Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,565 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Myrddin wrote: »
    Ok, this is a big one for me. It's been on the wanted list for a good while, so I seen it coming up at what I'd consider an ok price, having sold some more doubled consoles, how could I say no? When you sell a double, or doubles to fund something like this, I find myself thinking "Sure it's costing me nothing, so why not?!" :o

29z8ufs.jpg

Label looks good, a few tiny dings, but tbh I'd prefer that on a cart like this. A mint & shiny label would throw up alarm bells, so I purposely bought this knowing the label was 8/10

14vr021.jpg

The all important pcb check. Phew, it's the real deal.

69mkxu.jpg

So, I can cross this one off the list now. I might actually buy the strategy guide at some point, it's dear but not too bad. I did get stung with customs though, it's always a risk though.

9k1qoy.jpg

Welcome to the club my good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,085 ✭✭✭Doge

MrVestek wrote: »
    My new caffeine delivery device courtesy of some Sub City at MCM Comic Con.

One of the only things I purchased whilst there. Well... that and ALL THE POCKY!

IMG_20140415_093513.jpg

Thats awesome, makes me wonder what sort of gets i missed out on up there!

I have a non-arcade, but retro mug ordered so that will suffice.

The art is like a mashup between sonic 1 and sonic 2 isn't it?

The clouds look like they were done by the artist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Welcome to the club my good man.

Why thank you good sir :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,964 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No where near as awesome as Earthbound but I got the Japanese version of the new Strider game. It only got a physical release in Japan and it also came with downloadable codes for Strider 1 and 2 so not bad overall.

I also got Jake Hunter after o1s1n reminded me I needed it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,565 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Why thank you good sir :cool:

Pip pip and all that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,783 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I now have extreme levels of gratitude for a Mr. Andrew76, who I picked this up from today:

o7ssjo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Some more argos bargains. These are currently only €8.99 each or 2 for €28 according to the website (:confused:)

0E852A92-F1F3-4457-A3B2-682C76150E56_zps5lb6jaxv.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Pip pip and all that.

One of those "Hey ho, pip and dandy moments sir...".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

We converted Mother 2 owners get into the club as well, though we dust the shelves and fill brandy glasses.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    We converted Mother 2 owners get into the club as well, though we dust the shelves and fill brandy glasses.

*clicks fingers....another brandy my good man

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

*clicks fingers....another brandy my good man

Yes M'lud...
    Right away...

Yes M'lud...
    Right away...

Speaking of, have you played the damn game yet?!

Yes M'lud...
    Right away...

http://youtu.be/T7Vadzjac6g?t=23s

Speaking of, have you played the damn game yet?!

Oh look!
    A bee!
    (runs away)

Oh look!
    A bee!
    (runs away)

Earthbound_(SNES)_11.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

IMG_20140415_093513.jpg

Is that...?.............A BOLD 9900? :eek:

bobby-dnw.gif

However I like how the snap of yourself and yer wan adds a sort of 'seal of approval' feeling/theme to the retro mug. :D

I-love-you-gif-Tim-Gunn.gif

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Is that...?.............A BOLD 9900? :eek:

bobby-dnw.gif

However I like how the snap of yourself and yer wan adds a sort of 'seal of approval' feeling/theme to the retro mug. :D

I-love-you-gif-Tim-Gunn.gif

Yes that's a Blackberry POS Bold 9900. That's my work desk... I paid for us to get a bunch of professional shots done a while ago for our engagement so I'm darn well going to display them around the place to get my money's worth!

That bold has been sitting on my desk as a tester for months now.

Thankfully everyone is moving towards iPhones and Android devices so I'll no longer need to deal with Crackberries anymore.

The keyboards are fine but having to have a separate service on the network for them... and having to centrally manage them.

No thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Tis a nice pic for sure.

eu02.jpg

Steve SI wrote: »
    Tis a nice pic for sure.

eu02.jpg

I thought you were supposed to be the kind of jagged edge removal?

Tsk tsk... letting yourself down there Steve! :D

• Advertisement

I thought you were supposed to be the kind of jagged edge removal?

Tsk tsk... letting yourself down there Steve! :D

That's the difference between a 30 second edit and a 5 minute edit :)

That's the difference between a 30 second edit and a 5 minute edit :)

There's a difference between Microsoft Paint and GIMP. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

One of those "Hey ho, pip and dandy moments sir...".
    http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/doge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Advertisement

There's a difference between Microsoft Paint and GIMP. ;-)

GIMP!!!

What am I, a Peasant!! :D

98717_HolyGrail027_130710105324.jpg

Yes that's a Blackberry POS Bold 9900. That's my work desk... I paid for us to get a bunch of professional shots done a while ago for our engagement so I'm darn well going to display them around the place to get my money's worth!

That bold has been sitting on my desk as a tester for months now.

Thankfully everyone is moving towards iPhones and Android devices so I'll no longer need to deal with Crackberries anymore.

The keyboards are fine but having to have a separate service on the network for them... and having to centrally manage them.

No thanks!

I've still got a Note 3 as a personal and an S4 for work. We're kind of in that limbo area right now too. The murky fog of decision-making to finally break away from BBOS/BES.

I actually took delivery of a Nokia 1520 yesterday to mess around with for a bit. I swear to God, Windows Phone is the way forward. And you can chuck it on to the latest BES for an MDM solution, saving the hassle of going with a cloud solution for MDM (and the costs that come along with it).

The real meat of the sandwich is with built-in RMS though. It's magical! It's built-in and just bloody well works. No fuss. If you want RMS on an Android, iOS or BBOS solution you are looking at a truckload of cash to get it to work.

In WP8.1 apparently RMS can be initiated from the handset rather than just participate in RMS initated from Outlook or OWA etc. That's a game changer right there. Another thing is the setup time from out of the box to in the hand production. Setup via Activesync took about 2 minutes (tops, seriously). Bowled over by that. No device enrolments, mucking around with app installs, containers etc. Just chuck in your domain info etc and away you go. Brilliant for handset rollouts and refreshing.

I had a Lumia 800 in the past, loved it and quickly fell out of love with it. WP8 (and 8.1) though is a different beast. F**k Android, iOS and BBOS, Windows Phone is seriously shaping up to be THE enterprise solution.

o1s1n's guvnor will be well happy. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

did someone say Doge?

http://doge2048.com/

I've still got a Note 3 as a personal and an S4 for work. We're kind of in that limbo area right now too. The murky fog of decision-making to finally break away from BBOS/BES.

I actually took delivery of a Nokia 1520 yesterday to mess around with for a bit. I swear to God, Windows Phone is the way forward. And you can chuck it on to the latest BES for an MDM solution, saving the hassle of going with a cloud solution for MDM (and the costs that come along with it).

The real meat of the sandwich is with built-in RMS though. It's magical! It's built-in and just bloody well works. No fuss. If you want RMS on an Android, iOS or BBOS solution you are looking at a truckload of cash to get it to work.

In WP8.1 apparently RMS can be initiated from the handset rather than just participate in RMS initated from Outlook or OWA etc. That's a game changer right there. Another thing is the setup time from out of the box to in the hand production. Setup via Activesync took about 2 minutes (tops, seriously). Bowled over by that. No device enrolments, mucking around with app installs, containers etc. Just chuck in your domain info etc and away you go. Brilliant for handset rollouts and refreshing.

I had a Lumia 800 in the past, loved it and quickly fell out of love with it. WP8 (and 8.1) though is a different beast. F**k Android, iOS and BBOS, Windows Phone is seriously shaping up to be THE enterprise solution.

o1s1n's guvnor will be well happy. :D

I'm sorry but Windows Phone OS can go die in a fire as far as I'm concerned.

If that's all it has going for it then I see feck all point. From a business perspective? I completely understand what you're saying but by making activesync integration so seemless in Windows Phone 7/8 only they've totally ****ed over a potential customer base.

I would gladly fork out for extra licenses to have a better Activesync integration / functionality with iOS and Android.

It'd ultimately cost less than pissing off the entire workforce by forcing them to use Windows Phone OS.

Especially when they have a certain level of freedom on iOS and Android.

Besides Exchange 2010 / 2013 has some built in iOS / Android controls such as remote wiping etc. Why would I want any more than that?

Sorry dude you're on your own where Windows Phone OS is concerned!

I digress however...

GIMP!!!

What am I, a Peasant!! :D

98717_HolyGrail027_130710105324.jpg

No yer a GIMP. :P

• Advertisement

No yer a GIMP. :P

Yes, but only at weekends and for a price.

I'm sorry but Windows Phone OS can go die in a fire as far as I'm concerned.

If that's all it has going for it then I see feck all point. From a business perspective? I completely understand what you're saying but by making activesync integration so seemless in Windows Phone 7/8 only they've totally ****ed over a potential customer base.

I would gladly fork out for extra licenses to have a better Activesync integration / functionality with iOS and Android.

It'd ultimately cost less than pissing off the entire workforce by forcing them to use Windows Phone OS.

Especially when they have a certain level of freedom on iOS and Android.

Besides Exchange 2010 / 2013 has some built in iOS / Android controls such as remote wiping etc. Why would I want any more than that?

Sorry dude you're on your own where Windows Phone OS is concerned!

I digress however...

I get what you are saying, until recently I dismissed Windows Phone too. But that was because of lack of apps. There's nothing wrong with the OS. From a trial I ran recently, users were more enthusiastic about Windows Phone than Android and iOS.

They found it easier to use and pretty much everything required was built-in and ready to go. In a real-world situation, these devices would likely be going in to the silver haired belt-and-braces arena or the 'picnic' (problem in chair not in computer) crowd. Android, or at least the 'Samsung bloat' is too overwhelming. What do they 'really need? Calls. SMS. Data. Roaming data. Email. BBM. Lync. That's pretty much it as a vanilla install. Plus for quick deployment and/or refresh turnaround, setting up, for example, an S4 is a pain in the backside compared to powering on a Lumia, entering a few creds and away you go. What the user does with the app store is their business. You save yourself that few bob by throwing the phones on the latest BES as an MDM (so stagger the rollout) and away you go.

To have all of that ready to go on one device, and then use the MDM for cost control, roaming, audit etc in comparison to buttocking around setting up an S4/S5 et al, creating accounts, downloading apps, container installs and clients tied to the container, then investing thousands of Euro in an RMS solution?

At this stage I'd rather take the Windows Phone. The problem is, gadget envy. Windows Phone doesn't have the 'street cred' and it would take a lot of convincing to get that particular crowd on-side. But show them what WP can do, and the fact handsets are more price friendly and vendors happier to do deals just to clear stock, and in my personal opinion, WP is a no-brainer.

I seriously, have no clue about modern phones. I'm clinging onto that old Nokia like glue :o

I get what you are saying, until recently I dismissed Windows Phone too. But that was because of lack of apps. There's nothing wrong with the OS. From a trial I ran recently, users were more enthusiastic about Windows Phone than Android and iOS.

They found it easier to use and pretty much everything required was built-in and ready to go. In a real-world situation, these devices would likely be going in to the silver haired belt-and-braces arena or the 'picnic' (problem in chair not in computer) crowd. Android, or at least the 'Samsung bloat' is too overwhelming. What do they 'really need? Calls. SMS. Data. Roaming data. Email. BBM. Lync. That's pretty much it as a vanilla install. Plus for quick deployment and/or refresh turnaround, setting up, for example, an S4 is a pain in the backside compared to powering on a Lumia, entering a few creds and away you go. What the user does with the app store is their business. You save yourself that few bob by throwing the phones on the latest BES as an MDM (so stagger the rollout) and away you go.

To have all of that ready to go on one device, and then use the MDM for cost control, roaming, audit etc in comparison to buttocking around setting up an S4/S5 et al, creating accounts, downloading apps, container installs and clients tied to the container, then investing thousands of Euro in an RMS solution?

At this stage I'd rather take the Windows Phone. The problem is, gadget envy. Windows Phone doesn't have the 'street cred' and it would take a lot of convincing to get that particular crowd on-side. But show them what WP can do, and the fact handsets are more price friendly and vendors happier to do deals just to clear stock, and in my personal opinion, WP is a no-brainer.

I turn on the phone, I set up their email.

The rest is up to them as far as I'm concerned as it's non business related.

I totally get where you're coming from on a business level like I said but if that's all the phones have going for them then they're going to fail in the market, you can trust me on that.

It's the typical Microsoft thing of embracing and changing it just enough to convince people to stay within one solution.

Balls to that I say.

Besides users don't just want their smartphones for email and IM and we all know it. We all know that there are a certain subset of people that will go out of their way to break a company phone just to get the latest and greatest.

Usually at managerial level or above.

Anyway we have some propriatory applications that only either have Windows CE 6.5 (please don't ever make me use this OS again) applications or an Android application.

They *could* develop a Win Phone OS version of the app for us at a cost but feck that. That budget can be saved to give directors their flashy smartphones that they'll never use for anything more than checking their email.

They will end up with flashy phones though and they'll love IT for it as a result.

Anyway. Activesync as a thing needs to die. Permanently.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

We have active sync running on WP8, IOS and Android devices with no issues at all. you dont need extra license for IOS and Android. We encrypt each device and use a 6 digit pin and can remote wipe from exchange 2007? we had no hassle setting it up. we're also implementing BYOD at the minute too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Honestly, what I look for in a phone is "can I take selfies, and can I upload them to twitter?" If it passes my rigorous test then I'm sold. It also must have an apple logo in it somewhere so people know I'm a sophisticated young go getter in this dog eat dog world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,964 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm still rocking a brick Nokia. Still going strong and only needs a charge after a week.

keithgeo wrote: »
    We have active sync running on WP8, IOS and Android devices with no issues at all. you dont need extra license for IOS and Android. We encrypt each device and use a 6 digit pin and can remote wipe from exchange 2007? we had no hassle setting it up. we're also implementing BYOD at the minute too.

I think he was talking about third party solutions for remote management of the device on some level but yes since Exchange 2007 and above there are plugins available (some by default) that allow exchange to directly control an activesync enabled device - which is all of them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

So to summarise today's activities:

Steve: Illustrator fanboy.
    Pyong: Windows Phone fanboy.
    Vestek: 'Anything but Windows Phone' fanboy.
    Atavan: Apple fanboy.
    Myrddin & Retr0: Use phones powered by coal.

:P :P

I'm an Android fan, rocking with Cyanogenmod firmware on my S4, looking forward to Kitkat any day now.

• Advertisement

Jaysis, I'm off to ebay to buy something...anything, to get this thread readable again :D

Definitely a Windows Phone fan here. Unashamedly so too. But more from an Enterprise angle.

As a day to day consumer phone, I love my Note 3. I hope the Note 4, when/if such a device arrives, can top it.

I really do believe, if the workplace embraced WP, it could be a proper BlackBerry replacement. The only things swimming around RIM's think tank right now are turds.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I think he was talking about third party solutions for remote management of the device on some level but yes since Exchange 2007 and above there are plugins available (some by default) that allow exchange to directly control an activesync enabled device - which is all of them.

Cool, we didn't need any plugins though all 3 operating systems just worked for calendar email encryption etc . We are replacing mdm devices with another application that sandboxes apps on the mobile devices to give network access to shares, sharepoint etc. You can publish your own apps within it. With this type of thing Microsoft are behind apple and android until recently you could do feck all with the windows 8 devices other than see then in the console haha .

Anyway way off topic here so ill leave it at that ! ;)

Latest pick up, Red Tmolding for a cab. I haven't bought a game in ages other than pilotwings on the 3ds in argos this week. All my money is going towards prams and other boring baby stuff.

Jaysis, I'm off to ebay to buy something...anything, to get this thread readable again :D

303565.png

So, no Palm Pre owners here then...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,783 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

How to choose a phone:

Question one: Does it play Threes!?
    If yes, buy phone.
    If no, do not buy phone.

Congratulations, you have a new phone!

Right lads !
    heres a big one for ya's!
    totally random buy :D

2014-04-16+22.19.36.jpg

Im playing with the big boys now :eek:

2014-04-16+21.11.38.jpg

2014-04-16+22.21.00.jpg

2014-04-16+22.20.39.jpg

Holy crap, that's damn impressive man!

Holy crap, that's damn impressive man!

lol,tell that to the missus :D
    ah no she likes it,I gotta move the room around a bit.
    few small issues with it but no biggies I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Jaysus Dave... FFS no volume on them yokes!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement