Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

OwaynOTT wrote: »

When I moved recently, they filled a van on their own did the books.

There was a postman in California, I think, who had a massive collection of books. Thousands! Some very rare first editions as well, like actual r@re. He died alone, pretty much in poverty and then the books were sold for serious sums. Don't think he even read the books.
    Wish could find a link.

Im not into collecting books myself, but I was in a cousin's house recently and he owns a first edition of Breakfast of Champions, signed by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. himself. You often hear talk of grails around these parts - that is a ****ing grail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,180 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Im not into collecting books myself, but I was in a cousin's house recently and he owns a first edition of Breakfast of Champions, signed by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. himself. You often hear talk of grails around these parts - that is a ****ing grail.

Seems to go for a thousand dollars? I still rate my Arnie tee higher :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have so far spent the last hour updating and installing and watching non interactive cut scenes since I put Yakuza 3 into the PS3 drive... Do I get to do something soon I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have so far spent the last hour updating and installing and watching non interactive cut scenes since I put Yakuza 3 into the PS3 drive... Do I get to do something soon I wonder?

It only does everything though :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah ha, just got to do some tutorials for fighting, some more cut scenes...
    Is there a game in here somewhere?
    Punch, Punch, Smack in the face with a bin.... [sarcasm]Fantastic![/sarcasm]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Fair play to Pyongyang for alerting ya Andrew. He's like Batman swooping in to save the day from his self-imposed exile. 'He's the hero A&R deserves etc'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

My appetite for crap console knows no ends :) Needs a good wash and I'll need to invest in an eeprom programmer to make the most of it.

8122810374_1afb82bb8b_c.jpg

A friend of mine had one of those years ago when we were in primary school, think he had Burnin' Rubber for it :D

They're 8bit arn't they? What can you do with the eeprom programmer for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Well it's the big Bday today, got me some Learn with Pokemon typing adventure:)

Also got a free Sony Trinitron.. might put it up for trade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

pdbhp wrote: »
    Well it's the big Bday today, got me some Learn with Pokemon typing adventure:)

Also got a free Sony Trinitron.. might put it up for trade

Are these actually that good? We've a 32" one and I think I'v never used it... ever.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    A friend of mine had one of those years ago when we were in primary school, think he had Burnin' Rubber for it :D

They're 8bit arn't they? What can you do with the eeprom programmer for it?

8bit Z80 processor alright, pretty rubbish with only 19 (or so) carts released and some at utterly stupid prices.

Its possible to convert some of the CPC games so they're playable on this though. No flash carts available so eeproms are the only way, can create multigame carts as well.

Programmer would be handy for messing with the Jaguar as well other bits and pieces :D

Are these actually that good? We've a 32" one and I think I'v never used it... ever.

For retro consoles they're the poodles privates..

Master of the Universe

Pure flat, 4:3 ones are the business!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

My appetite for crap console knows no ends :) Needs a good wash and I'll need to invest in an eeprom programmer to make the most of it.

8122810374_1afb82bb8b_c.jpg

I've been meaning to get one myself. I used to have a CPC 464 plus and it had the cart slow on the side with Basic/Burnin Rubber.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Pure flat, 4:3 ones are the business!

I think this one is pure flat, it came from my boss and there's no way he gets crap stuff, he is filthy stinking rich after all.

I probably won't keep it due to space limitations and the impending danger coming from she who must be obeyed.

Steve SI wrote: »
    I've been meaning to get one myself. I used to have a CPC 464 plus and it had the cart slow on the side with Basic/Burnin Rubber.

Surely you mean two :D

Looking forward to trying to getting Manic Miner running on this :p

Master of the Universe

does it feel much heavier than it should for its size? flat crts are like carrying blocks of lead!

Surely you mean two :D

Looking forward to trying to getting Manic Miner running on this :p

Shouldn't that be on the proper hardware, the glorious Spectrum 48k!
    I preferred it to Jet Set Willy actually.
    Monty on the Run was pretty great, Technician Ted was great too.
    Dynamite Dan II, now that was class.

o1s1n wrote: »
    does it feel much heavier than it should for its size? flat crts are like carrying blocks of lead!

Yes it weighs a ton, 2 of us struggled to carry it out of the job earlier.

Edit: It's also really unbalanced as all the weight is in the screen making it extremly unwieldy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I've developed a technique for carrying those trinitons, get someone else to do it!
    Seriously though, I carried the 32inch one I have for my recent move and I was out of action for at least a month after.
    A blanket is a godsend and then just drag that beast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Yeah I'v a flatscreen one too;
    looks like this (except it's 32")
    $T2eC16RHJHoE9n3Ke97GBQQMEW,TjQ~~48_79.JPG
    Must hookup a few things and see how it looks..... My modern sony TV seems to cut the screen in half when playing games :mad:

I've developed a technique for carrying those trinitons, get someone else to do it!
    Seriously though, I carried the 32inch one I have for my recent move and I was out of action for at least a month after.
    A blanket is a godsend and then just drag that beast.

Or, have an attractive ladee watch you, you'd be amazed at the manly feats you are capable of with a lovely girl watching you!

Yeah I'v a flatscreen one too;
    looks like this (except it's 32")
    $T2eC16RHJHoE9n3Ke97GBQQMEW,TjQ~~48_79.JPG
    Must hookup a few things and see how it looks..... My modern sony TV seems to cut the screen in half when playing games :mad:

That looks exactly like the one I got even down to the stand.

Does the right hand side open up sci fi like to reveal inputs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

That looks exactly like the one I got even down to the stand.

Does the right hand side open up sci fi like to reveal inputs?

That's the one I have and the right hand does pop open to reveal a button panel.

There heavy but you'd be okay if there was just some way to grasp it.

A fu@kin' handle please sony, that's all I ask!

That's the one I have and the right hand does pop open to reveal a button panel.

There heavy but you'd be okay if there was just some way to grasp it.

A fu@kin' handle please sony, that's all I ask!

A handle would add a certain amount of portability but a set of suitcase wheels and you could ride that sucker all the way home without having to throw a disc.

Well the 29" Trinitron I sold to o1s1n should really comes with one of these

newandused.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Yeah, you're in for an awful lot of that with Yakuza 3. It gets good eventually. You can buy virtual gyodon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

nothing beats the 14" Mitsubishi Black Diamond for retro gaming

Master of the Universe

Yes it weighs a ton, 2 of us struggled to carry it out of the job earlier.

Edit: It's also really unbalanced as all the weight is in the screen making it extremly unwieldy

My one is crazy unbalanced too. I made the mistake of first setting it down on a bed - Bad idea!

Here's a piccy

DSC_0658.jpg

So far that TV unit thing hasnt collapsed under the weight. I'm well impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Theres a charity shop by me that has loads of TV's for 5-15 euro. I'll be out on monday to pick up a big one and a small one.

Any particular brands to look out for or just the usual really?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement