Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatever happened to slow dancing?

Options
  • 23-05-2012 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Apparently things have changed, whatever happened to slow dancing at discos? I'm sure it all ended around '97 or '98.I use to enjoy that. Niteclubs as we call them today use to be called Disco's and now all they play is fast club music where ever you go. In my opinion discos were more fun than nightclubs. The tradition of asking a girl you fancy up to dance when a slow song came on added a touch of romance and made it much easier to meet someone new. Nowadays clubs are crazy, people are drunks and the romance has died off. You try to chat a girl up and she is either drunk, rude or disinterested. So when exactly and how did this all change, or maybe it's because i'm getting old or something..haha. Teenage discos were alot more fun, where you didn't even have to chat up a girl, you'd ask them up to dance and you were in! :)

I remember dancing with a nice girl to the likes of "Savage Garden – Truly Madly Deeply" and "Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You"

Are there any discos or clubs in Dublin where they play slow dance songs where you ask a girl up to dance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Apparently things have changed, whatever happened to slow dancing at discos? I'm sure it all ended around '97 or '98.I use to enjoy that. Niteclubs as we call them today use to be called Disco's and now all they play is fast club music where ever you go. In my opinion discos were more fun than nightclubs.So when exactly and how did this all change, or maybe it's because i'm getting old or something..haha

I remember dancing with a nice girl to the likes of "Savage Garden – Truly Madly Deeply" and "Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You"

Are there any discos or clubs in Dublin where they play slow dance songs where you ask a girl up to dance?

All our bellies got bigger is what happened !!

Club Nassau on Nassau st Dublin is still the home of the slow set ! They are on the net

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Change in cultural trends me thinks.

I think the slow dancing is a while gone, much longer than 13 or so years.

Nightclubs were huge in London during the 1980s in the New Romantic movement, it was then that disco was declining in popular culture.

There was also a shift in the way artists produced music at the time, and that inevitably led to the development of modern techno and fast club.

You had the keyboard synthesizer and drum machine being used to create music artificially and there was lesser use of traditional instruments as you would have had with the likes of The Carpenters and other forms of earlier rock and pop bands.

The club scene seems to be huge nowadays, and I can only assume it is one phase in the development of music, but I certainly agree slow dancing should come back, it was much better for men to meet women in those settings.

Edit : +1 on mentioning Savage Garden, made some of the best slow pop songs in the past 20 years IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Ah, the Erection Section, that takes me back....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Slowset is dead...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

Like this one??

oops
    can't post youtubey-linky-thingy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=88faQNjxK8Y

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Alas this is not a Gig nor and event.

Fini.

This discussion has been closed.