Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Giants: Citizen Kabuto on GOG for $4.99 (around €3.75 according to Paypal) for the next 16 hours. Just grabbed myself a copy, as my one from all the way back when has gone missing!

ba9eee409adb3fc092852da910bc6d7d809e38c8.jpg

I remember my system struggled to run it back then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,291 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

o1s1n wrote: »
    Got myself a little retail Gameboy game display stand.

Saw one for sale on AO for €35 (before postage) and before going for it, I decided to check ebay. Thank feck I did, some lad has them listed at £14.99! (and free postage to the UK)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111230601529?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Should be good for storing loose Nintendo handheld carts.

Just got one of these in the post, lovely little thing.

It happens to be a great way of storing snes carts, I was going to pick up another one and saw that the seller has put the price up to £16.99.

Feck that! :mad:

An official Nintendo box not meant for consumers with a nice logo on the front of it :D

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,085 ✭✭✭Doge

Here's two little gets i bought for a fiver each at Kaizoku Con this weekend:

301011.jpg

I'm really stoked with Aku Aku from Crash Bandicoot!

I thought it was 3D printed but it was actually sculpted with polymer clay i think by a really nice bloke called John.

He has lots more of them for sale as well as other items, here's his facebook page if you're interested:

https://www.facebook.com/TheNRDstudio?ref=ts&fref=ts

His Giant sized Legos are pretty cool but this life sized Stargate streals the show....

1002781_644772392211435_1563684791_n.jpg

1044015_644772402211434_1656429227_n.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The green interior means you can chromakey distant worlds, yes?
    And if it's like the show it'll be distant worlds that consistently look like either forests or gravel pits!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Steve X2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The green interior means you can chromakey distant worlds, yes?
    And if it's like the show it'll be distant worlds that consistently look like either forests or gravel pits!

Yep

ney.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

A few recent game related items. Not really playing that much retro at the minute, any free time I get I seem to hop on the PC instead to play Diablo 3 (except for a little bit of schmupery ofc).

aOtD6mi.jpg

sqTq29f.jpg

The lore books are really nice, especially the raised artwork on the covers (pretty cheap on thebookdepository too).

Pgtthr6.jpg

s2ewvzs.jpg

Envelope at the back of each book with a nice little map inside:

RSSCUkN.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Steve SI wrote: »

I like the poster in the background with earth's address on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

The only game related get I got was this cute Pac Man pin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

waveform wrote: »
    His Giant sized Legos are pretty cool but this life sized Stargate streals the show....

1002781_644772392211435_1563684791_n.jpg

1044015_644772402211434_1656429227_n.jpg

Wait... where was this? I didn't see this. WHY DIDN'T I SEE THIS?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright came!

MrVestek wrote: »
    Wait... where was this? I didn't see this. WHY DIDN'T I SEE THIS?!

You didn't see this because this was on his facebook page! Not at the Con. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

waveform wrote: »
    You didn't see this because this was on his facebook page! Not at the Con. :p

That would explain it! :P

Master of the Universe

Sick of sitting huddled over a Famicom already due to the short leads, so I bought myself this lovely little thing. Gotta love the little Hudson bee on it :)

Hudsonpad_zps4005a8d1.jpg

I've been talking about it but, at the same time as getting Kerb to review my AV mod in the Fami, I'm going to see about installing longer controller cables, they are definitely way to short for our gaming setups here, not like in the home islands where the kids can hunch over the telly, like in the Gamecentre game!
    Oddly, there isn't much out there on the topic so I'll have to dig something out, might use donor cables from some NES pads that are banjaxed instead....
    Some modders have installed controller ports on the front of the system, but I'd like to keep it as stock as possible.
    It's such a delightful console, the Famicom, like the Gamecube just looking at it makes me smile!

Master of the Universe

I've been reading up on this issue the last few days and there are a few solutions.

The key is the DB15 extension port on the front of the console.

I've used the 1 player solution - that Hudson controller plugs into the DB15 port, fairly straight forward.

There are two 2 player + solutions.

You can get your hands on a Hori famicom multitap that goes into the above mentioned extension port. Down side? - they're hard to come by.

The second requires modding, but if you're going to mod the existing cables then have a think about this one.

Get a NES Forescore multitap

Get a Neo Geo controller extension cable. (the extension port on the Famicom is recessed too far for a standard DB15 port, luckily the Neo Geo one is similar)

Mod the end of the four score multitap to use the DB15 cable instead (there are controller pinout guides online for this mod)

You can now use NES pads with your Famicom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

You could fit (well Kerbdog could :) ) mini DIN sockets to the console where the existing cables exit - probably not much bigger than the cable hole anyway rather then fitting the usual DB9 connectors to it.

Or add inline mini DINs to the current cable to you can extend the controller cable without altering the console - similar setup to the old Xbox controller cable.

Master of the Universe

Here's the Fourscore modding guide.

http://nesdev.com/ffpa.txt

Another benefit of this one is being able to use other peripherals like light guns etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,565 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Best solution I can think of is to get the AV Famicom and then you can use the dogbone controllers.

Well, I have a Fourscore sitting upstairs, I might pick up a Neogeo extension so.
    But, does that mean the existing controllers are then inoperable while the controllers on the Fourscore are used?

Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Best solution I can think of is to get the AV Famicom and then you can use the dogbone controllers.

But then you're missing out on the original Famicom's sexy lines :D
    Well, I have a Fourscore sitting upstairs, I might pick up a Neogeo extension so.
    But, does that mean the existing controllers are then inoperable while the controllers on the Fourscore are used?

Cool, I'm really interested in seeing how that turns out if you go ahead with it.

I'd say the existing controllers wouldn't work when the Forescore is being used. But then again, you're using the Forescore to extend your controller reach, so you wouldn't want to be using the Famicom controllers in that instance.

If it's to use them for four player, then I think you might just have to use four NES pads. I may be wrong though. Perhaps you can use the Famicom controllers for P1&P2 and then the Forscore ones for P3 & P4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

But then you're missing out on the original Famicom's sexy lines :D

That's certainly true. The AV Famicom is an awful looking console, despite it's advantages over the regular Famicom.

Master of the Universe

Indeed. I was thinking of picking one up a while back to get composite out and 60hz, but just couldn't bring myself to buying something so hideous.

Was it yourself who modded my Famicom by the way? (I think I read that somewhere)

Indeed. I was thinking of picking one up a while back to get composite out and 60hz, but just couldn't bring myself to buying something so hideous.

Yeah I know what you mean, it's so 'american-ised' or something. I know that's rich coming from someone who likes the look of the US Snes, but jeez, at least that's symmetrical :o
    Was it yourself who modded my Famicom by the way? (I think I read that somewhere)

Is that the one you got from Alter Egoist? Yep - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82882662&postcount=7

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Hah! That's gas, I remember reading that mod.

Still works a treat. I hadn't noticed any jail bars at all! :eek:

Still works a treat. I hadn't noticed any jail bars at all! :eek:

Yeah I was able to reduce them pretty much to the point of not being able to notice them. It depends on the tv too, so whatever tv your using it on might mean they're not visible at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yeah my famicom still works great too from myrddins AV mod.

Is the AV famicom the same design as the NES jr. That Nintendo brought out?

Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    Yeah I was able to reduce them pretty much to the point of not being able to notice them. It depends on the tv too, so whatever tv your using it on might mean they're not visible at all.

Yeah I'm using it on your old Trinitron, maybe the CRT image gets rid of them.
    Yeah my famicom still works great too from myrddins AV mod.

Is the AV famicom the same design as the NES jr. That Nintendo brought out?

It looks very similar, but most importantly, it doesn't have composite out. Only RF.

I really don't know what they were thinking there seeing as the AV Famicom was released first.

Yeah I'm using it on your old Trinitron, maybe the CRT image gets rid of them.

I got them reduced to almost invisible when viewing on my plasma, so the crt must iron out the last of them :)

• Advertisement

It looks very similar, but most importantly, it doesn't have composite out. Only RF.

I really don't know what they were thinking there seeing as the AV Famicom was released first.

I dunno, I think the design is alright. Obviously not a sexy as the regular Famicom but still think it's kinda cool!

avfamicom_1_small.jpg

A few bits today:

64F740CB-F6F1-4BD4-B5D6-1F4B0B8D2B6C_zps45c05bq5.jpg

The DS game is a dating sim and looks hilariously bad so I had to get it. The wii game seems to imply from the blurb that it has crime, mystery and action with sexy results so figured it was worth a punt at €3.50.

Also got a couple more happy meal mario toys. Very happy to get Yoshi!

C7BAA86F-72E6-4B2B-B413-F5EA1DCAD5A8_zpswgjdrucb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,565 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I think the AV Famicom is beautiful in a minimalistic way. I'm not overly fond of the original Famicom design. :p

Got this today in HMV. €14.99 for a brand new sealed mario kart wii.

BCB31879-B8A7-435A-AA9F-7B548BD09D0E_zpsmki3itbm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Not Retro, but got a Vita today off done deal for €120

Just spontaneously bought the Chocobo Collection for the Jap PS, it cost me €11 with shipping.
    I think it goes for a little bit more typically.
    Only spotted it with 30secs left on the clock.
    Looks interesting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

301577.jpg
    a gba , some nes/gba/gb games and case from the local (nice) charity shop.
    I've already got that nes game (top gun 2) as it turns out so may stick it up for trade if anyones interested

And you got Gameboy Gallery aka Game & Watch Gallery no.1, nice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

holy crap! I hadnt checked that (figured it was some cheapo compliation game).
    Just been playing 'ball' there now ;)

Only got 1 of the games I ordered from xtra vision. I really wanted the last of us but still, €3 for this isn't too bad.

1F390F35-0879-44FE-BB34-E0E81965BEAA_zpsut0knt9l.jpg

As soon as I heard the Xtra Vision Marketplace were sending out unboxed games, I've stopped using them. I knew already that some orders might get cancelled due to no stock, I've had some cancelled myself, but no boxes is no good to me :( Prices are good though, and any discs I've got have been in very good condition

• Advertisement

As soon as I heard the Xtra Vision Marketplace were sending out unboxed games, I've stopped using them. I knew already that some orders might get cancelled due to no stock, I've had some cancelled myself, but no boxes is no good to me :( Prices are good though, and any discs I've got have been in very good condition

Yeah I think it's hit or miss whether it'll come in a box or not. Thankfully that did and disc is Mint too. I was also aware that I probably wouldn't get all of the game I ordered. You can't really complain for 4 games for €12 though!

Yeah I think it's hit or miss whether it'll come in a box or not. Thankfully that did and disc is Mint too. I was also aware that I probably wouldn't get all of the game I ordered. You can't really complain for 4 games for €12 though!

Indeed, the price is great. I did find myself adding filler games to my basket just to qualify...& then the good games I wanted weren't in stock meaning I ended up getting games I prob wouldn't have bought to begin with. They really need a way to let buyers know if it's in stock or not, or if it has a box or not

Indeed, the price is great. I did find myself adding filler games to my basket just to qualify...& then the good games I wanted weren't in stock meaning I ended up getting games I prob wouldn't have bought to begin with. They really need a way to let buyers know if it's in stock or not, or if it has a box or not

Yeah perhaps an email to let you know what's in and out of stock and if you still want to order would be good. Just found out that they can send the games separately rather than one package so I might just yet receive the others!

Just won a car adapter for the Turbo Express, I'm going to convert it to work off an AC adapter as well.
    Also won a copy of Kirby and the Amazing Mirror for the GBA, just have to wait for the sellers Paypal address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Today I received

"Access to Sony Network Entertainment for this account has been banned or temporarily suspended."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,963 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Today I received

"Access to Sony Network Entertainment for this account has been banned or temporarily suspended."

Any reason why?

Were you being naughty?

"representations of one's Johnson is prohibited on PSN"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

"representations of one's Johnson is prohibited on PSN"

Oddly enough it isn't prohibited. What is prohibited as it turns out is showing one Johnson on PSN with the letters CFW tattooed on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Got Solatarobo Red the Hunter on DS in Argos for €6.99. Extremly happy been on the lookout for that game for sometime now.Also got Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze for WiiU, bloody hard game though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement