Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,177 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Happens on good tvs with RGB too! My Trinitron has about 1cm of black down the right side.

You can adjust it out with the TV's factory setting menu.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think I read somewhere that it's one of the weird quirks with RGB. So worth it though for the improved visuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

My bff John got me a belated birthday present, it's a ? Block sound cube
    2012-06-26+18.51.30.jpg
    ^ click to see it working, if you touch any side of it, it makes noise not just from the bottom and it's all random

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

That is pure awesome!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

It's not RGB but I soldered up a combo C64/c64c/c128/Megadrive/Mastersystem 1 composite cable .All those systems use ALMOST the same cable , the pins for video and audio are slightly different and swapped , but since they're all carrying mono , you end up with a c64 vid cable, a sms vid/c64 audio cable , and an sms cable.
    The video capture card I use has a ****fit with rgb so having composite is actually handy.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Finally sorted out my lack of an MVS 1 slot!

Picked up a MV1B - it looks really tiny. (more room in the machine for other things, yay!) I'd never seen this model until I saw the auction.

This isn't my exact one, but just to show what the unit looks like

vMMc8.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    Finally sorted out my lack of an MVS 1 slot!

Picked up a MV1B - it looks really tiny. (more room in the machine for other things, yay!) I'd never seen this model until I saw the auction.

This isn't my exact one, but just to show what the unit looks like

vMMc8.jpg?1

Very tidy looking that.
    Any downsides to it? I'm looking for a new MVS myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not sure about this model but a few models have mono sound and a few have a non-socketed bios making a unibios mod an awful lot tougher.

I think the best on to get are the MVS-1F boards. They seem to have been made with home use in mind. They have two controller ports built in so no messing about the supergun wiring and have stereo sound with a socketed bios. They're a bit bigger than o1s1n's one though.

The MVS-1 is another decent board but it has trouble with one or two games, the big one being Rage of the Dragons. Some of the two and four slot boards are meant to be good as well.

For reference:

http://www.hardmvs.com/html/PCBcompare.htm

The sound on the MVS boards as well can wreck some TV speakers as well, my TV is one that doesn't work with it and you end up with no sound from the TV and broken speakers if you keep it hooked up for too long. Some standard PC speakers work great with it though. I think it's something to do with how the signal is or isn't amped.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm not sure about this model but a few models have mono sound and a few have a non-socketed bios making a unibios mod an awful lot tougher.

I think the best on to get are the MVS-1F boards. They seem to have been made with home use in mind. They have two controller ports built in so no messing about the supergun wiring and have stereo sound with a socketed bios. They're a bit bigger than o1s1n's one though.

The MVS-1 is another decent board but it has trouble with one or two games, the big one being Rage of the Dragons. Some of the two and four slot boards are meant to be good as well.

For reference:

The sound on the MVS boards as well can wreck some TV speakers as well, my TV is one that doesn't work with it and you end up with no sound from the TV and broken speakers if you keep it hooked up for too long. Some standard PC speakers work great with it though. I think it's something to do with how the signal is or isn't amped.

Yeah, I've a MVS-1FZ myself and the unibios is a must so I'd be avoiding any models without a socketed bios (this MVS-1FZ has a few sound issues that I just cant track down so looking for a replacement).
    I'm not to concerned about controller ports and that sort of thing as I will never be consolizing it as I've already got a consolized MVS with RGB/SVideo and all sorts of good stuff on it.

The sound issues are more than likely leaky caps. Might be worthwhile replacing all the capacitors and giving the board a clean.

• Advertisement

The sound issues are more than likely leaky caps. Might be worthwhile replacing all the capacitors and giving the board a clean.

Not that sort of issue unfortunately. Seems more like a grounding problem but I just cant track it down as everything seems fine on the board.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Not that sort of issue unfortunately. Seems more like a grounding problem but I just cant track it down as everything seems fine on the board.

Is the volume too low in the TV, like barely audible? If so it's what I had and you'll need PC speakers.

Is the volume too low in the TV, like barely audible? If so it's what I had and you'll need PC speakers.

This is hooked up to my candy and running over standard JAMMA, not going into a tv. The problem is interference and that type of thing.

I get interference from on my MVS-1F when it's in mono but not in stereo. It seems the sound is very sensitive to the resistance of the speakers. I think the recommended is two speakers rated at 4-8 ohms. I got some PC speakers that are rated around that and I'm pretty sure that the interference when I change to mono is due to the ohm rating required changing between stereo and mono sound. In mono I'm out of the recommended ohm range and I get interference. If your speakers are too high quality it could be what's causing the problem. Or even too low quality but then it's Steve SI I'm talking to :P

I get interference from on my MVS-1F when it's in mono but not in stereo. It seems the sound is very sensitive to the resistance of the speakers. I think the recommended is two speakers rated at 4-8 ohms. I got some PC speakers that are rated around that and I'm pretty sure that the interference when I change to mono is due to the ohm rating required changing between stereo and mono sound. In mono I'm out of the recommended ohm range and I get interference. If your speakers are too high quality it could be what's causing the problem. Or even too low quality but then it's Steve SI I'm talking to :P

The speakers in the candy cab are official Egret 2 ones(I've an Egret 3 so close enough) that I got from a guy on AO as the ones that came with it were absolutely ridiculously cheap crap (like 4 euro brand new crap).
    Was a bit pissed off with the seller for that as he said he installed "brand new high quality speakers" in the cab before shipping and charged me for it as well.

Anyway, its all good now as the speakers in it are really great arcade quality ones and I've also got a nice 2.1 PC speaker setup in there as well for the Hyperspin PC and Games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I have the MVS1B. Great little unit. I bought the Unibios for it from the official site and installed it myself. Its easy enough to do, just mind the pins.

I had the MVS1FZ too but Anpost destroyed the board so I got compensation for it. Personally I prefer the 1B anyway, its more compact, better suited to my cab, and stop has a socketed BIOS.

Master of the Universe

So the MVS1B has a socketed bios? Great stuff, I thought it didn't. Will definitely be putting one into that. This'll be the forth Neo Geo unit I'll have had including the AES and I've never actually put a Multibios in any of them :eek:

Silly really as if they're socketed it's simple to do.

Oh wait, I don't have the 1B, that one is soldered. I have the 1A. I used to have the 1FZ, that was the one that was broken by An Post.

Here's a great website that will help you out. :)

Master of the Universe

Yeah that's what I'd been looking at - I thought the list might have been wrong if you were saying your one was socketed :D

Not to worry, I've never needed a multi bios before so shouldn't need one now. The unit being small is much more of a priority.

Not to worry, I've never needed a multi bios before so shouldn't need one now.

It's not a life-changing experience if you don't have a UniBIOS... actually no, it is. I love changing the games from MVS to AES and checking out differences when you change the regions. Not to mention the built in cheats, etc etc etc.

Get one soldered in o1s1n, it's well worth the investment.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I can play my MVS games in AES format on my AES via the MVS adapter thingy, so that's not too much of an issue.

The one thing bothers me regarding regions is censorship. But this MVS1B is coming from Asia so it should be Japanese and uncensored.

Cheats I never used.

Hmm, probably not really a necessity for me so. Might have it done for the hell of it sometime down the line.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yeah that's what I'd been looking at - I thought the list might have been wrong if you were saying your one was socketed :D

Not to worry, I've never needed a multi bios before so shouldn't need one now. The unit being small is much more of a priority.

Same here, couldn't be arsed mucking about with it since it plays the carts I have fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The default default mono output on these boards is amplified and way to high for the line level input on a TV. Best case is you'll get distortion due to clipping, worse case smoke unless you turn down the volume on the board first.
    If the audio interference changes in frequency in relation to what's on screen there's probably a bad filter cap or a ground loop after being setup.

Impedance matching is pretty important, I think the MVS output impedance is 4Ohm so wiring a pair of 4Ohm speakers in parallel is not a good idea.

I think someone has developed an 'adaptor' to fit a unibois onto solder bios boards as well - not ideal but a reasonable option.

I've about half way thru consolising my MVS now taking much longer that I'd planned, fibreglass is a pain to work with..

I can play my MVS games in AES format on my AES via the MVS adapter thingy, so that's not too much of an issue.

No huge urgency then. Save the money and buy Metal Slug X on AES. :D

Master of the Universe

The day I start collecting AES games is the day I want to be put down for being insane! :pac:

The day I start collecting AES games is the day I want to be put down for being insane! :pac:

homer-crazy.gif
    o1s1n this morning source: RTE News

I think they cut out Mai's bouncing boobs if you play some games in Japanese. Can you really live without that o1s1n? It's a dealbreaker for me.

Master of the Universe

No it's the US versions which are censored. Sure why would the Japanese censor bouncing lady bits? They love that stuff :D

I was playing KOF 95 in Japanese over the weekend and can 100% confirm that her lady actions were all intact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ah those Americans, better censor bouncing boobs....but lets keep guns n sh1t in games.

1158526905redneck.jpg

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

It's a bit backwards isn't it?

Fatalities? Yes please!

Boobs? WTF? No! Think of the children!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement