Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    Odd!

Just fished it out along with an NTSC Gunstar Heroes. Will let you know exactly how it works in a min.

Cool, do you have the same one as myself or does your one have the Europe option as well.

88785.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,164 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I have the exact same one as you with four dip switches. Didn't even know that other three dip Euro one existed at all.

I have the exact same one as you with four dip switches. Didn't even know that other three dip Euro one existed at all.

cheers for doing that, no joy unfortunately:(

Master of the Universe

Ah crud.

By 'nothing' do you mean a black screen, or the screen saying there's a region lockout?

If it's a black screen then hopefully it's dirty contacts. When you have passthrough devices, there are a lot of contacts points going on. One of them is dirty and none of it will work.

If it's giving you the region lockout then the only remaining thing I can think of is that one of the solder points on the dip switch box thingy has come away.

Ah crud.

By 'nothing' do you mean a black screen, or the screen saying there's a region lockout?

If it's a black screen then hopefully it's dirty contacts. When you have passthrough devices, there are a lot of contacts points going on. One of them is dirty and none of it will work.

If it's giving you the region lockout then the only remaining thing I can think of is that one of the solder points on the dip switch box thingy has come away.

Just a black screen with no text. I've cleaned the contacts as I usually do for any cart I get and still nothing. I'll give it an OCD clean during the weekend and see if it makes an difference.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yeah if it's black I'd take that as a good sign. I am convinced with the right amount of cleaning ANY cart will eventually boot :pac:

Just after picking up something cool (non game related, but we seem to be all over the place topic wise here lately!)

A Philips WASC700 Streamium Centre along with the little sattelite. Really tops off the hifi unit :pac: You can put that sattelite anywhere around the place and send music over to it wirelessly.

IMG_1664.jpg

Only problem - the main unit gets stuck on boot! My dad has the exact same one and it cost him an absolute fortune a few years back. So at €80 (I think that was about a tenth of the original cost) I couldn't pass it up, even if it has a problem.

I'm pretty sure the harddrive in it has failed. (can hear it clicking when it's trying to boot) So a new reimaged one should do the trick (and bigger at that, the current one is only 40GB)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

...Only problem - the main unit gets stuck on boot! My dad has the exact same one and it cost him an absolute fortune a few years back. So at €80 (I think that was about a tenth of the original cost) I couldn't pass it up, even if it has a problem.

I'm pretty sure the harddrive in it has failed. (can hear it clicking when it's trying to boot) So a new reimaged one should do the trick (and bigger at that, the current one is only 40GB)

Lol, feel like I just emerged from a cave - since when did hifi's need to "boot" or have hard drives inside them? And where's the CD player or twin tape deck on that yoke? Retro my ass. :pac:

Master of the Universe

Hahaha :D

I know, I know. If I had my way, I'd have a wall of vinyl and cds! - but alas, I've too many collections as is! :(

Got rid my cd collection last year. So I needed a new source to put everything on. Have gotten a bit sick of running a cable to my lappy every time I want to hear some tunes!

Oh and it does have a CD player by the way - there's a slot in the top which you can feed them into - to then rip to the drive of course :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I just started collecting a few CDs again... :o

Master of the Universe

Anytime someone mentions something, you seem to collect for it! You make me feel I'm not the only one with this affliction. Thank you :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Got the Pacman Galaga game collection for the 3DS, pretty good so far, interesting use of 3d in the classic arcade games, the Xbla games still look great, the 3ds exclusives are more throw away, although the Galaga game looks a bit like Starblade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have been trying to track down some Be@rbrick Season 23 boxes since Christmas: as recently as yesterday morning, actually! Alas I couldn't find any that weren't dodgy Hong Kong versions. In town today I popped into Forbidden Planet, just to wearily check their usually horribly overpriced, outdated and limited collection of Kubricks (collectible and very geeky Japanese mini-figurines from various areas of pop culture). Was genuinely surprised to discover a load of series 23 blind boxes for sale. A euro or so more expensive than I'd usually pay, but couldn't resist picking up two after a long and fruitless search. Luckily (only a relatively low 5% distribution rate!), one of them contained this guy:

KjFiG.jpg?1

Huzzah! Actually looks much better than I thought it would (even has little yellow shoe buckles on the side). Now just to buy more boxes and suffer through the inevitable duplicates until I track down the Fringe and Rilakkuma ones :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Dreamcast 25

Fully working from
    adverts

But i would love to see the 3 nes games that i paid for droping into my letterbox

Soon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not retro but picked up Drill Spirits and Gunpey for the DS, a tenner for the two in Gamestop Brig City.
    Nearly bought Trackmania DS, but at 30 it's a bit steep, an awesome game though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,689 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

New stuff for me special thanks to Sera:

206458.jpg

So it's a Gameboy Colour. Screen is in immaculate condition. Finally have a gameboy since my original was stolen in the gaeltacht.

As for the Black thing with the mario mushroom decal, it's a NTSC NES. The owner spray painted it and the front hatch is gone but it's NTSC so superior to your PAL console you PAL peasants. I had to cannibalise my PAL NES for the 72 pin connector. Have to say that pulling the pins out was easier than expected.

