Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is wind energy saving me ?

Options
  • 23-05-2012 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

It says on my bill that the PSO levy is paying for renewables, however, how much are renewables saving on my bill ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Fabo,

Savings depend on individual household usage so I would be unable to give a specific figure. Just some additional information re the PSO levy: this is a government charge towards the purchase of peat-generated electricity and the output of renewable, sustainable or alternative forms of energy purchased under various government schemes. Here is a link to the relevant page on the Commission For Energy Regulation's (CER) website.

Are you on one of our price-plans, which offer discounts for direct debit and online billing, as well as for Dual Fuel if the customer opts for gas with Electric Ireland?

Also, here is a page on our website with energy-saving tips, such as our Appliance Calculator, which helps customers keep track of their usage.

Regards :)
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Fabo wrote:
    how much are renewables saving on my bill ?

Renewables aren't saving anything on your bill.

However, you may derive some solace from the fact that they may just save the planet... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Priori wrote: »

However, you may derive some solace from the fact that they may just save the planet... ;)

there actually doing more damage in Ireland!!!

In Ireland when the wind blows, the wind turbines must supply the power, this forces the fossil fuel plants to operate at reduced capcity which in turns leads to poorer efficency. Hence inreasing CO2 output.

ted1 wrote: »
    there actually doing more damage in Ireland!!!

In Ireland when the wind blows, the wind turbines must supply the power, this forces the fossil fuel plants to operate at reduced capcity which in turns leads to poorer efficency. Hence inreasing CO2 output.

That's interesting. Can you direct me to your sources? (not doubting what you say, would just like to read more of this)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Fabo

well they havent been able to close down any conventional plant so its doubtful whether they are saving the planet just adding to the problem as the other poster has said.
    Residents group Communities Acting Together said it was angered last week to discover that Irish electricity firm ESB was ready to cut down trees on a major roundabout in Pontardawe.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Swansea-Valley-wind-farm-protestors-admit-tree/story-16183265-detail/story.html

as una has said though some of the pso is going to peat bogs, not all is going to wind and elec ire are forced to buy wind power due to commitments given by the last govt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Fabo

That's interesting. Can you direct me to your sources? (not doubting what you say, would just like to read more of this)

1 ) Impact of wind power Generation in ireland on the Operational
    plant and the economic implications . E S B National Grid February
    2004 Chapter 6 on page 24 line 7 , 8 , 9 , and 10 from
    the top .

2 ) Eirgrid Adequacy report 2010 - 2016, Page 62 table A - 5 .
    Also appendix 2 showing increase in conventional plant to cater for wind .

3 ) The Bentek study on ERCOT USA . Available as a download .

4 ) E On Netz 2005 report on wind energy. They operate one fifth of germanys capacity . Page 2 states that 48 k mega watt only resulted in
    2 kmw of firm capacity .

5 ) cityvas report by ruth lea .

6 ) stuart and young report for the john muir trust 2011

7 ) report by prof gordon hughes . Of edinburgh university 2012 .

8 ) irish academy of engineers energy policy . Pages 20 - 26 .

9) web page of kees le pair physcist which is translated to english from dutch
    . Contains report from Fred udo on the irish system .

Thanks Fabo, a wealth of resources there! Only it does suggest that you knew the answer to your initial question before posting it? :)

Advertisement