holland :

http://www.gameprotecting.com/

Hell, I even have them for my CAVE kits :

th_DSCF5206.jpg

Holy crap that's a brilliant website, thanks!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Now to hunt down the Snes ones (they'll also fit Jaguar and N64 boxes)

This is the best place for box protectors. I got a game off Steve with one of these on it and went home and ordered another 60 cases:o. Quality and strength are amazing, may be slightly more expensive than others but worth it. They seem to be out of stock at the moment but if you don't mind waiting a while.

http://www.sentinel64.com/#!product/prd1/986155114/display-n64-snes-cases

Casey120 wrote: »

That's shops brilliant, never even heard of it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Yeah will be using it too, great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Phoenix Wright vs Professor Layton is out today, forgot to preorder so just got it this morning online.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Got myself a little retail Gameboy game display stand.

Saw one for sale on AO for €35 (before postage) and before going for it, I decided to check ebay. Thank feck I did, some lad has them listed at £14.99! (and free postage to the UK)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111230601529?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Should be good for storing loose Nintendo handheld carts.

Still tho £15 for a box :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Anyone here played Yoshi's New Island yet? Is it worth a pick up? Thinking about it, it didnt really get great reviews but I see some people are pleased with it so far.

Also, can you get the Yoshi 3DS anywhere in Dublin? Didnt see it on toy.ie or Gamestop.ie

EDIT: Just saw on Argos, €229.99, eh, I dont think so.

Master of the Universe

urbanledge wrote: »
    Still tho £15 for a box :eek:

An official Nintendo box not meant for consumers with a nice logo on the front of it :D

My dreams have come true.
    After first seeing the Turbo Express in a 1990 issue of C&VG while on night duty as a student nurse.
    And now it's all mine, albeit needing the audio cap kit done.
    The screen is gorgeous and completely scratch free.
    I have Blazing Lasers to keep my company until I get home and then it's time to board the Turbo Everdrive Express baby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Anyone here played Yoshi's New Island yet? Is it worth a pick up? Thinking about it, it didnt really get great reviews but I see some people are pleased with it so far.

Also, can you get the Yoshi 3DS anywhere in Dublin? Didnt see it on toy.ie or Gamestop.ie

EDIT: Just saw on Argos, €229.99, eh, I dont think so.

Not yet. I'm going to wait for the Japanese release and import it. From what I've heard it's more like a port of the SNES game rather than a totally new game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,783 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's about goddamn time, Capcom & Level 5! Thought this one was going to disappear into purgatory for a while.

2e0od21.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

My dreams have come true.
    After first seeing the Turbo Express in a 1990 issue of C&VG while on night duty as a student nurse.
    And now it's all mine, albeit needing the audio cap kit done.
    The screen is gorgeous and completely scratch free.
    I have Blazing Lasers to keep my company until I get home and then it's time to board the Turbo Everdrive Express baby!

Nice GET!.....but a word of advice. Don't just do the audio cap replacement. Replace ALL of the capacitors.

Your TG Express will thank you for it.

If you want the link to the place I sent my GT away to for a full SMD replacement, let me know. :)

I get the impression that someone already did the cap kit already as the screws look like they've been removed and the display is crystal clear, and the screen scratch free.
    But I'll inspect more closely when the cap kit gets here.
    Blazing Lazers is pretty great too.

• Advertisement

Personally I wouldn't risk it and just get the whole thing done anyway. GT/TE caps are all SMD so it is highly likely if it has been recapped that you will see through hole caps on SMD pads as, as far as I know, the full SMD recap is relatively new.

I recapped mine with through hole caps and made a balls of it. Now with full SMD and a seriously small outlay, my GT should be good for decades to come.

Anyways, let me know if you want that link... :)

Oh and Blazing Lasers is excellent. Really odd coincidence you are playing that on your TE as I have Gunhed in my GT right now! :)

I just need to be able to hear it!
    It looks lovely though.
    I'll pop out into my TG 16 when I get up in the morning.

This is still €6.99 in argos so picked a copy up.

C0843C00-53E6-476C-BAB0-C7229D047F39_zpsw0chid6t.jpg

But you already own it!
    It was your place that we played it!
    Is U MAdddd????

Or did you cider it up a notch, play it, sell it, buy it again?

You did play it at my house but it was DinoRex's copy.

• Advertisement

You did play it at my house but it was DinoRex's copy.

And just like that, the issue was cleared up.

It's very good, isn't it?

A perfect little jewel of a game and, it seems, unknown by the bulk of people thinking it just another juvenile game for kids with Nintendos.

The Fools!!!

Haven't played it since that night. Been to busy trying to finish puppeteer on the PS3.

I did really enjoy rhythm paradise on the DS although it was rather short.

My son loved Puppeteer, he played it to completion, he is finishing more games than i these days!

My son loved Puppeteer, he played it to completion, he is finishing more games than i these days!

Yeah it's a nice little platformer actually. Cut scenes can be a bit long but it does fit in with the whole theatre theme. I think I'm about halfway through.

The voice work in it is amazing, and the mechanics of the stage, I'd love to play it on a 3D display, it's supposed to be remarkable.
    I would say it's unfortunate it was largely ignored, given the amount of work that went into it.
    It's an example of how good some teams are at producing something truly special, though the gameplay is a little vanilla overall.
    But that kind of visual invention used to be reserved for Nintendo, but we have seen Sony produce such good stuff over the last decade, it's be sad to see their current troubles cut back on innovation and concentrate on the big stuff.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement