Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scrap Metal - Cork Metal Co

• 23-05-2012 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

An elderly neighbour of mine got Cork Metal Co to collect a load of old farm machinery (5-10ton) and was told he would get €180/ton. The lad that collected it gave him a docket ( No weight on docket) but has'nt heard anything from Cork Metal Co.
    Anyone know how this normally works, do they send out a cheque or what?
    How do you know what weight the load was?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

They can weigh the truck when they get back to the company. They'll know the empty weight of the truck, so they can calculate it from that.
    I'd give them a ring ASAP and let them know that you have a fair idea of what weight it was, in case they try and get one over on ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭19driver83

pakalasa wrote: »
    They can weigh the truck when they get back to the company. They'll know the empty weight of the truck, so they can calculate it from that.
    I'd give them a ring ASAP and let them know that you have a fair idea of what weight it was, in case they try and get one over on ye.

Ya, I was thinking as much, i'll try to ring them tomorrow, not sure how to prove what weight was there tho!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

unless you weighed it BEFORE it was lifted, you cannot PROVE it. You have to accept that in this world, 99.9% of people are honest. The weight once weighed on their weighbridge is the weight that you will get paid on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

ravima wrote: »
    unless you weighed it BEFORE it was lifted, you cannot PROVE it. You have to accept that in this world, 99.9% of people are honest. The weight once weighed on their weighbridge is the weight that you will get paid on.

Scrap metal dealers are like cattle dealers. They wouldn't dream of underestimating the weight or value of the goods they are buying. It's a code of honour thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

Scrap metal dealers are like cattle dealers. They wouldn't dream of underestimating the weight or value of the goods they are buying. It's a code of honour thing!!

You forgot to add that they give a luck-penny :P:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Its a problem when selling scrap, alright. I know one place where weight is questionable. The farmer weighed his trailer of scrap before he went to the scrap place, he called into a grain merchant, the weight was a lot less when he weighed it at the scrap dealers. I wouldnt trust any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

19driver83 wrote: »
    An elderly neighbour of mine got Cork Metal Co to collect a load of old farm machinery (5-10ton) and was told he would get €180/ton. The lad that collected it gave him a docket ( No weight on docket) but has'nt heard anything from Cork Metal Co.
    Anyone know how this normally works, do they send out a cheque or what?
    How do you know what weight the load was?
    He needs to call up to them with his docket to get his payment in cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I had scrap collected a few years ago from someone claiming to be from cork
    metal truck came collected scrap but in a few days when I rang for my money
    I was told that the man didnt work for them and he was paid cash :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Some of them are decent enough. My brother who isnt the sharpest brought in a load and they hadnt cash at the time and told him to come back the next day.

I found the invoice 3 months later:rolleyes:

Went in expecting to have a job to get the money, But credit to them they paid straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

djmc wrote: »
    I had scrap collected a few years ago from someone claiming to be from cork
    metal truck came collected scrap but in a few days when I rang for my money
    I was told that the man didnt work for them and he was paid cash :mad:
    Did he call you boss by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭19driver83

Rang and they said they would post out a cheque.

€180 / tonne and they said there was over 4 tonne which was probably about correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

If you are trying to estimate the weight of steel, a block 1metre cubed, the size of an IBC container weighs about 7,800 Kg.

Advertisement