Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to accept replacement for faulty goods?

Options
  • 23-05-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I went into a well known hardware store last week to get 2 keys cut. Neither of them would fit into the lock so I returned and they said they would re-cut them. Again neither would work. I asked for a refund when I brought them back and I was told they couldn't refund but that they would cut them again. They still won't fit the lock! Am I within my rights to demand a refund or do I have to accept another replacement?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Whiplashy wrote: »
    I went into a well known hardware store last week to get 2 keys cut. Neither of them would fit into the lock so I returned and they said they would re-cut them. Again neither would work. I asked for a refund when I brought them back and I was told they couldn't refund but that they would cut them again. They still won't fit the lock! Am I within my rights to demand a refund or do I have to accept another replacement?

For such a low value transaction the best thing to do is to accept another replacement.

Technically you don't have to accept the replacement but doing so would mean a trip to the SCC and a 25 euro fee for the pleasure. I doubt your keys being cut cost 25 quid?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The general understanding is that a seller is entitled to one shot at replacement (and, irrelevant in this situation, one shot at repair). If a satisfactory replacement or repair is not effected, you are entitled to a refund of your money.

The general understanding is that a seller is entitled to one shot at replacement (and, irrelevant in this situation, one shot at repair). If a satisfactory replacement or repair is not effected, you are entitled to a refund of your money.

While true you would have to go to SCC to get the refund if the retailer is not coughing it up.

Not so. I find that well-mannered assertiveness works fairly well in most cases. And when it doesn't, I make sure to conduct the argument in earshot of other customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Whiplashy wrote: »

This happened to me before. After three attempts I lost patience and demanded (and got) a refund. The next hardware store I went to cut keys for me which worked fine.

I think you have given them enough opportunities - the keys which they cut do not work in your lock, they won't do anything differently the next time. Tell them you have wasted enough time and ask for a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Just be careful they don't screw up the master key. That happened to us. We brought a key in to be cut, the first time the new key didn't work but the master key worked fine.

Second time, they made the master key match the new key and then both keys didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

take the barrel out of the door and bring it with you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

jameshayes wrote: »
    take the barrel out of the door and bring it with you

That's a good idea but it's an office key. Security would kill me

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

Send him a letter by registered post outlining the dispute and asking for a refund. Explain that you've allowed him a chance at replacement and that it doesn't work.

The important bit is the registered post part. He'll see that you're starting a paper trail and this might just be enough for him to cop on to himself. Hell, say small claims court in the letter and the fact that it's registered will probably make him believe it.

The cost of getting a couple of keys cut, unless they are a special type of key, is nearly trivial - just a few euros.

I'd sooner rely on negotiating skills and, if needed, the willingness to make a bit of controlled noise. Personally, I wouldn't be inclined to let such a thing go because I dislike people messing me about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Limericks wrote: »
    For such a low value transaction the best thing to do is to accept another replacement.

Technically you don't have to accept the replacement but doing so would mean a trip to the SCC and a 25 euro fee for the pleasure. I doubt your keys being cut cost 25 quid?

They pay the fee if you win.

padocon wrote: »
    They pay the fee if you win.

No they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Limericks wrote: »
    No they don't.

I was almost sure you can sue for damages in the SCC under the Consumer Protection act. So this could include the cost of the court. Not one hundred percent sure but worth looking into OP.

Advertisement