Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Want to Exchange my Full Irish driving Licence to UK Licence before heading.

Options
  • 23-05-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi folks,

I have held a full Irish driving licence for the last 5 years and I will be moving permanently to Canada (Alberta) later on this year. I am thinking of minimizing the stress of having to sit the Alberta multi-staged driving tests all over again and to safe time by exchanging my Irish DL for a UK-DL, seeing as UK has a reciprocal arrangement with the province of Alberta.

Here's the catch: Alberta requires that the Uk -DL should have been valid for 2 years prior to exchanging it. The question is if i exchange my Irish-DL to UK-DL, will the UK-DL have the same validity (as in 'valid from' date) as my Irish licence or will it be valid from the date I exchange it?

Also, how easy is it to change over to UK-DL and also what is the process involved in changing UK-DL to Alberta DL. I will like anyone who has experience in this regards to share them please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 irishoverseas

ssa2010 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have held a full Irish driving licence for the last 5 years and I will be moving permanently to Canada (Alberta) later on this year. I am thinking of minimizing the stress of having to sit the Alberta multi-staged driving tests all over again and to safe time by exchanging my Irish DL for a UK-DL, seeing as UK has a reciprocal arrangement with the province of Alberta.

Here's the catch: Alberta requires that the Uk -DL should have been valid for 2 years prior to exchanging it. The question is if i exchange my Irish-DL to UK-DL, will the UK-DL have the same validity (as in 'valid from' date) as my Irish licence or will it be valid from the date I exchange it?

Also, how easy is it to change over to UK-DL and also what is the process involved in changing UK-DL to Alberta DL. I will like anyone who has experience in this regards to share them please.
    dont go to that trouble. canada recognises full irish driving licences and counts it as experience so all you need to do is produce the irish licence and they will clear you so that you can take a driving test right away. the test is really easy, takes about 20 mins and you can do it in any car that is insured, you dont need L plates or anything and you can get a driving test within 24 hours and can even do it on any sunday you like. It is really straight forward trust me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

** Moving from US/ Canada Travel to Living Abroad forum, where questions regarding living in Canada are best placed ***

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ssa2010

dont go to that trouble. canada recognises full irish driving licences and counts it as experience so all you need to do is produce the irish licence and they will clear you so that you can take a driving test right away. the test is really easy, takes about 20 mins and you can do it in any car that is insured, you dont need L plates or anything and you can get a driving test within 24 hours and can even do it on any sunday you like. It is really straight forward trust me

Thanks mate.

ssa

Advertisement