Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ocean to City

Options
  • 23-05-2012 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Anyone planning on doing the Ocean to City race in Cork on the June bank holiday weekend? I'm planning on doing it in a touring kayak and was wondering if anyone has past experience of the race? Take the city route or head out around Roches point? Any advice is appreciated... Really looking forward to it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Did it the first couple of years it was on, but not since. Great day out. It can get a bit rough out near roches point and usually that leg gets cancelled if that happens...strong currents anyway so youre not missing much.

On the way into the city, stay towards the little island side....much shorter. If you go towards the rochestown side, its easy to get sucked into lough mahon and take a substantial detour..enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I did it last year but wasn't available this year. next year again hopefully. in a touring yak you wont be going to roches point. thats only for the curruchs. iirc the yak route is
    • curraghbinny
    • slipbank
    • cobh
    • monkstown
    • glenbrook
    • little island
    • up the lee
    its a tough aul day and youll be demoralised by the racing yaks going past you at forty knots dispite leaving an hour after you..:(
    I found the stretch along little island/lough mahon to be the killer. just went on forever and a lot of the launches caught up to me there so it was bouncy.

but youll feel great having completed it, getting out and calling a pint was absolutely delightful

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Irishrm

Thanks for the feedback lads, appreciate it. Really looking forward to it now, drop the kayak off tomorrow night and get myself a good nights sleep. Not sure how I feel about not heading out to Roches point, was looking forward to the challenge but also a bit worried about what to expect.

Any last minute recommendations on what I should bring with me? Loads of food and drink obviously, sun screen, hat...

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

You won't be going out to the point. Just enjoy the lovely weather as the route map will have it all on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

just looking out the window at the cross river ferry. Looks beautiful out there. Enjoy the race everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Someone else

I heard one of the 4 dragon boats sank.....

Funny comment on VHF at end of race "I know some good swimming clubs around Cork you could recommend to your Dragon boat crew" !!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Dragon boat was recovered.

The rescue was excellent, the only way to describe it. The lower harbour was very challenging and they were available in numbers and reacted quickly.

Some others suffered as well but the radio traffic was informative.

Advertisement