Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Make efforts to play Journey with as few distractions as possible, and make sure you're online. You only get to experience Journey once: it's two hours long and playable in one session, so make sure you make the most out of it.

Even Retr0gamer believes the hype, so you know its good!

It does sound like someone was thinking outside the box, & for a brief two hours...once again video games are video games it seems.

Problem for me is, to experience it online I'd have to upgrade the PS3 firmware from 3.55 cfw...which I don't want to do. I also don't want to turn on my ps3 incase it breaks :pac:

Might pick up a cheapo second hand one for psn useage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,962 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It really has to be played online to get the most out of it though. I'd go so far as to say you will spoil it by playing it in single player first.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It really has to be played online to get the most out of it though. I'd go so far as to say you will spoil it by playing it in single player first.

Yep & thankfully I havn't played it at all yet. The developers were going for a genuine 'emotional-connction' thingy, so I think playing it offline would send part of the game over your head

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,962 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yep & thankfully I havn't played it at all yet. The developers were going for a genuine 'emotional-connction' thingy, so I think playing it offline would send part of the game over your head

Exactly. However if you've experienced the game already it won't have the mystery as the first time through it. The game is funnily enough about experiencing a journey, and experiencing the journey for the first time with some one else enhances that. It and Dark Souls are pretty much the only innovative use of online gaming this generation. I never thought it was possible but the Games Company really did use it in a way that would heighten the emotion of the experience.

I was surprised by it because I though Flower was handled pretty poorly with some naff controls and a really hackneyed message. Journey is genuinely a brand new game experience and achieves everything it set out to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,783 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have you played Dark Souls, ENow?

Have you played Dark Souls, ENow?

I did start & play it a while back but never really gave it a chance to get going. I must revisit it as that much critical acclaim it has to be really good

I did start & play it a while back but never really gave it a chance to get going. I must revisit it as that much critical acclaim it has to be really good

Best game this generation to be perfectly honest. Usuaully I'd say it's arguably the best but to be perfectly honest no game even comes close to its brilliance.

Best game this generation to be perfectly honest. Usuaully I'd say it's arguably the best but to be perfectly honest no game even comes close to its brilliance.

Ok I'm convinced....I'll go back & give it some time when I'm finished the current course I'm doing. How does it compare to Demon Souls?

Ok I'm convinced....I'll go back & give it some time when I'm finished the current course I'm doing. How does it compare to Demon Souls?

It's demon's souls on steroids basically. Bigger, better and more refined. Except the Capra Demon boss but that one bit of bad game design can't sully the rest of the experience.

It is however a game you have to play online is you want to get the most out of it. Even if you aren't doing PVP, co-op can help a lot and the other online systems really make the game.

It's demon's souls on steroids basically. Bigger, better and more refined. Except the Capra Demon boss but that one bit of bad game design can't sully the rest of the experience.

It is however a game you have to play online is you want to get the most out of it. Even if you aren't doing PVP, co-op can help a lot and the other online systems really make the game.

Ah sorry its Demon Souls I started & left, not Dark Souls...I've actually never played that. The completest in me would rather play the that first before going on to Dark Souls...are they closely linked?

Apart from the likes of Journey, I'd really avoid online play if at all possible...I take it that it enhances this game though?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,783 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah sorry its Demon Souls I started & left, not Dark Souls...I've actually never played that. The completest in me would rather play the that first before going on to Dark Souls...are they closely linked?

Apart from the likes of Journey, I'd really avoid online play if at all possible...I take it that it enhances this game though?

They're not all that linked: Dark Souls' builds on the systems and ideas of the first game and makes them something truly remarkable. Worth playing both though ;) With you observation about games being games earlier, just thought its amazing world, superb mechanics and beautifully realised challenge would be one you'd very much appreciate :)

As for online, it definitely enhances it in many ways: it mostly assists your journey through ghostly projections but also adds extra layers of challenge from time to time. Really is one to play signed into your gaming network of choice!

Definitely worth playing both games, both are exceptional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,291 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's such an amazing game. I love how unforgiving it is. It plays like a classic style videogame where the only way to progress is to die millions of times and learn from your mistakes. You really will love it.

Capra demon was indeed a pain in the arse. Well, it wasn't so much him as it was his dogs. That first few seconds had me wanting to smash the console.

I never did get to play it online, but loved every minute of it. I'm sure it's absolutely great playing with other folk invading, but I loved how alone I felt through the whole experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dark Souls?
    That game fupping hates me!

Atavan has my Demons Souls.
    That game didn't hate me as much as look down it's rotting nose in derision at my puny skill set.

Dark Souls is diametrically opposed to the Uncharted titles, games that hold your hand, allowing little true input into the set pieces and over in a trice with few challenges.
    Dark Souls makes every choice you make during the game, from class to weapon load out, through to the hand you hold it in and the stance you take, it all matters in each engagement, sure a one on one with a rotten corpse is simple, but aside from that you're on your own!

That game really hates me, did I mention that already?

Ciderman hates it so should be a ringing endorsement that it's far from the mediocre FPS games he loves :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I've played through Journey twice online at this point, the first was fairly typical (and brilliant), focussing on purely making progress with a partner. A few weeks later I played it again with a 'white robe' partner, who showed me all the secrets in the levels. Even though I'd already played through it I followed them the whole way and it felt like a whole new experience again. Was amazing how well the minimal communication between players can work. My favourite gaming experience on a home console in years.

Some recent GET!'age

35avke9.jpg

And these

kdqzpg.jpg

to make this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ah maplins, I'd rather shave my nether regions with a chainsaw then purchase from them again.

Ah maplins, I'd rather shave my nether regions with a chainsaw then purchase from them again.

I'd agree, but given that mmmonkey listed the exact product codes, & the whole lot costs next to nothing...this was the preferred option rather than using a stepdown :)

I'd normally never grace the shores of Maplin, but there was no work in it this time

• Advertisement

I just hit the button on this - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180985867836&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

Stupidly cheap, surely a mistake on the postage. If its real though, an NTSC Nes for €35 delivered. We shall see...

Welcome to the NTSC club.

Welcome to the NTSC club.

PAL systems need to be blasted with piss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

It's Famicom or nothing! No connector issues here :P

Speaking of systems that need to be blasted with piss, this arrived today:

222607.JPG

So is this the game to make everyone run out and buy a CDi? Well no it's not. It is however a pretty decent game and very playable since it doesn't have the usual scrolling issues most CDi games have. It seems very short though, only 6 short stages.

Oops resizing edit!

ghostchant wrote: »
    It's Famicom or nothing! No connector issues here :P

Thats next ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This should be the triumphant post about the lovely haul of games I've gotten for my ps2.
    Sadly wasted my morning for a school girl to turn up with a cd wallet of mostly back ups with poorly printed covers. :/
    Bugger!
    I think I'll buy something now to cheer myself up!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    This should be the triumphant post about the lovely haul of games I've gotten for my ps2.
    Sadly wasted my morning for a school girl to turn up with a cd wallet of mostly back ups with poorly printed covers. :/
    Bugger!

Are these the ones from Adverts recently?

That's the one.
    I've no doubt they'd work on my Test ps2 but I was disappointed and walked away instead.
    Ah well.

Thats ridiculous, I hope you reported the ad. Selling backed up/pirated games is against the rules of course ;)

Good aul adverts, it really brings them out

This was a teenager who said they were her Dad's.
    I felt sorry for her tbh.
    There appeared to be few that might have been genuine but I couldn't be bothered.
    Most sorry follower for not getting Gigantic Drive, might get it elsewhere instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Bugger!

Jayzus that sounds dodgy - aul geezer pulls up in a car to conduct some nefarious deal with a minor in a school uniform? :eek:

Don't bother with Adverts these days at all, waste of time with all the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Just Picked up an Atari XE games system.....The guys wanted 100 but I got it down to 55 as he did not have the joystick.......;)

System is fully boxed and comes with the light gun..........

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Jayzus that sounds dodgy - aul geezer pulls up in a car to conduct some nefarious deal with a minor in a school uniform? :eek:

Don't bother with Adverts these days at all, waste of time with all the hassle.

Thought it might have been some mad entrapment situation for a second there :pac:

"I swear, officer, I was just looking to buy some Japanese PS1 games!"

I hear it's the same excuse Jeremy Forrest is using.

I'm going to make it seem more sordid and say she was a asian lassie as well.
    She seemed genuinely embarrassed although when I pointed the problem out she asked how much would I give for them. Perhaps I should have just gave her a twenty and headed off.
    I'm not going to report her, she seems to have a lot of ads on Adverts and I will wait and see if she is honest and removes the ads.
    At least, also, I had only to drive to Castleknock from here, imagine if I was travelling a distance before finding the problem!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I'm going to make it seem more sordid and say she was a asian lassie as well.
    She seemed genuinely embarrassed although when I pointed the problem out she asked how much would I give for them. Perhaps I should have just gave her a twenty and headed off.
    I'm not going to report her, she seems to have a lot of ads on Adverts and I will wait and see if she is honest and removes the ads.
    At least, also, I had only to drive to Castleknock from here, imagine if I was travelling a distance before finding the problem!

To buy herself some sweets? Drinks, I meant drinks. :pac:

2202445,yp+T7PMY5lKvdiJRNP2232rRcIxVh8A_S7N9IsWuz4QEwaEPZZrjpU+rJbihmueTTpJCTKIusJ0qmDEDRKo4WA==.jpg

I'd keep an eye on it, if she leaves them up, & I fully suspect she will, some other innocent party will only get stung. Rules are rules & are there for all, no doubt if you or me done the same we'd be the worst in the world

Andrew76 wrote: »
    To buy herself some sweets? Drinks, I meant drinks. :pac:

That's it, I'm off to Jamma+ ! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Steve X2

That's it, I'm off to Jamma+ ! ;)

They know how to treat a guy right over there let me tell ya!
    Everyone is just so mean here on A&R :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0 gave me a present of DQIX at the weekend and got Bubble Bobble in the post this morning
    IMG_20121001_2.png

Hmm Sera, DQ and Bubble Bobble?
    I get the heady scent of lurve there.....

Always liked Bubble Bobble on the GB, was a lovely version too.

Not sure the bow was included in the gift giving.... did Orlando have one to spare???

• Advertisement

DQ and Bubble Bobble?
    I get the heady scent of lurve there
    Always liked Bubble Bobble on the GB, was a lovely version too.
    bought BB myself for £5 including postage, saw a clip of it on YT and just wanted it then, actually didn't have any BB games. But need to work on getting some GBA games now though I think

Did Dr Bob cover the GB version in his review of the franchise over the different formats?
    It's pretty good, £5 with p&p is a real bargain, well done.

What GBA titles are you after?

Did Dr Bob cover the GB version in his review of the franchise over the different formats?
    It's pretty good, £5 with p&p is a real bargain, well done.

What GBA titles are you after?
    Afaik no, from what I remember seeing. Happy out now, kinda have enough GB games to not buy anymore for awhile.
    Not really sure, can say what I don't want, which is what I have (Sonic Advance 1 & 2, Rampage Puzzle Attack, YGO Sacred Cards and Harvest Moon FoMT) and cleared SA3, Sonic Battle and the PKMN games when I borrowed them so not looking for them yet, want new stuff that I'd play. My knowledge of GBA games is really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Got this to tide me over while I find the proper set:

A4EkYgSCYAEzKr7.jpg:large

And then made a makeshift drum kit..... (yes that is an ironing board!)

A4EuP86CIAAGa1P.jpg:large

Apologies for all the modern stuff, just haven't been shopping for much retro lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,085 ✭✭✭Doge

LOL @ the Ironing Board! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,291 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Never saw one of them before, mad looking yolk.

Have two sets of Guitar Hero drums in the house, the second set is much better made.

First set my girlfriend managed to beat to death with real drumsticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

o1s1n wrote: »
    Never saw one of them before, mad looking yolk.

Have two sets of Guitar Hero drums in the house, the second set is much better made.

First set my girlfriend managed to beat to death with real drumsticks.

It's basically just the pads without the stand! Handy if you're low on space or going to a friends but not the most comfortable things to play as they're flat on a surface as opposed to at an angle if they were in the kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,085 ✭✭✭Doge

Speaking of Rock Band,
    I saw recently that there's a similar game which will teach you how to play a real guitar, using an audio to USB lead to plug into the console.

My memory is very vague of the game, I think i may have seen it on d'telly.

Anyone know the thing Im on about?

Grrr...the musical equivalent of pet simulations. Just learn to play a real guitar dadgum

• Advertisement

waveform wrote: »
    Speaking of Rock Band,
    I saw recently that there's a similar game which will teach you how to play a real guitar, using an audio to USB lead to plug into the console.

My memory is very vague of the game, I think i may have seen it on d'telly.

Anyone know the thing Im on about?

Rocksmith, there's a copy on Adverts for €50.
    Seems interesting, I can't play the guitar so it's probably wasted on me!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement