Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    This just checked in to Parcel Motel. Has to be the PVM?

No text about an oversized package (hurr hurrr!) maybe it'll fit in one of the larger storage thingies?

ParcelMotel_zps1c508238.jpg

If that's a 9" it'll fit in just fine.
    I've a 20" coming in a week or so and i'm pretty sure it wont fit in and I'll be getting an oversized package warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Ohhhh a €50 Wii sounds delicious. Where is this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm happy.
    Called into the temple of temptation, aka Tesco, and bought another Mario Party 9 and Cooking Mama 4, costing a total of €8 and popped it off Mario Kart 8, I think I have it paid off now and it will have cost me all of €19.
    Not bad, and the only cost was, well, no cost at all, just a spot of prudent shopping.
    And I know the money saved is not much in the greater scheme of things, but, feck it! It's Mario Kart 8 for €19!
    I may turn up early and try to snag a Blue Shell edition, in case there's one extra behind the counter for people who can beg and please really well.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Danonino. wrote: »
    Ohhhh a €50 Wii sounds delicious. Where is this?

Clare Hall. Not sure which version it was... didn't they yank features off the later models?

DinoRex wrote: »
    Clare Hall. Not sure which version it was... didn't they yank features off the later models?

Yeah GameCube support was removed. Clare Hall is way too far. I'll keep my eyes out. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not just GC support. RGB and component support was taken out so you are left with composite. Also you can't connect to the net so can't get access to Virtual Console and WiiWare. Well that's on the mini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and say it, and I've been guilty of it too, can we lay of the gif-fest we are having in these parts.
    Thanks

I literally think that is the first gif I've posted, are gifs not allowed? Did I miss something? Sorry if i did

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I literally think that is the first gif I've posted, are gifs not allowed? Did I miss something? Sorry if i did

You and STG are the GifMasters lol [insert gif here]!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

You and STG are the GifMasters lol [insert gif here]!

Gifmasters of the Universe? I'll be She Ra.

Seriously though, have I been posting too many gifs?

STG can be Orko, dont know meself, not down with the gif crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not just GC support. RGB and component support was taken out so you are left with composite. Also you can't connect to the net so can't get access to Virtual Console and WiiWare. Well that's on the mini.

They had a revision between the original and the mini, that removed the GC ports and support. I believe this version could still do component, and it definitely had WiFi.

They had a revision between the original and the mini, that removed the GC ports and support. I believe this version could still do component, and it definitely had WiFi.

Had no idea the mini done away with the component and RGB output. That's mental. Would love a GC compatible backup incase/when mine decides to die.
    Tesco and their €5 3000 points cards has bolstered my vc collection quite a bit :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

OwaynOTT wrote: »

No, no one in particular.
    Gifs are allowed but in moderation I guess

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No, no one in particular.
    Gifs are allowed but in moderation I guess

Not our fault your phone is crap :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not our fault your phone is crap :P

"Phone, ban Retr0gamer"

Screen-Shot-2013-04-03-at-3.04.44-PM.png

Hmm, Is it appropriate to ban two mods at once?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Hmm, Is it appropriate to ban two mods at once?

Only if you do so with an appropriate GIF...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Only if you do so with an appropriate GIF...

Press button for Spock!

KPPcgOY.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,169 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well this is the most interaction I've ever had with Parcel Motel in one go;

Posted off a CPS2 board (first time I've tried the send option, it's incredibly handy and will be doing it again)
    Went next door to the chipper, battered sausage and chips
    Over across to the off license for a few beers
    Back to Parcel motel for two packages
    First Shenmue 2 pops out
    Then the PVM - of course it had to be in one of the big boxes up the top :eek:

Cue a 15 minute walk home, with a backpack full of spoils and a PVM under my arm :D

The 9 inch monitors really aren't heavy, but your arms do start to tingle around the 15 minute mark while walking!

That's my Friday evening sorted. Just letting the PVM settle in it's new home before powering it on. The screen is about the size I was expecting, but the remaining footprint is absolutely tiny.

Will post some (non blurry) pics once I power it up. That's if it does power up!

Edit: and meant to say, PVM was only €3.50 to ship over with PM. No additional costs :)

spoils_zpsbc615a46.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Well this is the most interaction I've ever had with Parcel Motel in one go;

Posted off a CPS2 board (first time I've tried the send option, it's incredibly handy and will be doing it again)
    Went next door to the chipper, battered sausage and chips
    Over across to the off license for a few beers
    Back to Parcel motel for two packages
    First Shenmue 2 pops out
    Then the PVM - of course it had to be in one of the big boxes up the top :eek:

Cue a 15 minute walk home, with a backpack full of spoils and a PVM under my arm :D

The 9 inch monitors really aren't heavy, but your arms do start to tingle around the 15 minute mark while walking!

That's my Friday evening sorted. Just letting the PVM settle in it's new home before powering it on. The screen is about the size I was expecting, but the remaining footprint is absolutely tiny.

Will post some (non blurry) pics once I power it up. That's if it does power up!

Edit: and meant to say, PVM was only €3.50 to ship over with PM. No additional costs :)

spoils_zpsbc615a46.jpg

Looks like the makings of a good Friday night in :-)

• Advertisement

These 9" PVMs, are people just getting them to play around with, or are people going to actually retro game on them? The GF won't let me get a CRT, so something I can easily throw in a cubbyhole when not in use would be great.

Master of the Universe

Fired it up and my jaysus, not only does it work but it's one of the nicest CRT pictures I've ever seen. :eek: -I'm actually in awe. I expected as much from the 20 inch one but not this little thing. It's super super sharp.

Really regretting not picking up a second one that was going for £25 seeing as they fit in Parcel Motel.

The Famicom is hooked up via composite - but because the picture is small you don't really see the composite defects, it might as well be RGB. Any rainbow banding or blurryness in my photos is down to my photo taking.

The monitor does RGB in so there's that option too anyway.

I'll also add, the sound out of it is excellent! It's mono RCA in but sounds brilliant.

As to whether this will do in a setup, well.. it'll compliment one nicely. If you weren't allowed (!) to have a CRT at all then you'd definitely get away with this as it's tiny - but still very playable (as long as you're not sitting off on a couch at the other side of the room of course)

Makes for good gaming on the floor :D

If you're stuck for space and couldn't manage a 20 inch PVM then I reckon the 14 inch ones would be a great middle ground. They're also pretty small.

Megaman1_zps90e9f651.jpg

Megaman2_zpsc8e587cc.jpg

megaman3_zps13711405.jpg

Megaman4_zps03c522e5.jpg

Fired it up and my jaysus, not only does it work but it's one of the nicest CRT pictures I've ever seen. :eek: -I'm actually in awe. I expected as much from the 20 inch one but not this little thing. It's super super sharp.

Really regretting not picking up a second one that was going for £25 seeing as they fit in Parcel Motel.

The Famicom is hooked up via composite - but because the picture is small you don't really see the composite defects, it might as well be RGB. Any rainbow banding or blurryness in my photos is down to my photo taking.

The monitor does RGB in so there's that option too anyway.

I'll also add, the sound out of it is excellent! It's mono RCA in but sounds brilliant.

As to whether this will do in a setup, well.. it'll compliment one nicely. If you weren't allowed (!) to have a CRT at all then you'd definitely get away with this as it's tiny - but still very playable (as long as you're not sitting off on a couch at the other side of the room of course)

Makes for good gaming on the floor :D

If you're stuck for space and couldn't manage a 20 inch PVM then I reckon the 14 inch ones would be a great middle ground. They're also pretty small.

Megaman1_zps90e9f651.jpg

Megaman2_zpsc8e587cc.jpg

megaman3_zps13711405.jpg

Megaman4_zps03c522e5.jpg

Wait til you see RGB on it :)

I picked up one here, works out around 50 in total via parcel motel, still got 8 of em left

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261486240121?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Make an excellent monitor for bench testing or repair boards & consoles, save on the bench space !!

Make an excellent monitor for bench testing or repair boards & consoles, save on the bench space !!

Exactly, and as o1s1n said, there's not much weight in them.
    Just wish the battery packs weren't so damn pricey.

Master of the Universe

It's a damn shame alright, you think there'd be a Chinese seller doing knock offs for nothing.

If you ever heard of an arcade find somewhere and wanted to get a test rig together on site, one of these along with a 'Last Bandit' supergun would be ideal.

What does the PVM actually weigh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Could probably build a supergun into the battery compartment :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

It'd say under 10Kg. Probably 7-8Kg? Very light indeed.

Here's a very blurry (my SLR has vanished in the last two hours :confused:) size comparison photo, but you get the idea.

20, 14 and 9 inch. Would have powered the 14 inch on too but thought the load (along with a console) might be a bit much in a box room.

2014-05-23213304_zps18d762d1.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement