Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Lol Enternow - that aul geezer looks like the sort of person who might frequent an arthouse cinema (also looks like Randy Quaid). :P

Nice get on the 1 slot o1s1n. Excluding the Metal slug games, what would be your other favourite MVS games that you own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Randy

Apt name. Fnarr fnarr! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,177 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Lol Enternow - that aul geezer looks like the sort of person who might frequent an arthouse cinema (also looks like Randy Quaid). :P

Nice get on the 1 slot o1s1n. Excluding the Metal slug games, what would be your other favourite MVS games that you own?

Hmmm, interesting question. Out of the ones I have, excluding Metal Slug carts, the ones I would play the most are the following -

Blazing Star
    Alpha Mission 2
    Viewpoint
    Aero Fighters 2
    Shock Troopers
    The Last Blade
    Puzzle Bobble
    Magical Drop 2
    Garaou: Mark of the Wolves
    Sengoku 3

Including the Metal Slug games, that's 16 carts. Must have another 20 at this stage. Can't really remember what they are, so I mustn't play them that much at all!

Ideally I'd love to get a book shelf and fill it with MVS carts in those neo mini boxes.

I really must give Blazing Star more time. I always switch it off after the first level, no idea why as any time I go near MVS it's always the first game I try. Does it get more difficult in later levels (I'm probably playing on Normal) and how many levels are there actually? Which ship is best do you think?

Master of the Universe

I always play it with the red ship. I just rather how the projectile looks to be honest, have no idea if the other ships are better or worse!

It starts off easy enough but does get more difficult. It's one of those games you'll think you have a chance of 1ccing until you credit feed it and see some of the later stages. It's a long one too.

Some of the visuals are really lovely. Have you even stuck out stage 2 just to see the scrolling background? Some sense of depth to it

edit - one other thing I love about this game, every time you die without staying alive very long, it hurls insults at you :D

• Advertisement

Yeah I've played Stage 2 the odd time up to the boss, I should've said I mostly turn it off after the first level, not everytime. Gorgeous game and sounds excellent too, might be the hori nature of it (without wanting to start a hori Vs vert debate again). Ah I'll just give it more time I reckon.

Master of the Universe

I tend to get that way too with horizontal games. Verticals stay on a lot longer.

Best thing I think to do is just to stick to 1 credit with them. Chuck in a credit, try to last as long as you can, then turn it off.

If you're still on the 1 credit by the time you get to the end of stage 1 or 2 I doubt you'd want to turn it off anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

Dr Bob wrote: »
    It's not RGB but I soldered up a combo C64/c64c/c128/Megadrive/Mastersystem 1 composite cable .All those systems use ALMOST the same cable , the pins for video and audio are slightly different and swapped , but since they're all carrying mono , you end up with a c64 vid cable, a sms vid/c64 audio cable , and an sms cable.
    The video capture card I use has a ****fit with rgb so having composite is actually handy.

Before I got the RGB cable for the Mega Drive, I too was using my c64 composite cable with the rca plugs switched around. :)

Tis like 2 cables in one!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

waveform wrote: »
    Before I got the RGB cable for the Mega Drive, I too was using my c64 composite cable with the rca plugs switched around. :)

Tis like 2 cables in one!
    just discovered it also works with the atari 800xl , so make that 3 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

Bought one of these to use with my Raspberry Pi.
    Works great, saves me a USB slot also and saved me buying another keyboard and mouse.

Postage on keyboards is as crazy as spare jar of lubed up duct tape.

210569.png

Doesn't work with my Mac though. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So that Sega Saturn I got there a while ago was in bits... would only boot games the odd time kept freezing on bootup etc.

So I bit the bullet yesterday and stripped it completely down to give her a good clean and... holy jesus when you see the pictures you'll understand why it wasn't working properly:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4329644002088.178550.1316860093&type=3

That album is public so you guys should have no problems accessing it.

Gave the case a good wash down with warm soapy water... blasted EVERYTHING with compressed air because it was caked in dust... bits of foliage (I'm not kidding) and rust.

Here's a tip btw if you wanna shine old black plastic on consoles give it a good rub down with WD40... the last pic of the Saturn assembled is just after it was rubbed down with WD40 as it was drying.

It looks brand new now.

Achilles wrote: »
    So that Sega Saturn I got there a while ago was in bits... would only boot games the odd time kept freezing on bootup etc.

So I bit the bullet yesterday and stripped it completely down to give her a good clean and... holy jesus when you see the pictures you'll understand why it wasn't working properly:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4329644002088.178550.1316860093&type=3

Gave the case a good wash down with warm soapy water... blasted EVERYTHING with compressed air because it was caked in dust... bits of foliage (I'm not kidding) and rust.

Here's a tip btw if you wanna shine old black plastic on consoles give it a good rub down with WD40... the last pic of the Saturn assembled is just after it was rubbed down with WD40 as it was drying.

It looks brand new now.

Album unavailable :/ I'm not signed in though, I'll try on the other computer later.

Yeah, I'm buying iso alcohol wipes to clean out my overheating laptop before it has a heat death. Cheaper than the bottle of stuff and no postage restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Also, sticking links to facebook galleries on forums is sort of a no no isnt it?

Steve SI wrote: »
    Also, sticking links to facebook galleries on forums is sort of a no no isnt it?

Why would that be a no no? Yeah I think you have to be signed in to view it...

Anyway here's the same album on imgur:
    http://imgur.com/a/vQDFH#0

Why would that be a no no? Yeah I think you have to be signed in to view it...

Anyway here's the same album on imgur:
    http://imgur.com/a/vQDFH#0

Nobody should ever have to sign in/up to anything to view pictures/albums shared on an open forum.
    It's just sort of forum Etiquette, not a big deal really and I'm sure most people don't care.

I wont even start on the fact its Facebook :pac:

It looks brand new now.

It bloody does, excellent job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

yeah nice job on the saturn, I always feel good after I clean up a console, like giving an neglected child some sweets and a bottle of pop

Master of the Universe

Just be careful with WD40 and any rubber parts that might be in a console/controller/whatever. Okay probably none in a console, but button pads can be rubber.

Back in my airsoft days, we wouldn't put WD40 anywhere near our expensive guns to clean them up as if it hit a rubber part it would disintegrate it.

We used silicone oil instead. Must see what it does to a console.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Just be careful with WD40 and any rubber parts that might be in a console/controller/whatever. Okay probably none in a console, but button pads can be rubber.

Back in my airsoft days, we wouldn't put WD40 anywhere near our expensive guns to clean them up as if it hit a rubber part it would disintegrate it.

We used silicone oil instead. Must see what it does to a console.

Cheers for the tip... I only wipe down plastics with it though...

Although I did coat the metal motherboard covers with WD40 to protect them against rusting any further... waited until it had fully dried in though before putting it all back together.

I have to say though the console runs like a dream now no more slowdowns or freezing / crashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

This came in the door today. :)

dlcT1.jpg

SA6X4.jpg

After Richard H. finally got the cases from his supplier, he was waiting a few months.

When I asked him for a black case if possible, he said there's no more transparent cases.
    I think he meant he won't be able to get them anymore also.

Even though I love transparent cases like the ones for the raspberry pi,
    I personally prefer the black Vectrex carts as they blend in better with colour of the Vectrex itself.

• Advertisement

waveform wrote: »
    Even though I love transparent cases like the ones for the raspberry pi,
    I personally prefer the black Vectrex carts as they blend in better with colour of the Vectrex itself.

Agree completely. Unless there's something crazy happening with the PCB's design I don't really want a transparent case to see it; not if an opaque case framing a nicely printed label if an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Three lovely N64 games coming towards me through the medium of postmen hands over the next week or so.
    Also 'borrowed' my brother's mario kart 7, but it's kinda crap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm currently in possession of one of the most sought after SNES games, Terranigma. Unfortunately it's a present for a friend but I want to keep it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭RNB

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm currently in possession of one of the most sought after SNES games, Terranigma. Unfortunately it's a present for a friend but I want to keep it :(

I think I have a copy of that lying around here somewhere. How much would one of those go for?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RNB wrote: »
    I think I have a copy of that lying around here somewhere. How much would one of those go for?

I got mine for 70 in an auction, cart only, after one of my best snipes ever. It can usually go for 70-90 in auctions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭RNB

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I got mine for 70 in an auction, cart only, after one of my best snipes ever. It can usually go for 70-90 in auctions.

Cool - cheers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

RNB wrote: »

Is it boxed?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

th_IMG_20120629_154811-1.jpg
    charity shop ps2 stuff.I'd been looking for "Agent..." as ..cough...witha little messing around and some tinkering you can persuade the PS2 to do things it wouldn't normally...;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Got these today, decided to "Do up" that arcade cab i got to look like street fighter champion edition. working on the artwork stuff at the minute but got new buttons and chrome tmolding today.

IMG_2073.jpg

Also had to get the champions edition to go in it too

IMG_2074.jpg

Now, i dunno if its working or not because i cant see it because the screen is not working haha

It comes on make some mad noises until i press a couple of buttons then its like its almost in a test match, i dont pick characters it goes straight to a round and im hitting punch kick etc. does anyone know do you have to do something with SF2 CE to get the proper game to load, or is it just broken?

Also, stupid question 2, how do you lower the volume on one of these things? its really, really loud!

• Advertisement

keithgeo wrote: »

Now, i dunno if its working or not because i cant see it because the screen is not working haha

It comes on make some mad noises until i press a couple of buttons then its like its almost in a test match, i dont pick characters it goes straight to a round and im hitting punch kick etc. does anyone know do you have to do something with SF2 CE to get the proper game to load, or is it just broken?

Also, stupid question 2, how do you lower the volume on one of these things? its really, really loud!

Wait, you have another arcade machine so why not drop the board in there and see if it works?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement