Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job sending me abroad

• 24-05-2012 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting sent away with work next week for a few days and I really hate flying. I couldn't really turn it down and I can't drink because it's for work.
    Anyone else who hates flying who's been in a similar situation go and advice.
    Any bit of turbulence and I have to hold on to the table tray for dear life. I really hate it.

What's the best place to sit do you think, front, middle or back?

I wish I could just be sedated for all flights so if it crashed I'd know nothing about it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Mile high club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

just get hammered before hand!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Back obviously...never heard of a plane reversing into a mountain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

All nighter the night before the flight, ask for a blankie and sleep it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

This will sort you Teddy.

• Advertisement

If I just ask a doctor for this because I'm flying will they prescribe it??

If you cant drink I dont think its a good idea to be high as a kite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

LordSmeg wrote: »
    All nighter the night before the flight, ask for a blankie and sleep it out.
    It's only a 3 hour flight, I won't be able to sleep I don't think no matter what.

I'm not going to be able to drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

There's meant to be quite a few storms around that time, OP. There could also be a terrorist attack. You'll probably crash one way or the other so no point worrying about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It's only a 3 hour flight, I won't be able to sleep I don't think no matter what.

Don't take any Nurofen plus, whatever you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Domo230 wrote: »
    Just watch a load of those aircraft disaster shows on discovery before hand.

or 'alive'. a friend of mine had it as his in flight movie a few years back. nice relaxing stuff to ease you through the long hall

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Don't come back - terror halved immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I wish my job would send me a broad.

Preferably a 6ft blonde from Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Beside the wings. At least it will be quick when all that aviation fuel your sitting on goes boom

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pixiel

Im a shocking nervous flyer too.
    Angry Bird and the head down seems to distract me for a good chunk of the flight these days!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Just watch a load of those aircraft disaster shows on discovery before hand.

KeithM89 wrote: »
    This will sort you Teddy.
    That doesn't actually worry me. It's falling out of the sky with people panicking and be thrown around before plunging in to water, jesus.
    Does hypnosis for this sort of thing actually work, I have my doubts.

Hopefully they will have a really good movie on to distract ya.......hopefully.

I had nothing to distract me for 4 hours on an 11 hour flight once but some Italian Opera. I nearly went insane.

Maybe this song will help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Well, if you die you die.

(sorry, that was no help..I love flying)

That doesn't actually worry me. It's falling out of the sky with people panicking and be thrown around before plunging in to water, jesus.
    Does hypnosis for this sort of thing actually work, I have my doubts.

Worse case scenario with that is your relaxed and kill an hour or so. Couldnt hurt to stick a couple tracks on the phone just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

If I just ask a doctor for this because I'm flying will they prescribe it??

Am, if you're genuinely really really panicky about it, then there's a good chance he/she will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

It's a hard one to get the head around alright. I used to be very nervous, would get a fit of the giggles during take-off. Really though, as soon as I accepted that I was in a tin-can hurtling through the sky I just got over it. I wouldn't recommend xanax if you need a clear head for work. Chewing gum and a book does the job for me :)

Nodin wrote: »
    Don't take any Nurofen plus, whatever you do.
    :pac: I won't be jacking off that's for sure

I used to love flying as a kid which is very strange.

I think if I was flying it myself I'd be happier for some ****ed up reason too.
    Read all the gory details of that Air France crash a few years ago.

A pilot on here gave a very "colourful" description of what the crash might have been like on the way down. I remember saying to myself after reading that I'm never flying again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

I can't drink because it's for work.

You lost me here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ask your doctor for some sleeping pills that only last a few hours, and let the aircraft people know you're taking the sleeping pills, so they won't panic when you are totally unresponsive.

I couldn't really turn it down and I can't drink because it's for work.
    Try to get a late flight so you can goto bed straight away when you land. This way, you can have a couple of drinks, sleep during the flight, and pass out in the hotel when you land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I'm getting sent away with work next week for a few days and I really hate flying. I couldn't really turn it down and I can't drink because it's for work.
    Any bit of turbulence and I have to hold on to the table tray for dear life. I really hate it.

Why do you hate flying kites so much OP? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

If the doctor won't prescribe the medication you want you could always show him this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76089607

That might persuade him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

I'm **** scared of flying. The girlfriend always manages to give out to me and she always says, "You're being a langer. Statistically you've got more chance of being run over by a bus than you have of dying in a plane crash."

People who died in a plane crash:

Buddy Holly
    Amelia Earhart
    Ritchie Valens
    The Big Bopper
    Patsy Cline
    Jim Reeves
    Otis Redding
    Rocky Marciano
    Duncan Edwards
    John Denver
    Ricky Nelson
    John F Kennedy Jr
    Steve Fossett

People who died by being run over by a bus:

Eh.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Hey Tedward, what airline is it??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

to the op i hope this helps :D

What would famous people be doing anywhere near a peasant wagon though?
    So famous people dont cross roads?

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Hey Tedward, what airline is it??
    Queasyjet i'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

You've got nothing to worry about. You should try smuggling some minor illegal thing on and off the plane. It'll give you a little buzz and distract from being thousands of feet in the air in a pressurised tube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

What's the best place to sit do you think, front, middle or back?

I wish I could just be sedated for all flights so if it crashed I'd know nothing about it.

Ted as a fellow TCN'er take the Xanex, whishey, beer and all other remedies prescribed and then you wont care where you're goin',

p.s. I afraid of flying too

21/25

What would famous people be doing anywhere near a peasant wagon though?
    So famous people dont cross roads?

Bassist from Metallica was run over by a bus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Just forget your Passport on the day, job done.

Maybe look at getting hypnosis treatment or something similar before you have to go again.

Shryke wrote: »
    No he wasnt.

He was in a bus when it crashed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Due to the see-saw effect, the best place to sit on a plane is in the middle. Turbulance is not as noticable at the wings as it is the front or back that bobs up and down in mid air. Don't drink, just eat a container of xanex and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Anything can happen at 20,000 feet.........

• Registered Users Posts: 14 reverselogic

I always find the fact that Ryanair have never had a fatal incident very comforting.

This is interesting, should give you a good idea of which airlines to avoid :)
    http://planecrashinfo.com/rates.htm

• Advertisement

Shryke wrote: »
    No he wasnt.

He was in a bus when it crashed.

I stand corrected if you're right. More to the point though, he died on a bus rather than a plane.
    OP will be grand. The one thing he shouldnt do is worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

have to fly myself next week, i hate it, nerves are gone even now, luckily i'm going on holiday so can neck a few vodkas beforehand :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I always find the fact that Ryanair have never had a fatal incident very comforting.

I don't, I think they must be due a big crash soon :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's not the flying you have to worry about.

It's the snakes.

Snakes on a plane!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mickey Lover

I hate flying too - explained to doctor got some stuff (not xanax) not as strong but made me feel more relaxed but not out of it iykwim ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 reverselogic

Skid wrote: »
    I don't, I think they must be due a big crash soon :(

Ha. I'm sure none of us like flying Ryanair, but their safety record is truly impeccable.

On another note, the link I posted is really interesting, I summed up the European data quickly.. Between 2002 and 2011 there were approximately 32 million flights completed by European airlines; in the same period, there were 5 fatal events..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Just man the f*ck up and stop being such a little bitch about it. Do you get scared on car journeys? I bet you don't but you're far far more likely to die horribly in a car accident than you are in a plane crash. I can never understand why people are scared of flying its so irrational.

Anyway I don't think dieing in a plane crash would be a bad way to go, it would be quick and easy. Unimaginable chaos and terror climaxing with a transition to eternal nothingness. Aaahhhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

It's only a job cos she's so fookin heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Your in more danger driving to the airport. Forget your worries, enjoy your flight.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Just man the f*ck up and stop being such a little bitch about it. Do you get scared on car journeys? I bet you don't but you're far far more likely to die horribly in a car accident than you are in a plane crash. I can never understand why people are scared of flying its so irrational.
    One does not simply walk in to Mordor. One does not simply understand the irrational.

• Advertisement
Advertisement