Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAS Scheme - Landlord Query

Options
  • 23-05-2012 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

we've been offered 6 weeks to get a house ready for the RAS Scheme -current tenant pushing to get this. I have a few Qn's on this

The corporation is offering Eur 850 PM for the house - current rent is 925 PM. Is this a reasonable offer for what your getting?

Minimun 4 years offered for the scheme - can the Corporation change the rent during the contract period?

Do the Corporation do any maintenance for the property?

Any general feedback on anyone gone through the process with their investment property greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Difference is 75 Euro, on a private rent you could expect it to be empty for 3 months with the added costs of doing up between tenants. If you have a guranteed tenant for four years you should jump on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Sounds like a great deal to me.

Remember that you will be exempt from the NPPR tax of €200 too, so factor that in.

Assuming an average of 10 month tenancy from private renters, you are miles ahead if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

One of the main issues Lanslords have with RAS is they have no say in what tenants are accommodated. In your case you have already vetted the tenant, so it's a no brainer to me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Sounds like a great deal to me.

Remember that you will be exempt from the NPPR tax of €200 too, so factor that in.

Assuming an average of 10 month tenancy from private renters, you are miles ahead if you ask me.

I think I remember hearing the exemption from the NPPR has been done away with or will be done away with, but again you should double check this with the corporation.

Does sound like a great deal to me too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭black & white

Exemption for NPPR is gone from this year. The rent you agree will be fixed for 2 years ( in Clare anyway ) and you cannot raise it during this time. They usually pay below the market rate because you are guaranteed the money each month.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

caitbob wrote: »
    Do the Corporation do any maintenance for the property?

Not sure about Dublin but in other areas the landlord is responsible for maintenance.

Also if there is anti social behaviour, the landlord is responsible. If you have a tenant already then do you need to go into the RAS?

You are responsible for insurance, NPPR, household charge etc.

If your tenant moves on then the council can put who they want into your house. This could be anybody!

I don't think there has been a huge take up in these schemes (but may be wrong).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Not sure about Dublin but in other areas the landlord is responsible for maintenance.

Also if there is anti social behaviour, the landlord is responsible. If you have a tenant already then do you need to go into the RAS?

You are responsible for insurance, NPPR, household charge etc.

If your tenant moves on then the council can put who they want into your house. This could be anybody!

I don't think there has been a huge take up in these schemes (but may be wrong).

If the tenant is in receipt of RA for 18months the LA's are notified and the tenant is told that the RA is going to be stopped and they have to go into a RAS property. Its up to the tenant then to get their landlord on board or find another house owned by a landlord willing to sign up.

Advertisement