Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,963 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got a few things in during the week although most want' retro so I'll leave those out.

Finally got Professor Layton and the Last Spectre. Got the US version which has all the content unlike the EU version (and the crappy voice acting). So I now finally have all the DS Layton games.

Also Finally got Ar Tonelico 2. The 2 Ar Tonelico PS2 games seem to be getting hard to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

just finished Last Specter, wasn't as good as the first three imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,963 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

...I've played maybe 30 minutes of the first game. Damn you backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

I've got all the DS Laton game and the fist 3DS one.Relly enjoyed all the DS ones but didn't think much of the one I got on 3DS, don't think I'll bother with the Azran Legacy but I may get Layton Phoenix Wright game at some stage.

Got a few US only 3DS games there.

Picked up Rune Factory 4 boxed and from the estore I got Chibi Robo Photo Finder and Yumi's Odd Odyssey.

Kind of annoying this region locking thing but even more annoying is region specific digital content. I think Yumi's is coming to Europe but no word on Photo Finder. I'll probably have to pick up a EU 3DS soon since it's getting it's own exclusives as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

With thanks to The Groutch, I now have Kirby Squeak Squad for the DS.
    Nearly ready for the launch of Kirby Triple Trouble on the 3DS!
    Just Dreamland 2 on the Gameboy and I have all the Kirby platformers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Dropped in to GameSexchange today to see what the stock was like. Not been in the place for ages but jasus it's pretty depressing. So many sports games on so many formats :(

Picked up Strikers 1945 on the PSX for fiver to make the trip in some way worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,565 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Got Bravely Default on adverts last week. Broke my foot as well so now I have time to pkwy it.
    The only 3DS well apart from Link that's gets the 3D effect turned on for me.
    Absolutely gorgeous visuals. The artwork for the towns and the 3d effect are top notch.
    Also like how the fans lets you grind fast or nit at all. It's up to yourself with the option to increase or decrease the probability of an encounter. It's doesn't quite have Earthbounds approach to blowing away weaker opponents but with the auto play you can Almost do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

A couple of bits.

B7535DAD-3C24-4EB6-BC34-473729775F95_zpsd89ajfjy.jpg

I'll be playing OOT next. Never properly played a Zelda game so figured it'd be a good place to start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'll be playing OOT next. Never properly played a Zelda game so figured it'd be a good place to start!

Stick with it, the game is slow to start & graphically hasn't aged greatly...but underneath that is an incredible game.

• Advertisement

Oot like all other 3D zelda games can take a long time to click so stick with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had a blast of the N64 OoT recently, having finished the 3DS version last year.
    I have to say, the visuals still look ok, given the game is now 16 years old, and the manner that most N64 games have dated, and dated badly.
    The music is as atmospheric a scene setter as ever there was and taking the jump command away from the player, which seemed plenty weird at the time, makes lots of sense now.
    Cracking stuff.
    I stuff have gotten precisely no where in Majoras Mask, in fact, on a recent restart I got even less far than I did the first time before I gave up!

Majora's mask takes even longer to get into. It wasn't until I'd beaten the first dungeon that the game clicked with me and I loved it. That's a serious chunk of game time since even getting to the dungeon is a mammoth task and the dungeon itself is huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,291 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I wandered around OOT's Kokiri Forest recently enough in the Rift - still unimpressed :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    I wandered around OOT's Kokiri Forest recently enough in the Rift - still unimpressed :pac:

We'll what the Rift makes of you being damned to hell..... yeah, you heard me...

Master of the Universe

Hell for me is Kokiri Forest rendered in basic geometric shapes, low textures, vaseline blur and foggy draw distances, so yeah, I've already been there :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Hell for me is Kokiri Forest rendered in basic geometric shapes, low textures, vaseline blur and foggy draw distances, so yeah, I've already been there :P

Does it have a 'Like' button yet ?

It's official...o1s1n is a graphics whore :P

Master of the Universe

Does it have a 'Like' button yet ?

I'm still waiting for it to do this...!

my_reaction_after_learning_facebook_bought_oculus_540.gif
    Myrddin wrote: »
    It's official...o1s1n is a graphics whore :P

I just like my aesthetics to be pleasing is all :P

Kokiri forest in ALTTP is a gorgeous representation of a forest.

The main section of Kokiri forest in OOT looks like an ATB course. I'm surprised Link doesn't zoom around it on a scrambler :pac:

I just like my aesthetics to be pleasing is all :P

Kokiri forest in ALTTP is a gorgeous representation of a forest.

The main section of Kokiri forest in OOT looks like an ATB course. I'm surprised Link doesn't zoom around it on a scrambler :pac:

I'd agree that LttP was a more pleasing art style than OoT...but to render such a gorgeous world as Hyrule is in LttP, in 3D on the N64 was never going to happen. I remember the first ever time I turned on an N64 with OoT in it...I turned it off in disgust probably not ten mins later because of the graphics. And that was back then! But underneath the look of OoT, is a masterpiece...you just have to dig to find it.

I'd agree with Cidey that today OoT hasn't aged as badly as other N64 games, & to me now, still looks OK. But when I play it, I'm too busy enjoying the gameplay & music to waste time analyzing the graphics :o

• Advertisement

OoT also has the N64 problem of a game engine that seems to be held together by the optimism of the coders.

Master of the Universe

The game just never appealed to me. I played it when it was released on my cousin's console with high hopes for something great and didn't like it at all. It seemed like a step back from the Playstation games I was playing at the time.

I've gone back to it a few times since (most recent was playing it through completely on the 3DS) and although I can fully appreciate that it's a great game, it just never 'clicked' for me.

Master of the Universe

By the way, I got those game case cover thingies in the post. They're really brilliant. Couldn't recommend them enough for people with cardboard game boxes.

They even have a nice bonus of reshaping mangled game boxes. I've a few which were literally flattened/bent out of shape to the point where they were no longer a box. Stuck them in these cases and they have their shape back now.

By the way, I got those game case cover thingies in the post. They're really brilliant. Couldn't recommend them enough for people with cardboard game boxes.

They even have a nice bonus of reshaping mangled game boxes. I've a few which were literally flattened/bent out of shape to the point where they were no longer a box. Stuck them in these cases and they have their shape back now.

Don't care.
    You are now dead to me.
    So why am I even quoting and replying to you, now that you are dead?
    I don't know.
    I'm odd that way I guess....

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Don't care.
    You are now dead to me.
    So why am I even quoting and replying to you, now that you are dead?
    I don't know.
    I'm odd that way I guess....

That level of righteous indignation is only allowed when you've actually finished the game :p

That level of righteous indignation is only allowed when you've actually finished the game :p

I did, January 2013, while is in hospital having the heart checked out.
    They found the heart, turned out decades of hating side scrolling beatem ups had shrunken it somewhat, and I completed the 3DS edition of OoT!
    Indignation Is Mine!!! And so is all the Righteous I can carry!!

The game just never appealed to me. I played it when it was released on my cousin's console with high hopes for something great and didn't like it at all. It seemed like a step back from the Playstation games I was playing at the time.

It was technically way ahead of anything on the playstation at the time and offered a vast playing area that no other PS1 game could match for a long time. Well except Megaman Legends but everyone forgets that it did a lot of what OoT did first!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Sentinal64 do loads of different types now, i was looking on their site last night, they even do ones for Console boxes, think the snes and n64 anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Still waiting on my neo geo USB pad from playasia, It's been a good few weeks :'(

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It was technically way ahead of anything on the playstation at the time and offered a vast playing area that no other PS1 game could match for a long time. Well except Megaman Legends but everyone forgets that it did a lot of what OoT did first!

Ah yeah, I'm not debating any of that. What I mean is my teenage eye was going from looking at things with lovely detailed prerendered backgrounds and smaller, but more enemy filled areas (Think Resident Evil 2 and the likes) to something like OOT with sparse open areas and low res textures. It didn't look nearly as nice and felt almost unfinished.
    keithgeo wrote: »
    Sentinal64 do loads of different types now, i was looking on their site last night, they even do ones for Console boxes, think the snes and n64 anyways.

The guys I got mine from had them for everything you can imagine. Even protective sleeves for Megadrive boxes - the madness of that :D

Dropped in to GameSexchange again today, picked up a nice condition ZX Spectrum +2 with joysticks and a bag of games for 30 quid.

Not bad, might wander in there a bit more regularly and see what's behind the counter. All the games work so far as well which is unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,085 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve SI wrote: »
    Dropped in to GameSexchange again today, picked up a nice condition ZX Spectrum +2 with joysticks and a bag of games for 30 quid.

Not bad, might wander in there a bit more regularly and see what's behind the counter. All the games work so far as well which is unusual.

Jaysus, never knew they did stuff more retro than the PS2!

Is it actually called Games Exchange up there?

The one in Cork is called Entertainment Exchange. No pre-PS2 retro goodness down here though. :(

Master of the Universe

Hygro wrote: »

Nice!

I had to stop myself buying that as I've too many stick as is. Kind of regret it now. :(

Thats an incredible stick, grats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

Cheers, I've a friend heading to the US this weekend to visit relatives so I'm getting her to smuggle this back for me http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-PLAYSTATION-NAMCO-ARCADE-CONTROLLER-JOY-STICK-RARE-TESTED-/271446808672?pt=US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item3f337d9860 well not this exact one, but the guy selling it had two for sale and I've bought the other one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Got my 1CC shirt. Lovely quality I'd get another one of them.

BkyTMxGIYAAAe8A.jpg

Just picked up my new Zelda 3DS XL from parcel motel. Tis a nice thing and I'm glad I picked it over the yoshi version(which I'll get next month).

rjo5.jpg

nmo9.jpg

Oh that's lovely.
    I want a 3dsxl badly.
    Might get one in Japan later in the year

urbanledge wrote: »
    Oh that's lovely.
    I want a 3dsxl badly.
    Might get one in Japan later in the year

Yeah, they're nice yolks. I'm afraid to even check how many I have at this stage :o these special editions are so addictive. I mean it's only a different coat of paint :D
    It's insane you can't link your previous downloads to a new 3DS!!

• Advertisement

Actually, has anyone picked up the Yoshi 3DS XL yet?
    How's it look in person?

Couldent justify another 3ds, i have us/jap x 3 pal but I agree the zelda one is nicest although the luigi one is nice too..not mad about the pokemon, japan has some lovely ones though, like the slime one might pick it up at some stage, yoshi doesent look great imho but would like to see it in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Went for the Luigi 3DSXL at Christmas, definitely my favourite of the EU special editions. Current total stands at

Black EU 3DS
    Luigi EU 3DSXL
    Purple US 3DS
    White JP 3DSXL

Will be in Tokyo when Persona Q is released, along with the special edition XL for it. I've a strong feeling the excitement of the launch will result in me buying it.

The Luigi one looks the business, as does the Yoshi knew, pity then they didn't make a decent Yoshi game to go along with!
    I'll await some Metroid edition in the future perhaps!

Master of the Universe

I'll await some Metroid edition in the future perhaps!

:eek: Now that would really be something.

It's surprising how underused the Metroid franchise is when it comes to merchandise and console variants. We get Mario this, Zelda that... but not much Samus.

Off the top of my head all I can think of is this.

nintendocamecubemedroid2.jpg

Like this?
    sheamus-e1376330185465.jpg
    Or maybe there's a typo in my search bar :)

Here's today's GET, 3 Crash games and a cheapo PS1 memory card:

302579.jpg

I have Crash Bandicoot Warped on the way also to complete the PS1 trilogy.

Ever since I bought the Aku Aku pin at Kaizoku Con, I have been itching to play the first game again.

I think it was the first game I played on the PS1 and I was amazed at how colourful and vivid the game was.

It was addictive as hell also.

Someone mentioned recently that the likes of the original Crash and Spyro games are going for decent money now.
    They're nice and all, but no Mario 64.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Someone mentioned recently that the likes of the original Crash and Spyro games are going for decent money now.

There's some value in ntsc games compared to pal. The price of pal stuff in gone crazy, then throw in the improved 60hz of ntsc. If I was starting all over again it would be ntsc all the way.

That was myself and Atavan! I think I got the 3 in the pic for less than 25 euro including uk postage and parcel motel so it wasnt too bad. I've spent about 13 on Warped alone in total as it was from another seller.

Not half as bad as some of the buy it now prices. :eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement