Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Steve SI wrote: »
    Grabbed the below earlier tonight on eBay JP. All in very good or mint condition.
    Total for everything was 80 Euro and I'm still chatting to the seller about postage from Japan but it should come to about 35 Euro.

Some stinkers in there and some decent stuff as well to add to the collection as I'm really getting into the Saturn collecting these days.

any specific reason why everyone here plays the Japanese versions of consoles?
    is it something to do with the cost of the games, or something else I'm missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

is it something to do with the cost of the games, or something else I'm missing?

I asked the very same question. Its a combination of things, for one, like their US counterparts, they all run in 60Hz so you get full speed & full screen. Secondly, the artwork is usually the best of the three regions. Thirdly, also like the US, it generally appears to be cheaper to buy NTSC stuff. Fourthly, often enough there are things cut & missing from games which tends to remain in tact in the JP versions. Sixthly, because its such an oddity on this side of the world, JP stuff is just cooler to have & collect.

Thats as much as I can gather out of it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

What happened to Fifthly?

Pyongyang wrote: »

It's the one thing I don't yet understand :p:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find japanese postage much more reasonable than items from US and Europe. European sellers are ridiculously bad for hiking up postage prices and US sellers are pretty terrible for it as well although there's a few out there that are reasonable like Lukie games.

However I wouldn't buy a game that I couldn't play because of the language barrier. And saying that I have two Shin Megami Tensei games that I can't play in japanese but **** it they were dirt cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,177 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You're spot on regarding postage from Japan. Sometimes I can't believe how cheap it is when compared to EU postage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

Pyongyang wrote: »

Because Jasper didn't want to come by himself!

JjGFQ.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I always find postage from the continent an absolute joke. Don't the german and french know there's a recession no here!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I always find postage from the continent an absolute joke. Don't the german and french know there's a recession no here!

The Germans? I highly doubt it :D

Btw,

During the war.......

0.jpg

The artillery team would omit the Five during a countdown as it sounded too much like Fire.

• Advertisement

How the hell did we end up talking about the Germans and WWII?

Didn't John Cleese teach us anything? :D

article-2006584-0C64C01B00000578-894_634x569.jpg

The Germans, tried to conquer Europe twice & failed. Tried a third time & succeeded without firing a shot ;)

EnterNow wrote: »
    The Germans, tried to conquer Europe twice & failed. Tried a third time & succeeded without firing a shot ;)

The Third Reich never really died....

It merely changed its name to Lidl and Aldi and succeeded in a mass invasion of europe!

waveform wrote: »
    The Third Reich never really died....

It merely changed its name to Lidl and Aldi the Euro and succeeded in a mass invasion of europe!

Fyp

Master of the Universe

The Third Reich was bad enough, but they really outdid themselves with their videogame censorship. Barbaric so it was :(

Forgot to mention that I got a nifty DC adapter also from Console Goods,
    that inverts the polarity, so I can use the Mega Drive 1 PSU on a Mega Drive 2 if i ever had to.

http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/megadrive/megadrive.htm

psu_ads.jpg

Or use another PSU that doesn't have the correct polarity.

Tis the one on the bottom, he was out of the top one which converts a MD 2 PSU to MD1.

Master of the Universe

That's a really handy little adapter! I didn't know they existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Godwin's Law strikes again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

As others have said they all run in 60hz and are usually a lot cheaper to buy and of course the postage is peanuts. A massive part for me is the collectability and the amazing artwork on them. The artwork sometimes is enough to warrant a purchase for me :)
    Sure, there is a language barrier but for me personally this isnt such an issue any more.

You usually get a load of nice extras in them and the manuals are a lot more detailed. In the SMT games I bought I got some SMT trading card game cards, never knew a card game existed until I got the game.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Plus the games are as originally intended - fully uncensored with religious references, boobies, pentagrams and more boobies.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Plus the games are as originally intended - fully uncensored with religious references, boobies, pentagrams and more boobies.

Yes, it's best to play things as they were intended.

waveform wrote: »

psu_ads.jpg

Tis the one on the bottom, he was out of the top one which converts a MD 2 PSU to MD1.

Sorry I got this wrong earlier.

Its the yellow one on top wich can be used to power a Mega Drive 2, from a MD1 PSU.

And hes out of stock on the bottom one which does the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Just got in from new job... This was waiting for me. Now to get my hands on Sonic 2 / 3 for the full lock on experience

Not to mention convince my gf to get her Mega Drive out of her parent's attic.

The cart is in perfect nick and the box artwork is all for the US version but the seller assured me that it's a pal copy.

I remember that happening to my copy if Sonic 2 and Beavis and Butthead years ago too... USA stickers bit PAL cart... Was that a common mistake?

411779_4355042517035_830597333_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Look at what Retr0 brought me home!88.gif
    I got something else too but I'm only showing it off IRL.
    425428_4223315942653_942776809_n.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just ordered this little beauty from Club Nintendo!
    gamgameandwatchball530.jpg
    Thanks to those souls who gave me the push over the line, it was much appreciated!
    Especially to a certain CatEgory mod, you're a star!

Just grabbed these few bits online a few mins ago.
    Can anyone tell what makes these a bit different?

il570xn316409483.jpg

il570xn318502122.jpg

il570xn275642189.jpg

il570xn295036259.jpg

Master of the Universe

They're all American?!

Nice one on Earthbound. The price that goes for these days is just downright insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

They all have plastic cases.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    They're all American?!

Nice one on Earthbound. The price that goes for these days is just downright insane.

Hmm, there's something else different.
    Earthbound cost me 10 euro.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement