Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

masters in law ?

• 23-05-2012 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭

I have a law degree. Im feeling a bit lost at the moment. I done it at night.I have a mortgage so really the solicitor or barrister route is out. Would a masters in law or anything help if i dont want to become a solicitor. Are the masters just for wanna be solicitors ? I found lasw really interesting in college. I just lost i have al aw degree and dont know what to do with it. Im currently working behind a fish counter in a supermarket over about 4 people but i think i m better than that and reeally want to futher myself. Please any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I'd maybe adjust the attitude and/or work on the communications skills!

I think you need to set yourself a goal before doing a Masters - especially given how focused they tend to be. You may end up doing Post-Grad in something completely different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

If you get a solicitor training contract with a large firm, your costs are (usually) paid, so I wouldn't completely write off the solicitor route.

Career-wise, I don't see what a Masters in Law gets you that an undergrad in Law does not. I did a Masters and found it was basically just like an extra year of undergrad study, but does help the CV.

I think, rather than looking at the Masters as an end in itself, you should consider what it is you are aiming for. Forking over up to €8k in some cases - especially when you already have a mortgage to pay - with no end in mind doesn't sound like a great idea. There are a lot of other law-based courses and diplomas that you could take if you are interested in pursuing a career in law.

Advertisement