Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,164 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Here's the prototype I picked up by the way.

Capture-5.jpg

I just noticed there's an incorrect use of the apostrophe on the word 'ROMS'. Dont know if I can deal with that. It'll have to be sold on :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Of course, relativity, quantum mechanics, it's pixies you know, deep down, little frakkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

EnterNow wrote: »
    Here ya go Cidey/Ghostey, I thought it was very interesting reading - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056602867

Some nice explanations in there. When I clicked on the link I instantly forgot I'd left the A&R forum and was wondering at what point Cidey was gonna lose it and start yelling at everyone to get back on topic...:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

When worrying about being off topic, consider for one moment that, perhaps, there is no topic.... only rolos...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    When worrying about being off topic, consider for one moment that, perhaps, there is no topic.... only rolos...

I prefer to ponder if there's a spoon or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

Actually the Saturn game is an entirely different conversion from the PS2 game. The latter was released in Japan as part of a budget series and in the west a selection of these formed the Seha Classics compilation.
    So yes, there was one game on the PS2 but released in two different manners in the east and west.

Not sure how I got mixed up last night!
    I remember seeing a review of VR Deluxe with the added stock cars but haven't played it yet.
    @waveform - some of the sockets are empty in o1s1ns pcb because Capcom used a standard cps board for all the cps1 games. Certain games require more eeproms, certain ones require less...but the board can accommodate any cps1 game

Thanks for the explanation, had a look of the list of games there....

kind of mad to think how Ghouls & Ghosts and the Street Fighter 2 games ran on the exact same hardware!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Hyper 64 arrived today, really surprised by how big it is. Board is new in box with 2 games, used but in good condition.

Trying to get a bit more info on these, mine is the 'fighting' board but don't know what differs from the other board types. Is it in hardware changes in the mainboard ? BIOS ? Different IO board ? Can they be converted for one type to another ?

Dirt cheap as well, shipping was more expensive that the product.

7263424332_04aa1f1ba9_c.jpg
    Note: does not actually play NES games, cart for reference only :)

KeithGeo stole mine :mad:

Well in exchange for money anyway :D

I shall remedy that next week with a quick visit to Radionics :rolleyes:

Is there an actual walk in Radionics store up there?

Lucky bastards!

Only 2 options in Cork: Either Maplin or a scrapyard! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

waveform wrote: »
    Is there an actual walk in Radionics store up there?

Lucky bastards!

Only 2 options in Cork: Either Maplin or a scrapyard! ;)

Yeah a trade counter, you can just go in & pay cash though. Tis well handy, the lads are sound too.

Post here everytime you get sunburnt.....

2 little pieces came in the door today but too sickly feeling and tired feeling to post them up.

Always feel like this after a roasting, maybe i go to sleep nao.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Of course, relativity, quantum mechanics, it's pixies you know, deep down, little frakkers!

Terry Pratchett?

Nope, in the Discworld books it's A'tuin, the world Turtle and 4 elephants that allows the show to go on, pixies, little gits, are what's really going on, New Scientist won't date publish the truth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Nope, in the Discworld books it's A'tuin, the world Turtle and 4 elephants that allows the show to go on, pixies, little gits, are what's really going on, New Scientist won't date publish the truth!

Imps in the camera though and dis-organiser is what was on my brain. Wrong trouser of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I thought it was gnomes?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Odd one this but in Ikea today I found out they do a sort of bargain basement own brand version of the Hama beads.
    On the plus side , they're fairly cheap , 6quid for a decent enough size drum , and 1.50 for some boards
    on the minus side : 10 colours means its really really 8 bit art time, and the palette is a little odd (there is a cyan yellow and magenta so speccy enthusiasts would have a ball, sadly it doesn't have the 28 shades of muddy brown needed for c64 sprites ;)).This all means you may need to swap colours around a bit to fit.
    Also the melting point for the beads seems to be fairly tricky , they go from barely holding to melted goo very easily, as 'burns unit mario ' below can confirm.
    Still with a bit of practice I might be able to knock out something a little better (and then spend waay too much on proper beads)
    th_IMG_20120525_014000.jpg
    if I dont get a thanks for this from sparks43 by the way I will be disappointed...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Dr Bob wrote: »
    th_IMG_20120525_014000.jpg
    if I dont get a thanks for this from sparks43 by the way I will be disappointed...;)
    I already made him one at Christmas, with the right colours :P lol jk. Mario is all the right shades, it's perfect :3
    They melted or are they just facing the wrong way? that's how mine seem to turn out now lately, just can't get the heat right, it's too low or too hot.
    Maybe we should have Post Here When You Make Something New

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Rockford can be differant colours depending on the platform/game.

Sera your one is beside my bed and its one of my favourite xmas gifts ever xxxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

No matter how many games I pick up

This just makes me want to play it again :(

Where do I add the drunk tags? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Sera your one is beside my bed and its one of my favourite xmas gifts ever xxxxx
    no way, thought it'd be broken by now, it was a bit flimsy :rolleyes: a rush job
    it's weird, I always use 5 x's D: because of my name

Sera wrote: »
    I already made him one at Christmas, with the right colours :P lol jk. Mario is all the right shades, it's perfect :3
    They melted or are they just facing the wrong way? that's how mine seem to turn out now lately, just can't get the heat right, it's too low or too hot.
    Maybe we should have Post Here When You Make Something New
    I do like the idea of a make thread..seeing as how i seem to be faffing about with mods or this lately!
    yeah marios a bit melted, but oddly enough the colors are spot on.
    going to try another one today
    Rockford should be grey/white/brown/black , but the really limited pallette doesnt gave grey (blue,yellow.pink,white,red,brown,orange black seems to be it)so I had to do the best with what I had ..sob!
    Trying to find something that lets me use a small grid with them ,
    http://mypixelpal.com/ seems to be pretty good, but is really geared around larger ones , 29x29 , the stuff I've been doing is really only around 16x16 or so .
    What I really want to be able to do is grab c64/sms sprites and grid them , (because most sites around making these seem to be US based its all NES/Mario/SFII/Pokemon and not much odd stuff)..

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Nice work Dr Bob! ;)

Just to let you know though, those IKEA beads are absolutely terrible. It's been a while since I tried to use them, but I think the problem with them is they're not cut correctly, so some sit lower on the board than others. When you try to iron them, some end up getting missed and not melting properly.

Don't let it be a reflection on the difficulty level. If you use the Hama/Pearler branded ones ironing is a doddle.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Nice work Dr Bob! ;)

Just to let you know though, those IKEA beads are absolutely terrible. It's been a while since I tried to use them, but I think the problem with them is they're not cut correctly, so some sit lower on the board than others. When you try to iron them, some end up getting missed and not melting properly.

Don't let it be a reflection on the difficulty level. If you use the Hama/Pearler branded ones ironing is a doddle.
    yeah I'm definitely seeing their shortcomings , starting to get the itch to get some of the hama/perler ones .Anywhere sell them online with cheap shipping?

Master of the Universe

Here's the seller I get mine from

http://myworld.ebay.com/callahan13/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

I think this is the lot I got. Either that or I got the 60,000 batch one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-000-PERLER-Beads-YOU-Choose-from-48-Single-Colors-/370086544575?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item562ae084bf

It's definitely a worthy investment. So handy just having bags of one colour rather than having to separate a box of random ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

My Mega Key arrive today with the free game. I've not been able to get it working no matter how many combinations of the switches i use.
    Tried it on the Nomad with PAL games that normally dont work and nothing, also tried it on a couple of PAL megadrives/mega cd etc with some US games and nothing.

Not sure if its faulty or I'm just doing something wrong :(
    I wasn't sure it would work in PAL machines but it should definitely work in NTSC ones.

dsc1464n.jpg

dsc1468l.jpg

Master of the Universe

Simple answer- you're doing something wrong :p

I thought mine was broken. Was even going to take it apart. Then realized that I was doing something wrong!

Simple answer- you're doing something wrong :p

I thought mine was broken. Was even going to take it apart. Then realized that I was doing something wrong!

I dunno man, I have a feeling this might be borked :(
    To run a PAL game on a US system(a Nomad), what dip switches would you use?
    Hopefully I'm just having a low IQ moment and it does work. It's certainly possible with the record breaking lack of sleep I've had lately.

Master of the Universe

It's been well over a year since I used one, but I think this is what confused me.

I wanted to run an NTSC Genesis game on my PAL system. So I selected the USA cartridge DIP setting - doesn't work, says it's locked out.

Now if my memory serves me correctly, this is not how it works. What the cartridge does, is it fools the console into thinking that the game inserted is from its region.

Therefore if you want to run a genesis game on a PAL system, you need to get the PAL system thinking it's a PAL game.

So you select the PAL region (Brazil)

If you want to run a PAL game on a Nomad, select USA cartridge dip.

I think that's how it works anyway. I remember I couldn't get any game to run on it at all and then I had a bit of a moment where I realized I'd been thinking of the whole thing the wrong way around.

If you still cant get it to work, I'll break out my own cart and see if I can figure it out again.

It's been well over a year since I used one, but I think this is what confused me.

I wanted to run an NTSC Genesis game on my PAL system. So I selected the USA cartridge DIP setting - doesn't work, says it's locked out.

Now if my memory serves me correctly, this is not how it works. What the cartridge does, is it fools the console into thinking that the game inserted is from its region.

Therefore if you want to run a genesis game on a PAL system, you need to get the PAL system thinking it's a PAL game.

So you select the PAL region (Brazil)

If you want to run a PAL game on a Nomad, select USA cartridge dip.

I think that's how it works anyway. I remember I couldn't get any game to run on it at all and then I had a bit of a moment where I realized I'd been thinking of the whole thing the wrong way around.

If you still cant get it to work, I'll break out my own cart and see if I can figure it out again.

Cheers, that was my thinking on it as well but still no joy.

Master of the Universe

Odd!

Just fished it out along with an NTSC Gunstar Heroes. Will let you know exactly how it works in a min.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Well the above reasoning is correct, I set it to Brazil with a Genesis cart in a PAL console and it worked. Here's a pic of the config -

SDC10969.jpg

If it's still not working I take if you've tried switching off switch three to reset it? Other than that, how about a good clean?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement