Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PAL N64 console being so utter awful would be my reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What's the difference I wonder

60Hz, simple as that. The N64, for all its many faults, really does benefit form the additional speed & screen area. For something like the Megadrive I wouldn't bother, & the only reason I done it with the Snes is because of the savings when collecting NTSC over PAL...but the N64 doesn't have a region mod per se, so you really have to choose one or the other...I chose NTSC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,177 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is it possible to buy an NTSC N64 and play PAL games on it in 60hz with an import adapter?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Is it possible to buy an NTSC N64 and play PAL games on it in 60hz with an import adapter?

Not sure really, I've never found those import adapters very consistent either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Anyone here following the N64 HDMI mod? It looks very interesting indeed.
    Even the PCB looks sexy :0)

http://retroactive.be/tech_n64_hdmi.php

tech_n64_hdmi_0.jpg

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    Anyone here following the N64 HDMI mod? It looks very interesting indeed.
    Even the PCB looks sexy :0)

I think while it's very impressive form a technical standpoint, it's just the wrong direction to go in for the N64 for me. I know this in conjunction with a scaler & scanline generator it would look good on a flat panel screen alright, but I think the sweet spot for N64 gaming lies without a doubt on a medium crt & svideo (or RGB if available). Early 3d graphics & big tv's equal not nice things, & I'd worry at HD resolutions that the N64, despite help from scalers & scanlines, just wouldn't cut the mustard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yes it works for some games but the vast majority have timing issues or just plain glitch out. Most of the big releases were somewhat PAL optimised although not very well and therefore cause all sorts of problems.

I see there's RGB mods now for the NES. Must look into getting one although on the flip side most of the sunsoft games were made with composite in mind and actually look worse in a higher image quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Myrddin wrote: »
    60Hz, simple as that. The N64, for all its many faults, really does benefit form the additional speed & screen area. For something like the Megadrive I wouldn't bother, & the only reason I done it with the Snes is because of the savings when collecting NTSC over PAL...but the N64 doesn't have a region mod per se, so you really have to choose one or the other...I chose NTSC

No, you misunderstand.
    I know all the advantages of an NTSC N64, the speed and so on.

What I was wondering is, why am I so comfortable with seeing the back of most of my N64 carts, with the exception of a few, to be replaced with an Everdrive, whilst I wouldn't see any of my Megadrive games sold at all, in spite of being able to play them on the Everdrive MD I already own.
    I don't know why my heart is with the MD but not the N64 in quite the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The NESRGB board is sold out, I'm waiting on new ones to come in as well.

Just need to pick up a US NES in the meantime and another everdrive for it - probably going to permanently fit the ED to the motherboard and be done with it. Still have my old PAL one if I ever get the urge to blow on some carts again.

• Advertisement

No, you misunderstand.
    I know all the advantages of an NTSC N64, the speed and so on.

What I was wondering is, why am I so comfortable with seeing the back of most of my N64 carts, with the exception of a few, to be replaced with an Everdrive, whilst I wouldn't see any of my Megadrive games sold at all, in spite of being able to play them on the Everdrive MD I already own.
    I don't know why my heart is with the MD but not the N64 in quite the same way.

Sure only you can answer that :) There's a lot less on the N64 to endear it to people than the Megadrive has, that's for sure.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yes it works for some games but the vast majority have timing issues or just plain glitch out. Most of the big releases were somewhat PAL optimised although not very well and therefore cause all sorts of problems.

****e, had a feeling that might be the way. Like the Snes timing issue problem but even worse.
    I see there's RGB mods now for the NES. Must look into getting one although on the flip side most of the sunsoft games were made with composite in mind and actually look worse in a higher image quality.

Isn't that the one that actually emulates part of the NES?

I'd love RGB out on a NES/Famicom but don't want any dirty emulation near my consoles :D

I think it replaces the whole ppu unit with another. The PPU just turns the signal from the main processors into a composite video signal. The entire PPU is replaced with a processor that out puts in RGB but the game logic isn't touched.

Master of the Universe

That's what it was alright, it bypasses the PPU (and gives you some options of different palettes)

Here's a really interesting mod, a guy actually converted the composite signal from a Famicom into an RGB one.

Explanation;

Would it be possible to read the voltages of the composite video output, to determine the palette numbers of each pixel (only 8 of 12 cycles are output, although it seems unambiguous enough to decode completely), to convert to the 6-bit palette numbers (except for $20 $30 $Ex $Fx)? And then you have the RGB palette file, which can be use to display it on a RGB display.

It will be possible to do it other way around too, if you have the palette without duplicate entries, to convert RGB to 6-bit palettes and then output NTSC Famicom signal.

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9561

There are a few tasks the PPU takes care off so there is an element of emulation alright.

Maybe I'll just fork out a few grand for a famicom titler instead :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The PPU isn't completely bypassed, its still used for some of the work and the original video signal is still available.

http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/

Got my 9" Sony PVM tonight. All seemed well until I had a good look at it and noticed the front bezel is cracked and the back metal corners crushed in a bit.
    Rang the seller and he said its mine now and that's just that! No refund or part refund or apology or anything.

Not a great feeling I must say :(
    No cables to test it out yet but I'd say it works, just not as advertised.

Master of the Universe

I had a look at the ad on adverts and you can actually see the crushed corner on the back right.

Can't see anything wrong with the bezel though. Where's the crack?

I had a look at the ad on adverts and you can actually see the crushed corner on the back right.

Can't see anything wrong with the bezel though. Where's the crack?

The crack is where it says trinitron. Yeah its my own fault to a certain extent which is why I'm angry about it. But the guy was such an douchebag about it.

msulr.jpg

Another case of adverts.ie buyer protection?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Not a chance you'd see that crack in the ad photo!

'Case has been on it from new and so protected the monitor...In good condition, full working order, I have had it some time, part of my personal kit, so not overly used or abused!'

To be honest I'd have bought that without noticing the crushed corner too. Actually I'd looked at that ad previously and not noticed it at all. From what he said you'd be expecting something with maybe a couple of scuffs and that's it. Especially from the bit about it being in the case from new.

Anyway, fingers crossed it powers on without issue and you've a lovely little monitor to add to the collection :)

It powers on ok. I just don't have any cables for it yet.
    I'd says its fine but just bit as advertised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

Todays get is my own lickle minature bartop, the iCade core:

f0LA8BT.png

Xfiicpz.png

cp4sE7A.png

RequsVE.png

Was going to take a closeup pic of dem scanlines but my camera decided to die just as i was about to do it!

Its the closest thing i'll have to a bartop until i have place or my own. Managed to get a complete mame 0.139u1 Romset today 23GBs in size which is the version of mame, mame4iOS uses. A whole world of difference between mame4all's 0.37 version. I dumped all the rom chips myself from my complete arcade cabinet collection of course! ;)

Finally heres the mystery gift the seller sent me to compensate for me realising i could have bought it new for the same price on amazon:

wf7UDzD.png

Nice gesture i thought! :)

Absolutely love the iCade, spent the whole evening blasting away at those addictive arcade titles!

Well, cracks and bumps aside the screen works well(I'll fix up the bumps and cracked plastic anyway). I thought i didn't have any cables but it has SVideo on the back so I hooked up my N64 for a test run. Even over svideo it looks pretty good, cant wait to try the proper cables for some scart RGB goodness.

Incidentally, the sound output is not bad at all on the PVM.

smfr.jpgb000.jpg

Click for full size version(iPhone pic only so not great):
    nfj6.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Now I have to get one of those,
    Thanks a bunch Steve!

God damn, the geometry on that screen is glorious.

Alert, Alert!
    Retr0 wood due to screenshot of an N64 game imminent!
    Alert, Alert!!

Now I have to get one of those,
    Thanks a bunch Steve!

No probs :)
    Doesn't take up much space.

kn2uc.jpg

It actually looks a bit funky in the iPhone pics, but is better in person. I miss my DSLR camera :(
    New DSLR incoming in the next month or so, my old one got robbed while in Morocco.

Edit:
    Whats the deal with N64 svideo cables? I've had this one for years and the quality seems decent. But I thought there was some issue with svideo from the PAL N64!!??

Edit 2:
    By the way, the monitor is much lighter than you might think. I guess with two batteries installed it would weigh a bit but as is its easy to pick up and bring around the house(wouldn't be great on the dart though :))

• Advertisement

What sort of batteries, camcorder style ones?
    Are they easy to pick up?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement