Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Achilles wrote: »
    Why not just get an Everdrive for SNES? http://krikzz.com/severdrive.html

As a past owner of flash carts for both the Snes & MD...I can honestly say it's just not the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

EnterNow wrote: »
    As a past owner of flash carts for both the Snes & MD...I can honestly say it's just not the same.

+1

Using real carts takes up too much space and effort! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,177 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you really loved the hobby you'd make the space and put in the effort :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    If you really loved the hobby you'd make the space and put in the effort :D

See thats where our interests diverge,
    I really do love the hobby - of gaming that is! :)

I'm just not a collector.

Yourself and EnterNow are both.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Do both, get the originals you really want and a flash cart to play everything else! :cool:

• Advertisement

Interesting perspective:

As a collector - Flash carts are obviously not the same as real carts.
    As a gamer - Flash carts still aren't the same to me as the real thing.

It's definitely a mental thing, because technically they are both 1:1 the same...I suppose the gamer in me is satisfied, but the collector isn't - it's a weird combination of both.

Master of the Universe

Same way people who like Vinyl think there's more to playing a tune than pressing play on your MP3 player.

Same with games really.

Some people just associate certain actions (be it inserting a cart or dropping a stylus onto a record) with playing a game.

If you took a scientific approach, after years of playing and loving games, your body probably releases endorphins when you take the game out of the cart, plug it in and hear that jingle. It's literally a drug to you. And a potentially expensive one at that :pac:

Same way people who like Vinyl think there's more to playing a tune than pressing play on your MP3 player.

Same with games really.

Some people just associate certain actions (be it inserting a cart or dropping a stylus onto a record) with playing a game.

If you took a scientific approach, after years of playing and loving games, your body probably releases endorphins when you take the game out of the cart, plug it in and hear that jingle. It's literally a drug to you. And a potentially expensive one at that :pac:

There's definitely a connection to enjoying retro gaming, that involves using physical media.

Trust me wavey, you'll understand after a while of using the Everdrive. Damned cool device, & I'll pick one up myself for the fan translations/unreleased stuff etc...but it's like loading up your mame cab with all 8000k+ roms...it's too much choice & ultimately for me became self defeating because I got no enjoyment out of any of it.

Now that I'm back on the wagon again & buying carts, it's so much more fun not only to collect, but to play them

There's definitely a connection to enjoying retro gaming, that involves using physical media.

Trust me wavey, you'll understand after a while of using the Everdrive. Damned cool device, & I'll pick one up myself for the fan translations/unreleased stuff etc...but it's like loading up your mame cab with all 8000k+ roms...it's too much choice & ultimately for me became self defeating because I got no enjoyment out of any of it.

Now that I'm back on the wagon again & buying carts, it's so much more fun not only to collect, but to play them

You're not getting any enjoyment from your Mame cab because there's too much of a selection? Am I reading you correctly or is my troll detector broken? :pac:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    You're not getting any enjoyment from your Mame cab because there's too much of a selection? Am I reading you correctly or is my troll detector broken? :pac:

Have you tried scrolling through endless amounts of brilliant games? It's crap man, seriously. You can never choose one. I ended up removing the whole set & just setting up a favourites list...far more enjoyable...personally to me anyway :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I find an immediately abundant choice seems to breed apathy. I don't know why that is, it just is!

List of 10 games -

'what'll I play, hmmmm....this one!'

/puts game on

List of 10,000 games -

'What'll I play.....'

/Scroll through games
    /Scroll through games
    /Scroll through games

'maybe this one?..no...not in the humour'

/Scroll through games
    /Scroll through games
    /Scroll through games

'not in the humour for this one either'

/Scroll through games
    /Scroll through games
    /Scroll through games

balls to this

/turns off machine.

Happens to me anyway. Also happens when I have **** loads of tv stations and other media. It's like you're spending your time to find that perfect thing to play and when you have loads of choice you think it has to be there. But you then eventually get bored and apathetic looking for it.

When you have a limited choice, I find the complete opposite happens. You 'settle' a lot easier.

That may not make sense to some, but it's what happens with me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Have you tried scrolling through endless amounts of brilliant games? It's crap man, seriously. You can never choose one. I ended up removing the whole set & just setting up a favourites list...far more enjoyable...personally to me anyway :)

Favourite lists and genre lists on hyperpsin to the rescue.
    I've a million games on my cab and enjoy going through them every so often but I have my favs list and top games genres and stuff like that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I remember in the early 90's playing a demo of Starfox, just before the SNES was released, at a display in the Frascati Centre (Blackrock).

They gave us each a certificate of our score, pity I don't still have that, it'd be quite the collector's item.

Played the same thing in Harry Moores in Henry st (and yeah got a cert too)
    Ironically I ended up working in the basment there a few years later (when they were in the process of closing down)

Steve SI wrote: »
    Favourite lists and genre lists

Tried it, still too much choice...all it does is sort an 8000k+ rom mess into smaller messes :D

I ended up putting about 150/200 of my fav games on the cab & havn't touched it since. It's perfect for me, & as I discover newer games via mame/pc I'll eventually add them to the cab. And game collecting is exactly the same, collect the ones you want & add from there. Handing someone a virtual complete romset via a flashcart gives no appreciation for the games, not to me anyway.

It's exactly what Dr.Bob [you'll always be Luas_Dublin here man] mentioned above, & the same with tv stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Tried it, still too much choice...all it does is sort an 8000k+ rom mess into smaller messes :D

I ended up putting about 150/200 of my fav games on the cab & havn't touched it since. It's perfect for me, & as I discover newer games via mame/pc I'll eventually add them to the cab. And game collecting is exactly the same, collect the ones you want & add from there. Handing someone a virtual complete romset via a flashcart gives no appreciation for the games, not to me anyway.

It's exactly what Dr.Bob [you'll always be Luas_Dublin here man] mentioned above, & the same with tv stations.

Gotta disagree with ya on this one.
    I've got my personal favs list on Hyperspin with about 50 or so games I'll play regularly and then of course I do enjoy an evening of MAME Roulette as well with the full list(with clones and non working filtered out of course). Sometimes you find a hidden gem that way and it may go onto the favs list for a while.

I did the exact same, created a favourites list. But you're still getting the enjoyment out of the emulation route (Mame/flash cart equivalent etc).

But you're still getting the enjoyment out of the emulation route (Mame/flash cart equivalent etc).

Maybe its the type of screen, or maybe it's because changing pcb's in a Tekken 3 cab is the same as going to the gym [not as pleasant as say changing a cart, which has nice artwork etc]...but yeah, I do get the same enjoyment out of emulating on the cab versus real pcb's.

I was fortunate enough to be able to directly compare the pcb's I owned with mame on the cab. To me, & I'd be very fussy when it comes to accuracy, they were virtually indistinguishable. I ended up selling off all my pcb's as I was happy enough to be a console collector rather than both.

So you get enjoyment from emulation on the cab but not for a console via a flash cart? Confusing.

@o1s1n: A huge selection can easily lead to apathy I agree - but that's where a little self discipline (and/or a favourites lists) comes in handy. Not that I'm immune to apathy - sometimes I find myself spending half an hour scrolling through those (dire) Netflix menus looking for something to watch only not to bother, doesn't happen as much with games since I usually have something in mind I want to play.

For me emulation and having a large selection of games to play from it isn't a bad thing. I prefer to have the choice of playing them rather than not.

So you get enjoyment from emulation on the cab but not for a console via a flash cart? Confusing.

As I explained above though, such differences are not on a technical level. Taking a game out of a box that has artwork, & handling a cart with its own artwork for me adds to the gaming experience.

Lugging a huge cab out from a wall, & crouching down half inside it to disconnect what are essentially bare electronics boards does not & did not for me add to the arcade gaming experience. I could compare like for like, & ended up being more than happy emulating.

Comparing like for like on a console though, isn't as clear cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

sometimes I find myself spending half an hour scrolling through those (dire) Netflix menus looking for something to watch only not to bother

You're not the only one. :)

That said, there is an amazing documentary about the New York Times and the growth of digital publishing on there right now. Get it watched!

Oh and the film about chess genius Bobby Fischer is on there too. Essential viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Steve SI wrote: »
    Gotta disagree with ya on this one.
    I've got my personal favs list on Hyperspin with about 50 or so games I'll play regularly and then of course I do enjoy an evening of MAME Roulette as well with the full list(with clones and non working filtered out of course). Sometimes you find a hidden gem that way and it may go onto the favs list for a while.

I agree..I have one of those 1940 in 1 boards and I love finding those hidden gems in the list.
    Stuff you totally forgot existed

Pyongyang wrote: »
    You're not the only one. :)

That said, there is an amazing documentary about the New York Times and the growth of digital publishing on there right now. Get it watched!

Oh and the film about chess genius Bobby Fischer is on there too. Essential viewing.

Yeah watched that one, was very good. Shame how he ended up.

When I did djing as a hobby (mostly bedroom djing) it was vinyl all the way.

Just loved the feel of it and also some of sleeves were pretty cool, such as this one which has the entire history of Acid House with pictures on the inner sleeves:

l.jpg

Can't find a scan of it unfortunately.

I still have all my vinyl, because frankly, I'm too lazy to sell things.

Even stuff that I wouldn't mind parting with, I've never actually sold on ebay or adverts before.

I seriously need to start selling stuff.

I'd probably hold onto a few vinyls like the one above though.

And Enter Now, not being able to hold the artwork of games / media,
    is a balls alright.

I really think we need a nice app for a tablet which simulates it very well.

Like for commodore games, have a virtual cassette case for each game, that you can open out and even take out the cassette to see the writing (scan) on it, as well as the inlay!

This is partly why I would like to buy a tablet soon, so I can reference the games and have a favourite list.

Really liking this open discussion btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I'm another one for who too much choice almost ruins the experience for me. Going on a buying spree has more or less the same effect, a trickle of new stuff is much more manageable, end up playing everything for just a half hour otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

This arrived today, ebay purchase for the hefty price of 1 dollar

IMG_20120621_204706.jpg

Love the SF2 box art, takes me back to childhood immediately :cool: And you can't beat JAP SF2...Bison is Balrog & Balrog is Bison name wise because M.Bison was deemed too close to M.Tyson who also boxed :)

Vega is Balrog in Japan and Bison is Vega and Balrog is M Bison

I even confused myself there

Vega is Balrog in Japan and Bison is Vega and Balrog is M Bison

I even confused myself there

So its:

head.jpg = Balrog

6f58dc5be9e8aafc4a208834ee85e9cf.gif?v=14336 = Vega

balrog434.png = M. Bison

Yep thats it

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yep!

M.Bison just sounded too like Mike Tyson for a Western release though...!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement