Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Flash Cart in the vid isn't available but a less buggy and, unfortunately, less pretty alternative is the Tototek flash cart...
    PCE Pro 32M Flash Cart
    Looks pretty sweet and isn't too expensive, I really need some new games to play on my TG-16!

edit: Bugger and buggeration! It's sold out!

Wait a while, there is a Turbo Everdrive in development at the moment which should be pretty decent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, heard about that and will probably be the best option.
    Hard to make the devices neat though, at least MD and Snes flashcarts can fit into a standard respective cart shell, the PCE/TG-16 carts are cards!
    We'll have to wait and see, then spend!
    There simply is little other option unless I am happy to spend a fortune importing from the States, plus it means I can play Jap games without the prohibitively expensive region converter for the TG-16.
    But it is such a choice machine, the games are pretty brilliant and it is a pity titles aren't readily available from local retro vendors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

@safetyboy - Just following up from the other thread & Super Mario RPG, quite a nice way of modding the cart without actually modding it. I assume its the same pin covered, that would be connected to the pin in the cart that your meant to lift?

@waveform - some of the sockets are empty in o1s1ns pcb because Capcom used a standard cps board for all the cps1 games. Certain games require more eeproms, certain ones require less...but the board can accommodate any cps1 game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,689 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Actually the Saturn game is an entirely different conversion from the PS2 game. The latter was released in Japan as part of a budget series and in the west a selection of these formed the Seha Classics compilation.
    So yes, there was one game on the PS2 but released in two different manners in the east and west.

I'm not sure how the PS2 version plays but the early games in that Sega budget rerelease series are absolute dirt until M2 took over and put out some stunningly emulated games and collections. Best to read up on how the conversion is before you buy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, I have them, the PS2 game is very good, the other titles on the collection are the likes of the truly deplorable update of Golden Axe, worse than the original in every way, and that's saying something coming from me!
    The Outrun update is not as good as the original, but fun but no where near the glory that is Outrun 2006, a superior racer on the Xbox, PS2, PSP and XBLA in HD.
    For my money the Xbox and PS2 versions are the Win as they have all the extra content, the fresh track set etc.

Buy the set for Virtua Racing and you won't be disappointed with the "bonus" of everything else on the disk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Can we set up a 'Post here everytime something doesn't arrive from ebay for some convoluted reason or because of Royal Mail and also stuff that isn't as described' thread?

Castlevania Dawn of Sorrows MIA and red box Mario Kart listed as like new and perfect and 100% complete arrives sans booklet and missing colour at edges and plus sticker marks.

Love retro collecting!

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Can we set up a 'Post here everytime something doesn't arrive from ebay for some convoluted reason or because of Royal Mail and also stuff that isn't as described' thread?

Castlevania Dawn of Sorrows MIA and red box Mario Kart listed as like new and perfect and 100% complete arrives sans booklet and missing colour at edges and plus sticker marks.

Love retro collecting!

Give me Royal Mail over An Post any day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

EnterNow wrote: »
    @safetyboy - Just following up from the other thread & Super Mario RPG, quite a nice way of modding the cart without actually modding it. I assume its the same pin covered, that would be connected to the pin in the cart that your meant to lift?

Was that meant to be directed at me? Anyway I took a pic of the pcb there sorry for the bad quality

2a5dg6e.png

Its pin 56 on the connector, the trace runs up to a resister? I dont know what they're called, but its marked R5, and from that there seems to be two traces back to like pins 123/124 on the sa chip but doesn't seem to trace to pin 127 which is the one you're meant to lift, pretty weird!

Played it for a few hours last night and didn't run into any problems, doing this is meant to work on all the other games will similar lockout protection using the SA1 including SFA2 ntsc version and star ocean etc. I scoured the net for ages and seen this method only mentioned once on a random forum so don't know if I`ll run into gameplay problems down the line

@nuxx - yeah sorry that was for you :)

Nice little solution regardless, you should email mmmonkey & let him know it's working for you & that your cart wouldn't work on a switch modified snes...he might post it up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Sparks43 wrote: »
    So what is it?:D:D:D:D

I've never seen one before sir, no-one has but I'm guessing it's a white hole.

Achilles wrote: »
    I've never seen one before sir, no-one has but I'm guessing it's a white hole.

A white hole?

A white hole?

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. A black hole sucks time and matter out of the universe: a white hole returns it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Nice little solution regardless

Yup handy for people like me who are too brain dead to use a soldering iron :pac: Just to clarify it boots in 50 or 60hz but won't if the lockout chip is set to pal. Great game too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

So, that thing's spewing time back into the
    universe?

So, that thing's spewing time back into the
    universe?

Precisely. That's why we're experiencing these curious time phenomena on boards.

Precisely. That's why we're experiencing these curious time phenomena on boards.

What time phenomena?

What time phenomena?

Like just then, when the thread repeated itself.

Like just then, when the thread repeated itself.

Okay, so it's decided then. We consult Cidey

Okay, so it's decided then. We consult Cidey

So what is it?

• Advertisement

So what is it?

Time is occurring in random pockets.The laws of causality no longer apply.
    An action no longer leads to a consequence.

Time is occurring in random pockets.The laws of causality no longer apply.
    An action no longer leads to a consequence.

Look, the only way out of this is to consult Holly.

Look, the only way out of this is to consult Holly.

Ah, I think we've just encountered the middle of this
    conversation!

Its so wrong that I'm reading that conversation in the voices of the characters :D Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,164 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah jaysus, so I bought the Sturmwind LE thinking I hadn't really bought anything in ages.

Only to log into my email account for the first time today and see my offer on a Snes Firepower prototype (or known as Super Swiv over here) had been accepted. I put an offer down which was 2/3 his buy it now chancing my arm and he accepted.

- So for future reference, log into email account BEFORE leaping on something new!

Ah well, two nice purchases on the way. :)

Unfortunately there is no evidence of White Holes in this universe at least.
    It may be that the only universes that support life are those that do not have white holes.
    Their presence may herald issues about radiation density or an arrow of time problem that could disrupt the manner of chemical processes that our type of life depends on.
    That doesn't preclude another type of life occupying niches in a white hole universe however, it just may not be like ours.

Really, we have seen no structure resembling a white hole, whatever that is going to look like, in our universe, or at least our observable universe, this last statement is important because there is more universe than we can see.

Black holes themselves are full of puzzles, the information within the matter they consume must be preserved and hence this leads to the holographic theory which, in turn, has been extended to the universe at large, supposing that we and everything else in the universe is merely a projection from the holograph contained on the surface of the universe itself.....

Time travel itself is only permissible to time periods within the lifespan of the time machine, so you can use the black hole, a rotating one preferably, to travel back in time but only to a co-ordinate within the life span of the black hole itself.
    It fixes all the issues with "Why aren't time travelers here, now?", they can't until someone turns on a time machine somewhere.

Same will be for entangled ftl communications, using spooky action at a distance, have to have two particles, entangled, before it will work but it should work.

EPR bridges are another thing, wormholes, but for those to work we need all sorts of engineering techniques that are way way ahead, so exotic matter to open the mouth of the wormhole so something can pass through, anchoring one to a entry/exit point, pinning the other to an asteroid, towing it away at near the speed of light before bringing it back again, you now have a time machine into the past, congratulations!
    If you leave it out there you have a nice little bridge over vast distances, congratulations again!!

Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed.....

Damn Dwarfies....

I'm going to find Wilma for some lovin, Freds away on business!

Black holes themselves are full of puzzles, the information within the matter they consume must be preserved and hence this leads to the holographic theory which, in turn, has been extended to the universe at large, supposing that we and everything else in the universe is merely a projection from the holograph contained on the surface of the universe itself.....

There was a fascinating thread in the astronomy forrum recently about black holes. One of the posts explained that as you approach the event horizon of a black hole, time & distance become swapped. So anything in front of you is ahead of you in time, & anything behind you is in the past...hence why you can never escape a black hole. It also details that because relative time slows down & eventually stops at the event horizon, you can never actually cross the event horizon because time for you has relatively stopped. Also, to top it off, because the time & distance co-ordinates are reversed, a black hole is filled with the very matter that ever entered it, or ever will in the future...no thats some heavy sh1t there.
    Time travel itself is only permissible to time periods within the lifespan of the time machine, so you can use the black hole, a rotating one preferably, to travel back in time but only to a co-ordinate within the life span of the black hole itself.
    It fixes all the issues with "Why aren't time travelers here, now?", they can't until someone turns on a time machine somewhere.

Relative time slows down for the traveler using this method, so to anyone attempting this, to them when they return to normal speeds they will be in the future. It's only a mathematical thing but relativity does allow for forwards time travel. Backwards time travel though? I don't think so...but I'm no physicist :o
    Same will be for entangled ftl communications, using spooky action at a distance, have to have two particles, entangled, before it will work but it should work.

No information can be transmitted by quantum entanglement though, the laws of physics remain in tact despite the distances involved. Professor Michio Kaku's book says so, so there! :p
    EPR bridges are another thing, wormholes, but for those to work we need all sorts of engineering techniques that are way way ahead, so exotic matter to open the mouth of the wormhole so something can pass through, anchoring one to a entry/exit point, pinning the other to an asteroid, towing it away at near the speed of light before bringing it back again, you now have a time machine into the past, congratulations!
    If you leave it out there you have a nice little bridge over vast distances, congratulations again!!

Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed.....

EPR bridges are fictional, ala Sliders. Einstein Rosen bridges though are mathmatically possible, though the forces involved are indeed beyond lethal to any would be Slider :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Well I bit the bullet and eventually went for a Satellaview.
    New and sealed so it comes with everything and an extra used BS-X cartridge and Memory Pak that apparently has some good stuff still downloaded to it.

Purely a collectors item of course but I've been eyeing one up for some time now and almost went for it a few times.
    I got it for a very good price and shipping was cheap as well so I'm very happy with that

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    Well I bit the bullet and eventually went for a Satellaview.
    New and sealed so it comes with everything and an extra used BS-X cartridge and Memory Pak that apparently has some good stuff still downloaded to it.

Purely a collectors item of course but I've been eyeing one up for some time now and almost went for it a few times.
    I got it for a very good price and shipping was cheap as well so I'm very happy with that

Is there no way to psuedo feed some of the satellaview rom content to it no?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement