Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Hopefully we will all own "Earthbound" soon enough.....god speed EnterNow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Hopefully we will all own "Earthbound" soon enough.....god speed EnterNow!

It's weird, it's not 100% the real thing, but to me personally anyway, having Earthbound play from a real cart, the Japanese version of the same game in fact, elevates it above playing it on a flash cart.

Neither solution is genuine, but I think a conversion of the Jap cart into the US region is close enough. It'll certainly do me, & I'll look at it and smile knowing I havn't just paid $200/300 for basically the same thing with one chip different out of all the chips on the cart the same.

It's still a repro really whatever way you look at it, but at least it will be a more elegant solution to the usual Darxide type repros. No game will be sacrificed, as the cart will still be the same game. You still buy it, as you need the original in the forst place, & you get all the official box/cart artwork & manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Japanese games are way cooler sure as we all know :P

Any its an elegant solution to a very expensive problem the way I see it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Well, if the mod/hack works Enternow as I expect it will you could probably just keep making these and sticking them up on ebay and I'd say you'd sell as many as you can make.
    Nice little bit of extra income to have on the side.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Well, if the mod/hack works Enternow as I expect it will you could probably just keep making these and sticking them up on ebay and I'd say you'd sell as many as you can make.
    Nice little bit of extra income to have on the side.

Tbh, not sure I'd take it that far. I don't want to be responsible for flooding a load of these carts onto the market. It's really only a personal solution to an 'expensive problem', which I'd offer to folks here if they were interested. As for retailing them, I'd see that as possibly something different, I dunno

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Tbh, not sure I'd take it that far. I don't want to be responsible for flooding a load of these carts onto the market. It's really only a personal solution to an 'expensive problem', which I'd offer to folks here if they were interested. As for retailing them, I'd see that as possibly something different, I dunno

Euro-money1.jpg

Think of all the nice retro things you could buy, guilt free with your earnings :):):D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Like Earthbound, for example.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Like Earthbound, for example.

Lol, brilliant :D

Yeah Steve, that pic does change things somewhat. I tell you what, with your Jap connections you buy up a load of Mother 2 carts, I'll convert them, & you can retail them through Gadunky & we can both make enough to buy Earthbound :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Damn!
    Then, contrary to a recent posters economic POV, the price of Mother 2 will be driven up, making it almost as expensive as Earthbound to begin with!!!!
    Imagine the rush on them if EnterNow has discovered an alchemists dream, turning lead into gold, figuratively speaking of course!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Damn!
    Then, contrary to a recent posters economic POV, the price of Mother 2 will be driven up, making it almost as expensive as Earthbound to begin with!!!!
    Imagine the rush on them if EnterNow has discovered an alchemists dream, turning lead into gold, figuratively speaking of course!

It's all Steve's idea...blame him...:D

Joking aside, I doubt there'd be that much demand for them, and I couldn't see people paying any kind of decent coin for them. Plus the costs would add up:

x30 Mother 2 carts to start with @ roughly €30 for CIB versions
    Shipping for 30 Snes carts
    30 flash rom kits @ roughly €15 each
    postage for 30 flash rom kits
    The cost of converting 30 carts
    The cost of advertising 30 carts

I doubt any big money would be made doing it, it'd depend on the demand but again, I dunno if it would be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So I got something 'new' yesterday... whilst faffing around on the new Xbox dash I decided to check out Internet Explorer.

During the installation of IE I heard a loud pop either from the console or the PSU and got 3 RROD, secondary error code 0001.

Turned it off and tried it again - same thing. Left it for a bit and it powered back up again... went to start Jet Set Radio and it 3RROD on me again.

Microsoft have said that it's out of warranty and won't repair it for me. This unit has never been touched never been opened and to be perfectly honest it has barely been used in the two years that I've had it.

So yeah I'm more than a little bit pissed off... I might have a spare original PSU I can test it with later... I'm really hoping it's not the console itself.

Achilles wrote: »
    So I got something 'new' yesterday... whilst faffing around on the new Xbox dash I decided to check out Internet Explorer.

During the installation of IE I heard a loud pop either from the console or the PSU and got 3 RROD, secondary error code 0001.

Turned it off and tried it again - same thing. Left it for a bit and it powered back up again... went to start Jet Set Radio and it 3RROD on me again.

Microsoft have said that it's out of warranty and won't repair it for me. This unit has never been touched never been opened and to be perfectly honest it has barely been used in the two years that I've had it.

So yeah I'm more than a little bit pissed off... I might have a spare original PSU I can test it with later... I'm really hoping it's not the console itself.

Ah yes, modern gen consoles, about as reliable as a plumbers estimate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

not that big a deal getting RROD, it'll only cost you the difference between what it costs to buy a 2nd hand arcade console on adverts and what you get for selling the old one as RROD.

This is the second one that I've owned now... I'm convinced that it's the power supply and I should have a compatible one around here somewhere to test it with but I can't be arsed right now.

I'm not buying another one... stuff that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think I am the expert on fupped up consoles here...
    My PS3 ylod'd on me last year, followed about a month later by my 360.
    There was no repairing them either, I sent them to "experts" and they got sent right back, no way to repair them.
    Both were out of warranty too, at least the PS3 had a little mileage, it was a launch 60gb model, the 360 was my third and I still h@te the b@st@rd!
    So, I had a think and sold every stitch of PS3 stuff I owned and used the €200 I made to buy an on sale 250gb 360 in HMV, the slim model.
    Then I picked up a slim model PS3 this summer and it relatively unplayed....

But, the less sophisticated of the collection didn't get away scot free either.
    My NES cart connnector needs replacing.... again.
    My Gamegear needs a new screen, as the bog standard one sucks.
    The reset button on my Famicom isn't working.
    My Famicom controllers need refreshing.
    And I am on my second Wii, as the Wiiconnect24 fries the internals with heat, allegedly. When it's going you see contrast problems on screen followed by tearing and breaking up of the visuals, and that's starting to go on my current Wii as well :(
    Lets hope the Wii U has decent Wii compatibility so I can play my Wii back catalogue, whenever it is that I decide to buy one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Speaking of rare games, do any of us actually own that here?

I own it.
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    There's at least one, he/she posted it a good while back. Can't remember who though.

I'm a he.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I'm a he.

Just being pc, I didn't want to assume. Look where that got atavan! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,177 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I thought Atavan was a girl until I met him at a beers :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Well it can't be Steve, coz that'd be two of them...ghostchant maybe whos a Nintendo nut?

I bloody wish

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think I am the expert on fupped up consoles here...
    My PS3 ylod'd on me last year, followed about a month later by my 360.
    There was no repairing them either, I sent them to "experts" and they got sent right back, no way to repair them.
    Both were out of warranty too, at least the PS3 had a little mileage, it was a launch 60gb model, the 360 was my third and I still h@te the b@st@rd!
    So, I had a think and sold every stitch of PS3 stuff I owned and used the €200 I made to buy an on sale 250gb 360 in HMV, the slim model.
    Then I picked up a slim model PS3 this summer and it relatively unplayed....

But, the less sophisticated of the collection didn't get away scot free either.
    My NES cart connnector needs replacing.... again.
    My Gamegear needs a new screen, as the bog standard one sucks.
    The reset button on my Famicom isn't working.
    My Famicom controllers need refreshing.
    And I am on my second Wii, as the Wiiconnect24 fries the internals with heat, allegedly. When it's going you see contrast problems on screen followed by tearing and breaking up of the visuals, and that's starting to go on my current Wii as well :(
    Lets hope the Wii U has decent Wii compatibility so I can play my Wii back catalogue, whenever it is that I decide to buy one!

Friends of mine back in the day used to give me their broken 360 consoles after buying new ones as they knew that I used to repair them for cash in hand when I was unemployed.

If I could really be arsed I could cobble together bits of old 360s and build a new one if I really had to (and have to mess with probing the board for the correct DVD drive key etc) but again... can't really be arsed.

I wouldn't mind only I have just paid for another year's gold when I had silver for ages and still really want to complete the HD versions of Jet Set Radio and Sonic Adventure 2.

I have a PS3 sitting here too that hardly ever sees any use because I (for some reason) can't let go of the fact that it's jailbroken... even though that causes me not to be able to play newer games on it.

• Advertisement

Achilles wrote: »

I have a PS3 sitting here too that hardly ever sees any use because I (for some reason) can't let go of the fact that it's jailbroken... even though that causes me not to be able to play newer games on it.

Not really a problem any more :)
    You should check out some of the new custom firmware's released over the last week or so.

Not really a problem any more :)
    You should check out some of the new custom firmware's released over the last week or so.

That's how up to date I've been keeping with everything... *goes browsing*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Ianobeano

Within less than a week I've bought TWO Dreamcasts......... think someone's buying habit here is rubbing off on me......... ;)

Ianobeano wrote: »
    Within less than a week I've bought TWO Dreamcasts......... think someone's buying habit here is rubbing off on me......... ;)

One day people will understand the merits of buying/owning 2 or more of everything :)
    There really isn't anything wrong with owning 14 3DO's, there just isnt :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Ianobeano

One day people will understand the merits of buying/owning 2 or more of everything :)
    There really isn't anything wrong with owning 14 3DO's, there just isnt :o

"It's a backup honey, just in case the other goes belly up...." at least, that's what I'll be telling herself...... well........ if she notices........ :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,177 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Finally got my hands on that Turbo Everdrive. I know I'm usually among the first to bitch and moan about flash cards ruining collecting, but it really does kick a lot of arse. There's even a handy little red LED on the PCB so you can tell when the console is powered on.

Gave Soldier Blade a quick blast. Have emulated it a lot, but first time on real hardware - so much fun!

These games really look great. They kind of feel like a step between the NES and Snes if you know what I mean.

IMG_0329.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Don't underestimate the power of the SD card slot :)

Don't underestimate the power of the SD card slot :)

Rumour has it Cidey has it written into his will, that he's to be cremated with all the sd related products

I'm not sure which I like more... The TG16 with Turbo Everdrive or the fact that it's sitting in front of an NTSC-J Sega Saturn. :-)

• Advertisement

Rumour has it Cidey has it written into his will, that he's to be cremated with all the sd related products

BLASPHEMER.jpg

But yes, probably, unless Kerbdog can pry the coffin open before they dump it in the nearest sewer.... (us atheists are pretty pragmatic when it comes to burial rites)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement