Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,963 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hey, they're good games, just unpolished and have a bad rep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hey, they're good games, just unpolished and have a bad rep.

Very much like a plate of steaming hot sh1t :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah, the sweet sound of Retr0, defending the indefencible....
    The CDi is a poor excuse for a games console, end of.
    Even the Gizmondo probably had at least one game worth playing, didn't stop it sucking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

EnterNow wrote: »
    Very much like a plate of steaming hot sh1t :p

A polished turd is still a turd my friend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Well in the defense of the CD-i.....

Nope, sorry got nothing I'm afraid, Retr0 is on his own :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I guess this is retro related.
    Traded a few games for an iMac G3 with SnakePlissken.
    Now I'll probably mod the G3 into something funky or weird but for the moment I'm running MAME on it and its not bad considering its got 128mb of ram and a 400Mhz proc. It struggles on anything more taxing than Street Fighter 2 though.
    I'll beef the ram up to the maximum 1GB and install a CF Card solid state drive in it and see how it runs for the laugh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Steve SI wrote: »
    I guess this is retro related.
    Traded a few games for an iMac G3 with SnakePlissken.
    Now I'll probably mod the G3 into something funky or weird but for the moment I'm running MAME on it and its not bad considering its got 128mb of ram and a 400Mhz proc. It struggles on anything more taxing than Street Fighter 2 though.
    I'll beef the ram up to the maximum 1GB and install a CF Card solid state drive in it and see how it runs for the laugh :)

Good to hear you're playing around with it already, it needed someone more technically savvy than myself to do something interesting with it. Thanks again for the NES games, though why did you have to throw in an Atari Lynx card, it's got me looking online now for a handheld which previously I had little interest in, though once I don't try for a complete library like I did with the Ngage my bank manager, aka "The Wife", shouldn't be too put out.

Good to hear you're playing around with it already, it needed someone more technically savvy than myself to do something interesting with it. Thanks again for the NES games, though why did you have to throw in an Atari Lynx card, it's got me looking online now for a handheld which previously I had little interest in, though once I don't try for a complete library like I did with the Ngage my bank manager, aka "The Wife", shouldn't be too put out.

Free Lynx games for all :D
    Ah sure just pick up a cheap Lynx online and give it a go. It's not the best handheld system to have but it's nice to have in the collection.
    I wanted one ever since I seen Hobie playing it on Baywatch all those years ago :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,963 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have been interested in a Lynx since Dr Bobs Xybots review and the recent retrogamer article. Some really nice Atari games on it.

Have been interested in a Lynx since Dr Bobs Xybots review and the recent retrogamer article. Some really nice Atari games on it.

Same here, wouldn't mind picking one up at some stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

I always wanted to get one after my brother sold his ( years ago ), Got a lynx 2 from the uk. One of the best handhelds ( if I say so myself ), always liked it over the gameboy......

Have a Lynx 1 as well, Love the atari systems :D. The games are quite cheap when they appear on adverts.......

At the time I played Xybots it was in the arcades, that and Blasteroids were good fun.
    I haven't so much as turned on the Lynx in more than 2 years, must do so, pick up Xybots and Stun Runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,291 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

About 2-3 years ago, I won a CIB mint PS1 with a rake of games and those rare analog controllers from an ebay seller in Dublin. Ended up getting it all for 15 quid.

As she was south side, we drove out to pick it up.

Went home happy as larry - then I saw her list a Lynx the next day. I think it ended at about 15 quid too. Was too lazy to trek out to her again to pick it up. Probably should have! Shame I didnt know it was there when I dropped by the first time :(

I had something coming today for the Dreamcast and I'd show it here, but the dog ate it :mad::mad::mad:

Today's post(this is the packet, the actual item is missing and presumed eaten):
    dsc2909b.jpg

Steve SI wrote: »
    I had something coming today for the Dreamcast and I'd show it here, but the dog ate it :mad::mad::mad:

Today's post(this is the packet, the actual item is missing and presumed eaten):
    dsc2909b.jpg

I'm sorry but that genuinely made me laugh, god damn dogs :D

"The actual item is missing & presumed eaten" :pac::pac::pac:

I'm sorry but that genuinely made me laugh, god damn dogs :D

"The actual item is missing & presumed eaten" :pac::pac::pac:

It's not even my dog, just a dog we're fostering.
    Anyway, it wasn't crazy expensive but I still wanted it. It was an SD card thingy for the Dreamcast to run homebrew and games. I have a download of all the SD compatible games here and wanted to test it out. I also own them all of course (actually do).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just feed it some sort of laxative and wait it out. Or gut it with a knife if you're the impatient type.

Followed the dog outside to the back yard and found her chewing on this:
    img0574bf.jpg

The plastic is chewed up but the actual SD adapter seems untouched :)

1st impressions on the SD adapter are good.
    So far all the games have loaded (slower than with disc). No CDDA but I knew that. You do miss the soundtrack in SoulCalibur though.
    Pretty decent little thing and i'll test the other 100 or so compatible games I have here over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

What's the craic with the SD cards for Dreamcast.
    How do you throw the games on...what format is needed?
    Also are they accessed via a menu system.
    I'm sick of changing discs(plus playing loads of knock off burnt copies is wrecking the motor)
    Sorry for my ignorance

• Advertisement

What's the craic with the SD cards for Dreamcast.
    How do you throw the games on...what format is needed?
    Also are they accessed via a menu system.
    I'm sick of changing discs(plus playing loads of knock off burnt copies is wrecking the motor)
    Sorry for my ignorance

The ones that work the best are full sdiso rips of game discs in iso format as far as I can tell.
    I've tested about 30 or so games today and they all worked for me. Some had some quirks loading but they all got to the game. It's all menu driven from the boot disc or special bios if you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭antor

Got me a GBA AGS 101 The difference is amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Can someone forgive my ignorance and explain the difference between a standard SP vs one of these "AGS 101" thingys? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Can someone forgive my ignorance and explain the difference between a standard SP vs one of these "AGS 101" thingys? :pac:

Standard SP is frontlit. AGS-101 is backlit, so it's brighter.

Master of the Universe

Yeah, brighter and the light is distributed properly. Gotta get me one of em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So I got something new today for next week and for halloween...

Could kind of be considered videogame related I suppose....

230830_4874636826568_428278268_n.jpg

Hehehe...

A red shirt, don't you guys die first?

And the AGS 101 screen is similar in quality to the DS lite screen, but with one you can play any Gameboy game, unlike the awesome GB Micro, which sadly is limited to GBA titles only.

Only misstep with the 101 compared to the 001 is you can't press the shoulder button and zoom into Gameboy titles.

But otherwise it's a flawless spectacular device, well worth owning.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    A red shirt, don't you guys die first?

Not in The Next Generation we don't. ;-)

Master of the Universe

Brilliant! I'd go for an admiral one myself :pac:

• Advertisement

Only misstep with the 101 compared to the 001 is you can't press the shoulder button and zoom into Gameboy titles.
    Yes you can.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Brilliant! I'd go for an admiral one myself :pac:

That one was too expensive, hah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,565 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Halloween, eh.
    Well I'm getting blue wellies, blue Underphants, a blue onesie, blue glove and a blue hurling helmet.

Going as Tron again, are we?

Bit of a Commander Riker thing going on there Achillies :cool::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,565 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Going as Tron again, are we?

The blue bomber.

• Advertisement

Good old Riker.... or Roundy as we used to call him down the country, and he still got the girls!

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    The blue bomber.

In game or Mega Man boxart version? :)

Just picked up Donkey Kong Land 2, Battletoads, Nemesis (Gradius) and Yoshis Universal Gravitation.
    Happy Days!
    Thanks RNB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Just picked up Donkey Kong Land 2, Battletoads, Nemesis (Gradius) and Yoshis Universal Gravitation.
    !

For the CD-i ? Sweet :)

Erm.... nope, GB/A!

• Advertisement

YUS! My new NES has arrived in Port Laoise mail center.

Looks like it made it outta Wichita

Rednecks%20-%20Plains%20Trains%20Automobiles.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Nice one. This an NTSC jobbie?

"first child, came out sidewaaaayyysssss.....she didn't scream or nuttin"

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Nice one. This an NTSC jobbie?

"first child, came out sidewaaaayyysssss.....she didn't scream or nuttin"

Aye NTSC, unboxed but it was really cheap. I posted here back a few pages when I bought it, the seller made a mistake with the shipping price. I ended up meeting him halfway as a goodwill gesture to the poor fellow.

Been waiting eagerly to get it & clean it up/replace the 72pin connector.l

planes_trains.jpg

planes_trains.jpg

"Wow, I've never seen a man picked up by the testicles before "

And

" Those aren't two pillows! "

Almost that time of year to watch it again. Every Christmas night I watch it, religiously. Truly vintage Steve Martin & John Candy at their very best :cool: Its hillarious, and the 'comedies' of today would also do well to take notes ;)

The NTSC Nes arrived. Needs a thorough cleaning though before a camera goes near it, tis quite dirty as I expected from the pics. Looks like a smokers house or something, yellow grime that thankfully cleans off.

Couple of things arrived this morning.
    I'll stick up a pic or two later but I really like it when you get the original receipt for stuff bought so long ago :)

dsc2923b.jpg

NTSC Nes. Cleaned up to mint status actually, got it for a really good price too, delivered to my door for €43, with one pad & the obligatory Super Mario/Duck Hunt cart.

34ozp78.jpg

2d12wix.jpg

u9bmb.jpg

2urv793.jpg

Panic over, Tiger Heli and Life Force ( Salamander) for the Nes arrived this afternoon.
    Hopefully they will work on the Famicom via adaptor.
    If not its not the end of the world, I seem to have the Nes kinda working right now.

Oh, my Zapper guns have evaporated, can't find them anywhere, I need me some Wild Gunman!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I picked up Krustys Fun House and Goonies 2 CIB in Rage during the week.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement