Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,291 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The musical equivalent of any videogame genre which you can do in real life :p

Driving sim? Drive a real car
    Football sim? Go out to a field
    Flight sim? Go to flight school
    Fighting sim? Hit town on a Saturday night about 2am

I've been trying to learn the guitar since I was 15. Which is now 13 years ago. My brain just doesn't work that way :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Alcholicappleflavouredbeverageman (yes I know that's wrong), I nearly made an offer on the ps2 games, then I saw their other ads for pirate dvds.
    might throw in a report to the mods if you haven't already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

EnterNow wrote: »
    Grrr...the musical equivalent of pet simulations. Just learn to play a real guitar dadgum

Ain't nobody got time for that!!

It is something I'd dearly love to learn though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Steve X2

The ladies dig a guy who can use his instrument well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    The musical equivalent of any videogame genre which you can do in real life :p

Driving sim? Drive a real car - at 150mph around famous tracks? Nah!
    Football sim? Go out to a field - & win a world cup with the best players? Nah!
    Flight sim? Go to flight school - 80k it costs to become a commercial pilot!
    Fighting sim? Hit town on a Saturday night about 2am - Yeah but try do a flaming dragon punch that goes 15ft in the air!

I've been trying to learn the guitar since I was 15. Which is now 13 years ago. My brain just doesn't work that way :(:(:(

Fixed & edited. It's true that games are extensions of real life things & normally allow you to do the impossible. But for things like playing guitar etc, I have to say a game wouldn't appeal to me. I taught myself how to play the guitar when I was about 15 with simple tuition books. And playing along to your favourite songs & nailing a famous guitar solo feels better than any guitar/band hero game will ever make you feel. It just takes patience, & a bit of dedication - anyone here could do it if they gave themselves the chance, those damned guitar shaped joypads though...put them away!

As I said above, buy a half decent acoustic guitar & a few learning books & go for it. It helps if you really love certain songs/types of music which lend themselves to guitar playing, but again, anyone can learn it.
    Steve SI wrote: »
    The ladies dig a guy who can use his instrument well.

This is true lads, innuendo aside too :D

• Advertisement

took delivery this morning of these Japanese Saturn games (shakes fist at Steve for getting me started)

001-10.jpg?t=1349122002

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Never saw one of them before, mad looking yolk.

The ironing board? That's perfectly acceptable for a man with gold wallpaper and a pantry. The butler will be able to explain it to you. :p

No new retro gets for me, waiting over a fecking month now for anti-static bubble wrap from the uk, need to email the damn seller. :-(

Andrew76 wrote: »
    No new retro gets for me, waiting over a fecking month now for anti-static bubble wrap from the uk, need to email the damn seller. :-(

27656385.jpg

As I said above, buy a half decent acoustic guitar & a few learning books & go for it. It helps if you really love certain songs/types of music which lend themselves to guitar playing, but again, anyone can learn it.

I have an electric and acoustic. I used to be able to play a few simple tunes but I forget how to read tabs and all that now. Problem is they're both left handed guitars because I'm a dirty leftie, but I feel more comfortable playing right handed.

I have an electric and acoustic. I used to be able to play a few simple tunes but I forget how to read tabs and all that now. Problem is they're both left handed guitars because I'm a dirty leftie, but I feel more comfortable playing right handed.

I'm left handed but play guitar right handed, don't make it hard for yourself just sell them on & get a normal one :)

No word yet from the seller of the US Nes I bought...I wonder if they'll pull out of the deal given the postage price. Are ebay sellers obliged to sell once the ad is live?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,783 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Much like a driving sim is just an emulation of a real life activity, Rock Band / Guitar Hero is the same. Not everyone will win a grand prix in real life, but nor will everyone bust out a flawless solo in front of a huge crowd. It's a game, it's not meant to be a replacement for instruments (although Rock Band 3 and now Rocksmith can at least act as solid introductory tools for that). It's a high score challenge, an absolutely terrific party game. It's no more or less of a waste of one's time or effort than playing any other game, really. It's not for everyone, especially those who actually have learned to play an instrument (and I have never been a musically minded person), but the best are extremely well designed, addictive games.

Much like a driving sim is just an emulation of a real life activity, Rock Band / Guitar Hero is the same. Not everyone will win a grand prix in real life, but nor will everyone bust out a flawless solo in front of a huge crowd. It's a game, it's not meant to be a replacement for instruments (although Rock Band 3 and now Rocksmith can at least act as solid introductory tools for that). It's a high score challenge, an absolutely terrific party game. It's no more or less of a waste of one's time or effort than playing any other game, really. It's not for everyone, especially those who actually have learned to play an instrument (and I have never been a musically minded person), but the best are extremely well designed, addictive games.

No denying that, they're high score games & good party/group games at at that. Its just if half the people who played them put as much effort into the real thing, they'd surprise themselves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Enternow, what's your take on Rocksmith, since it's using a real guitar and effectively using the game to teach you. Used to play guitar myself in a couple of mediocre bands in my teens, still loved guitar hero when it came out though, less cringeworthy playing that with my brothers than us all being amped up on the sitting room!

ghostchant wrote: »
    Enternow, what's your take on Rocksmith, since it's using a real guitar and effectively using the game to teach you. Used to play guitar myself in a couple of mediocre bands in my teens, still loved guitar hero when it came out though, less cringeworthy playing that with my brothers than us all being amped up on the sitting room!

Well Rocksmith I'd see somewhat differently, as it can be used as a teaching aid as you mentioned, & it uses actual guitars rather than joypads shaped like a guitar.

Also as JU said, the others are grand for what they do which is great for just having a laugh/parties etc. I also hate when someone takes a real guitar out at house parties etc, so it spares us from that :p

I suppose I just get a little grumpy when it comes to them because they're just joypads at the end of the day, & if people actually put the same effort into playing a real guitar they'd be surprised at how good they'd get so quickly. It's cringe-worthy seeing people go on about nailing a solo or some song in GuitarHero etc....

Each to their own & all that, I suppose all I'm saying though is if you actually wanna play a guitar over a joypad, go & do it. It's not like flight sims or driving sims where you can't exactly go out & shoot down a Mig 29 in your F117...or you can't tear around Suzuka in a Ferarri F430 in real life without being very lucky...but you can learn guitar, quite easily & cheaply :)

I see them the same way as rhythm games like elite beat agents or taiko. Same sort of feeling when you finally nail that solo on hard as when you finally beat that level that you thought was impossible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Game & Watch Gallery arrived this morning and a perfectly formed little jewel it is too!
    Only 3 euro and the price of a couple of stamps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Picked up this pair of classics today (for the Atari ST) both in perfect condition. Stuff like this dates back to a time where the packaging was as important as the content :)

8047920976_16bf1e0fd1_c.jpg

YEAH B1TCH!!!

2r47dyh.jpg

2v8lo47.jpg

28bwtar.jpg

5folyu.jpg

I know a few here don't like them, but I do, & thats all that matters {Father Phintan Stack voice}

It's 100% yellow free, complete with smarties joypad etc. I have the bits to make up the MD1 power supply loom, & I have an RGB Scart from consolegoods for it {the PAL RGB GC lead is the same lead they make for the US Snes}

I'll remove the two tabs then that let PAL & NTSC-J carts fit in, & it'll be 100% universal.

Jen-qui

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,962 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

{the PAL RGB GC lead is the same lead they make for the US Snes}

You sure about that? I had to mod my GC lead for it to work with the PAL version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Awesome GET!
    Well done!

WANT!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You sure about that? I had to mod my GC lead for it to work with the PAL version.

Yep, scroll down to the second listed RGB scart - http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/snes/snes_hard.htm

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I know a few here don't like them, but I do, & thats all that matters {Father Phintan Stack voice}

Exactly!

Always liked the look of the US one. Top GET.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Awesome GET!
    Well done!

WANT!!!!!!!

I think you need one of these before you buy a Move kit :D

Edit - Actually in the above pics it looks like the lower half of the casing is yellowed, it's a weird effect of the light I think because to the eye its the same colour as the top case. I seen a few on ebay that looked like this & actually passed them by thinking it was yellowing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Welcome to the NTSC SNES club

Probably the only time I'll get to say that on this forum so I'll take full advantage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,565 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Washed in coke smarties joypad. I also think it looks absolutely gorgeous!

Only problem is that prepare to have your wallet emptied with all the great SNES games that you want and the price of them

Only problem is that prepare to have your wallet emptied with all the great SNES games that you want and the price of them

I can now officially build up a collection of carts. I actually think collecting NTSC-J and NTSC-U in the long run will be cheaper, given the cheaper cost per unit. Sure the postage will be higher, but I'll try stick to NTSC-J where possible, & NTSC-U where I have to/want to. The JP postage & cart prices for the common stuff is very reasonable, & the US carts are dirt cheap too until you get to the normally expensive stuff anyways.

The question is now, what do I do with my existing PAL carts? Replace them with NTSC dopplegangers, or leave them be if they're happy running at 60hz? I've a fully CIB Zelda 3, the three Star Wars games all cib, etc...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,962 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Collecting NTSC is definitely cheaper. The problem is if you go JRPG. Those Square and Enix games and Earthbound don't go cheap!

If you go PAL you can just pretend Secret of Mana and Terranigma were the only ones ever released.

Well go NTSC-J for every game you can, boxes are way cooler anyway. But any text heavy RPG will have to come from the US of A.

Problem is that we're boxed in over here, theres no chance of us coming across a load of NTSC Snes carts at a car boot sale or anything so we pretty much have to pay all the going rates

• Advertisement

Collecting NTSC is definitely cheaper. The problem is if you go JRPG. Those Square and Enix games and Earthbound don't go cheap!

If you go PAL you can just pretend Secret of Mana and Terranigma were the only ones ever released.

Thankfully it's not a genre I've any interest in.....yet

Who says Steve SI is the only person to have 2 of everything :pac:

IMG_20120925_232842.jpg

I got another My Pet Monster, needed the handcuffs and I said id sell keep one and see the other but looks like I'm keep both now haha

Pfft! PAL Final Fantasys!

(The only ones I have... and FFVII is Platinum :( )

The seller of that NES contacted me, apparently it was a mistake by him listing shipping as $15 to Ireland. He asked me if it was possible to throw him another $10 & he'd cover the rest.

I threw him another $15 because he seemed genuine about it, but I still got it shipped for about €22 in total which is under half what most others are charging so I'm happy with that.

Now, to order a 72pin from Rewind Bits. Never actually fit one of those before :o

I fit a 72-pin adapter just there and still have trouble with it. Make sure to stretch the pin upwards before fitting it. Usually the major porblem is the carts being dirt. It might seem like a good idea but don't blow into the cart, it makes life much worse, they really do get oxidised a lot easier if you do! Give them a good clean and try to avoid natures natural reaction to cartridges not working :)

I fit a 72-pin adapter just there and still have trouble with it. Make sure to stretch the pin upwards before fitting it. Usually the major porblem is the carts being dirt. It might seem like a good idea but don't blow into the cart, it makes life much worse, they really do get oxidised a lot easier if you do! Give them a good clean and try to avoid natures natural reaction to cartridges not working :)

Yep, when that arrives I'll have to do a NES cart clearout & replace them with NTSC-U ones so no doubt I'll be cleaning those newer ones. Still though, it's 60Hz goodness...it's worth it

• Advertisement

Very few PAL games are optimised for 50Hz. I'd say you could play them all on the NTSC machine and they will work fine. The only one I came across that was PAL optimised was the first Mario game.

Very few PAL games are optimised for 50Hz. I'd say you could play them all on the NTSC machine and they will work fine. The only one I came across that was PAL optimised was the first Mario game.

Isn't there timing issues, particularly with music, when you play a PAL Nes cart in a 60Hz machine?

Isn't there timing issues, particularly with music, when you play a PAL Nes cart in a 60Hz machine?

Depends of the game. Most games are just the NTSC game but with a PAL lock out chip, the music hasn't been touched and gameplay not sped up. Stuff like Castlevania play really slowly with crappy music since the code hasn't been changed at all. I think Megaman 2 is the same.

If the music sounds grand on 60Hz then you know it's a lazy PAL port. I'd say Nintendo were the only ones that attempted PAL optimisation on the NES. You can easily tell if the music isn't right.

Depends of the game. Most games are just the NTSC game but with a PAL lock out chip, the music hasn't been touched and gameplay not sped up. Stuff like Castlevania play really slowly with crappy music since the code hasn't been changed at all. I think Megaman 2 is the same.

So if the game plays really slowly, you know its not optimised for 50Hz & is just a 60Hz game running at 50Hz is it?
    If the music sounds grand on 60Hz then you know it's a lazy PAL port. I'd say Nintendo were the only ones that attempted PAL optimisation on the NES. You can easily tell if the music isn't right.

So if I play my existing carts on the NTSC Nes, & they sound fine, then sure enough its a lazy PAL version & is ok to keep?

Yes if they sound and play fine. The music should sound really awful when sped up so you'll know but if you want to be sure just check out a youtube video of the NTSC game. When I played PAL mario on my NTSC NES the controls felt all kinds of wrong and the music was way too fast, it was very noticable. Stuff like Castlevania, you'll find the music sounds better and the game plays an awful lot better. If it runs too fast you'll usually know because it will just feel wrong.

Again check youtube to be sure, it should make it very obvious.

Rare developed games might be another exception to the crap PAL ports but outside of a few games like Battletoads they made an awful lot of crap for LJN so again you might not even want to play their games :)

• Advertisement

Done :)

opjit.jpg

I went totally unoriginal and bought Gran Turismo 5 for the PS3.
    Of course now I have to wait a few hours whilst it catches up with all the updates.
    So that's the PS3 tied up for the rest of the day!
    It only cost 15 in Tesco, so not too bad.
    They also have Rage and LBP2 for 15.

Just to confirm, the Gamecube PAL RGB scart from Consolegoods works perfectly with the NTSC Snes as advertised. No hassle, no hum, just beautiful RGB goodness.

Also the guide by mmmonkey for the MD1 PSU works a charm, really nice little solution.

So there you go, its working away & had a quick blast of Contra 3 to celebrate. I'll remove the cart tabs tomorrow so PAL/SFC carts fit.

Nes, your next. Over & out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

YEAH B1TCH!!!

Sweet dude, looks in great condition.

Really wanna pick up, been looking around but fairly strapped for cash at the moment :mad:

What bugs me abit about modded pal snes's is some games give lag when you play them. Like DKC games are pal optimised so they don't work perfect in 60hz, and some games like castlevania 4 etc give extra lag too :( There all perfectly playable of course but it bugs me abit sometimes :) Theres a slight timing difference between the pal and ntsc consoles or so I read before and it affects some games, but not many

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,565 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I shall be buying a GameCube rgb cable from them so.

Might have my beady eyes on a NTSC Super Ninty.
    Going to use parcelmotel to bring it in, cheaper and my own personal Sauron will have no idea something is entering Mordor the house!

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I shall be buying a GameCube rgb cable from them so.

Its listed in the Snes category, just mention what you want it for too to be safe :)

Well, jumped in with both feet.
    An US Snes, with the innards already fiddled with is now on it's way to the nearest parcel motel.
    It seems to be modded, so not only was the might snips used to enable Jap titles, it'll also run Euro games as well.
    It comes with one proper controller and a spurious PSU.
    Also included are three games, Super Godzilla, which is a US title, Aladdin, which is Pal and Super Genjiin 2, otherwise known as BC Kid: Bonks Revenge 2, which is a jap title.

And all for about €70 delivered.

Now the console is a tad yellowed but it might be right for whitening up, if anyone has a bottle of the miracle stuff handy!

Once it arrives and I see that it is working fine, I'll get Starfox and finally see how it is supposed to be played.... 60Hz FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Ordered another IBM XT.
    Instead an IBM 5150 arrived. Winnage. Perfect for playing Digger and Elite:cool:..... :pac:
    IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    Needs some restoration so I'll be working on that one over the next week or two....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, jumped in with both feet.
    An US Snes, with the innards already fiddled with is now on it's way to the nearest parcel motel.
    It seems to be modded, so not only was the might snips used to enable Jap titles, it'll also run Euro games as well.
    It comes with one proper controller and a spurious PSU.
    Also included are three games, Super Godzilla, which is a US title, Aladdin, which is Pal and Super Genjiin 2, otherwise known as BC Kid: Bonks Revenge 2, which is a jap title.

And all for about €70 delivered.

Now the console is a tad yellowed but it might be right for whitening up, if anyone has a bottle of the miracle stuff handy!

Once it arrives and I see that it is working fine, I'll get Starfox and finally see how it is supposed to be played.... 60Hz FTW!

A trend has now started I fear :p

No mods are needed to make PAL titles work, just the two snipped off tabs. When it comes to PAL Locked titles, yes you could add switches for Region/50Hz but I'd rather just buy NTSC versions of those titles :)

Well done on the purchase man. Make sure & pick up an RGB scart for it too ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement