Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Campus/Private Accommodation for UL.

Options
  • 23-05-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

So I'm going to (hopefully) be a first year in UL (engineering teaching), and I don't want to book on campus accommodation (prices are ridiculous). I like the sound of college court, looks good heard a lot about it. More than likely I'll be on my own so I'm just wondering are there any first years preferably out there who would like to rent a house on a weekly basis for the semester. Please, I've heard it a million times, 'go on campus for first year', I've my decision made, and I'm not changing. PM me or post here. Thanks! :)

Also, its roughly 75 a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

So I'm going to (hopefully) be a first year in UL (engineering teaching), and I don't want to book on campus accommodation (prices are ridiculous). I like the sound of college court, looks good heard a lot about it. More than likely I'll be on my own so I'm just wondering are there any first years preferably out there who would like to rent a house on a weekly basis for the semester. Please, I've heard it a million times, 'go on campus for first year', I've my decision made, and I'm not changing. PM me or post here. Thanks! :)

Also, its roughly 75 a week.

Unless you are already in touch with a landlord who has a house for you in college court, you'd be hard pushed to find any available now. College Court is the most popular off campus estate and any houses available are snapped up extremely quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

As regards on campus accommodation...75 for a house in college court is expensive- does that include bills? If not then it would probably work out as cheap to live in Plassey. If you're going on your own then that would be a much better option to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

As yesno said, supply may be a bit limited by now. If you contact ULSU they usually have a book/printout of landlords in the Castletroy area that have made it known they are renting to students.

From my own experience in College Court, 2 things to watch out for - insulation and internet access.

The house we rented (one of the houses closer to the front) only had single glazed windows. Now this wasn't an issue when we were viewing the house (lovely sunny day) but we felt it once a bit of cold set in, and spent a few more euro on heating too.

Regards the internet, it was supplied by Magnet when we moved in (cable - lovely speeds for the 6 of us in the house) but in December the landlord decided to move to 3 (a 3G dongle plugged into a wireless router - couldn't really cope with 6 of us in the house) instead.

I have no idea if this is representative of all of College Court - it's only my experience, but best of luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

As regards on campus accommodation...75 for a house in college court is expensive- does that include bills? If not then it would probably work out as cheap to live in Plassey. If you're going on your own then that would be a much better option to be honest

Yep that steep I was paying €65 for a room in birefield that included internet (Eircom), bins and a Sky Box. With extra for the heating and electricity (which only cost me an extra €50 for half a year)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 OisinOGorman

Ok, yes i am a little off on the price. So, is there any other first years out there looking for off campus accom? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 djbraveheart

private accomodations are avaible for international students? and please can somebody tell me how much per week

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AndrewFla

If you contact ULSU they usually have a book/printout of landlords in the Castletroy area that have made it known they are renting to students.

It's actually the UL Accommodation Office that produces that booklet - contact being Rose Merrigan on 061202331 or rose.merrigan@ul.ie to request a pdf of the booklet.

Best of luck OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 EmmaDoc

Hey, UL is my first choice and im also looking for off campus accommodation..i know no girls atal in limerick and i would be hopin to live with 1st years if possible.. any 1st year girls out there that are in the same situation as me..please help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd really advise living on campus or in a student village in first year. When I lived in Courtyard they even supplied bin bags!! It looks expensive on the face of it, but by the time you have all bills added in, it can work out more expensive to live off campus unless you pick somewhere further away like Curragh Birin or Bru na Gruadan (the houses there are newer and better, but cheaper as they're not generally student targeted)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 EmmaDoc

how do ya get into the student villages?? Plassey is supposed to be good for 1st yrs nd cheap:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ChickenZombie

I live in College Court... Moved in early to get choice... Single unit accommodation...

It's main advantage is being right next to uni. It may cost a premium for that but it means no coffees / teas / meals on campus & no travel time or costs.

Being me, I'd rather fork out for a bit of comfort and convenience rather than scrimping and suffering, but not everyone can do so...

Best of luck in your search...

CZ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Being me, I'd rather fork out for a bit of comfort and convenience rather than scrimping and suffering

I'm the same way myself, which is why I chose Dromroe last year. Burnt a serious hole in my pocket, but the fact that you actually did not have to leave campus to go home was well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 djbraveheart

if anybody looks for international postgraduate student for house share, contact me please

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Guys there's an accommodation sticky thread at the top of the forums

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=299781

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

Theres a distinct possibility that i'll be ending up in UL if i dont get my first two choices! But i'd say i'll be better discussing it next week once my results gimme an idea of whats happening :o but count me as a potential interested party :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SavC

EmmaDoc wrote: »
    Hey, UL is my first choice and im also looking for off campus accommodation..i know no girls atal in limerick and i would be hopin to live with 1st years if possible.. any 1st year girls out there that are in the same situation as me..please help:)
    Thomond still has room on campus, if thats any help! Im a first year too and only applied yesterday and got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 OisinOGorman

Thanks for all the reply's. Sorted everything out and now im booked into kilmurry, doing environmental science. :D Anyone else heading for Kilmurry?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 darinaaa

I tried to book on campus yesterday and paid a deposit but they told me it has been booked out since early monday morning? :eek: are they lying to me? :( planned to live on campus have no where now..homeless i guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

darinaaa wrote: »
    I tried to book on campus yesterday and paid a deposit but they told me it has been booked out since early monday morning? :eek: are they lying to me? :( planned to live on campus have no where now..homeless i guess!

Where did you try to book?

Ring the village managers in Thomond/Cappa, they might be able to hook you up.

I'd say Dromroe and Plassey are more than likely full by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 victoria.eliza

Same thing happened to me. They received my deposit by mail yesterday but say that Thomand is booked solid. I really don't want to live off campus, but I think I'm going to have to now:(

I rang and asked for anywhere on campus i had already sent in a deposit but they told me there isnt s room in any of the villages :/
    I really don't want to live off campus, but I think I'm going to have to nowfrown.gif
    Im the same victoria I dont want to be off campus on my own! and i rang most of the accomodation on the lists the college have and they are all gone too :( i dont know what to do :confused:

Im the same victoria I dont want to be off campus on my own! and i rang most of the accomodation on the lists the college have and they are all gone too :( i dont know what to do :confused:

I've been looking into Brookfield, Parkview Hall, and Groody. All of which are about 20 minutes walk away, if not more. At least, that's what I've pieced together from reviews... Not sure if Brookfield is even available, but I'd nearly go there just for the shuttle bus service. I tried calling earlier but the phone was engaged:pac:

I really want to room with fellow first years, which is putting me off most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

I'm staying in Groody, and from what I hear, they generally have rooms available, especially the 3 roomed. If you go to their website you fill in a little form and then they email you saying if they have rooms available or not.

I tried calling earlier but the phone was engaged:pac: .
    Same here but i rang courtyard they have rooms and a shuttle bus too
    I really want to room with fellow first years, which is putting me off most places.
    I'm the exact same i dont want to be put in a room with 4th years :/ I'd love a house with all first years it would be way better :D

I've heard a lot of good things about Groody but I cant get through to them..might pop in to them tomorrow and see if they can help me out :)

Same here but i rang courtyard they have rooms and a shuttle bus too

I'm the exact same i dont want to be put in a room with 4th years :/ I'd love a house with all first years it would be way better :D

I've heard a lot of good things about Groody but I cant get through to them..might pop in to them tomorrow and see if they can help me out :)

I think I'll be going up to see two or three places on Saturday (I'm from Cork) so I guess I'll just have to choose the best available. Hope Saturday isn't leaving it too late, but it's the only time I can go.

Im from galway so i have a bit to travel too but i'm scared to leave it any later! i'll ask tomorrow if there are many spaces in the different student villages (im having a look at them all) and let you know the places that have a good few if you want :D
    I'm gonna try my best to make sure im with all first years, more craic ;)

Im from galway so i have a bit to travel too but i'm scared to leave it any later! i'll ask tomorrow if there are many spaces in the different student villages (im having a look at them all) and let you know the places that have a good few if you want :D
    I'm gonna try my best to make sure im with all first years, more craic ;)

Thank you:D At least one bonus of living off-campus is that it's a fair bit cheaper than Thomond, even if it does mean extra walking ;)

Thank you:D At least one bonus of living off-campus is that it's a fair bit cheaper than Thomond, even if it does mean extra walking ;)
    No problem :D i know and if there's a shuttle bus its really just a win cos you'll have more money for food and going out :cool:
    and thomond is huge but its supposed to be a little boring :P

• Advertisement

No problem :D i know and if there's a shuttle bus its really just a win cos you'll have more money for food and going out :cool:
    and thomond is huge but its supposed to be a little boring :P

I heard that about Thomond myself actually. It put me off a little. I'm the quiet sort, but there's such a thing as too quiet;) I'd hate to live somewhere where it's all serious study 24/7. A healthy mixture of the two is what I'm after:D

Advertisement