What wasn't easy was cutting the leg off the NES lock out chip. I didn't have the right tools so had to use a scapel and lots of elbow grease. Did a practice run on the PAL NES and pulled the leg out of the chip so not really sure the PAL NES will work anymore :/ Managed to do it right on the NTSC NES though.

Anyway only had one game to test, Mario Bros PAL. I can safely confirm that the PAL verison is PAL optimised. The music and gameplay is way too fast but at least it works :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I nabbed a weird hybrid electronic/board game thing at a local car boot sale .(Lost treasure , very odd board game where you seemingly go off and do a mine sweeper electronic game on your turn..odd but nice for 1982)
    Ended up getting them to throw in the other 3 games they had.
    I figured I could sell them on if I'd no room for them.
    th_IMG_20120526_133013.jpg
    All are pretty much 100% complete.In fact the heroquest one seems to have a second set of minatures/rulebooks and an expansion.
    I've just seen how much space crusade and heroquest go for on ebay.
    <<Happy dance>>

Master of the Universe

Just looked up Heroquest and Space Crusade on ebay - welll done man! that's brilliant!

I take it they're classic GamesWorkshop/Warhammer type games?

Just looked up Heroquest and Space Crusade on ebay - welll done man! that's brilliant!

I take it they're classic GamesWorkshop/Warhammer type games?
    Yup , rakes of lovely minatures itching to be painstakingly painted ;)
    Tbh I figured they'd maybe go for a tenner or so , so fairly happy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,689 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Would love space quest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

SPACE CRUSADE! You are the jam! I have Hero Quest, but I've been hoping to run across Space Crusade in someones attic for so long now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I had Hero Quest and an expansion, I painted most of the miniatures but all my mates thought it was either too nerdy to play or not nerdy enough to be worth playing so it never really got used.

Must pay a visit to the Parentals' Attic and see if it is still about.

Yeah ,im tempted to paint them but thats a nerdhole I may never escape from! Tbh im going to stick em on adverts in a few days . Hopefully get something towards my pc engine/ mega cd fund:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Off to the Dublin Flea Market today... hopefully I find something good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Hi guys back after nearly a years brack from dealing with retro games

Anyway I picked up
    Warcraft 2 the dark saga PS1
    Vandal hearts PS1
    And psychonauts PS 2

All are boxed amd look like new

So what are the games like and are the worth selling on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

Which of the following is most amusing:
    • I don't have a HMDI compatible monitor for this (yet)
    • I'm not sure my USB chargers could power this
    Hee hee! Also I got a set of game bit drivers too this week for opening up some carts.

206511.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

You might get away with power the Pi from a normal USB socket on your computer.

At least the time I tried it powered up fine.
    I'd say its only when its under full stress of the gpu and cpu together it will fail to operate correctly, and with usb peripherals added.

Here's the playstation goodness that arrived on Friday:

WawN1.jpg

An Infrared DVD Remote with a huge blister pack and manual!
    The manual is probably thicker than the manual that comes with a PS3's during these recessionary times.
    Obviously the packaging was manufactured back in the Celtic Tiger days.

Unfortunately for me, I assumed my SCPH-30000 PS2 had an infra-red sensor, which it doesn't,
    and only now I found out there's a different remote for my model which uses a wireless USB dongle instead. :(

And at the bottom of that pic, is an 2m RGB Scart cable for the PS1 & PS2,
    with a DVD <-> Game switch on the connector, as the DVD mode appears Green through RGB on a PS2.
    The picture quality is fantastic, and setting the PS2 to RGB seems to put it into a higher resolution, so fonts and logos are actually smaller and clearer.

It also has an additional Stereo Phono output for hooking upto amps,
    and the yellow phono socket on the connector is a Namco Gun Con input,
    which gives you a clue on what's about to come next....

V7QhB.jpg

On the left is a Namco Gun Con 2, with a phono extender and Time Crisis 2,
    and on the right is a Logic3 Light Blaster P99G2 and Time Crisis 3.

Unfortunately the light sensor on the Light blaster is ****ed,
    as it's only working properly when it's 1 foot away from the screen.
    The Gun Con works practically from any distance.

Shame really as the recoil on the Light blaster is fantastic.

I will have a video of the problem uploaded soon, and will be asking the seller for a refund.
    Might try and buy another Light Blaster, and hold onto this for parts.

Here's the flip side of the gun, so you can see what kind of functions are on offer:

G2e9K.jpg

Here's a video of the faulty light sensor:

What you see is the calibration screen for Gunfighter II: Revenge of Jesse James.

You might need to fullscreen it and watch it in 720p so you can see the yellow crosshair.

In the first half of the video I'm using the Gun Con 2, stepping back a foot each time.

Notice the how the yellow crosshair goes to the sides of the screen perfectly.

But when I use Light Blaster, the crosshair will only go to the sides from 1 foot away.

At 3 feet I can't even get it outside the small circle,
    and at 4 feet, it won't even register on the screen.

Master of the Universe

Be careful with that logic 3, I nearly took my face off with it a few times. The snap from it is crazy!

• Advertisement

Be careful with that logic 3, I nearly took my face off with it a few times. The snap from it is crazy!

Yeah, I think I got my one from you o1s1n and it does have some kick on it. A surprising amount of it :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement