Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you faith in the FG/Labour government?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

misleading title...
    Have you faith in the FG/Labour government?
    no, not at all

but then you bring Europe into it and restrict it :(
    I have no faith in them doing anything except grabbing as much cash for themselves as they can manage.

I see what you mean. But is done now I suppose
    The other thing would be though that they are pretty much irellevent both nationally, on a European level and internationally. They are there basically to sign the paperwork and encourage us to have faith in the pied piper

A sad day for IRELAND. RIP.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I have no faith in any governmental party at the moment.

All elections and so forth are now a case of picking the person I think has the least chance to **** up the country; thats to say I achknowledge the person I choose will mess things up and be awful, but he/she will be the least awful person within the selection of people to choose from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I didn't think anyone actually had faith in them.
    We just have no better alternative.

I half agree - I understand what your saying but there are alternatives.
    They are just not getting a chance to be heard.

did Irish people ever have faith in any government?
    Is it even possible for us to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

TBH I think people were expecting miracles from this government that would never and could never happen.

We are in a recession. You cannot just wave a magic wand and cause money to appear out of thin air as many people seem to insist on believin.

EK & Co were left with a monumental mess, not of their doing and I don't see how we can realistically expect them to bring us out it without making the tough decisions they have made.

You all do realise that austerity or no austerity, recession or no recession, there will always be taxes, cuts, charges etc? That's no going to change no matter how many times we try to change goverments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

TBH I think people were expecting miracles from this government that would never and could never happen.

I don't know, I just think a lot of people expected them to stick to their guns about their policies and they haven't.

We are in a recession. You cannot just wave a magic wand and cause money to appear out of thin air as many people seem to insist on believin.

EK & Co were left with a monumental mess, not of their doing and I don't see how we can realistically expect them to bring us out it without making the tough decisions they have made.

You all do realise that austerity or no austerity, recession or no recession, there will always be taxes, cuts, charges etc? That's no going to change no matter how many times we try to change goverments.

The point is that austerity cuts and slapped on invented taxes is not just going to do anything in the long run.
    We must BUILD the economy – not cut the legs from underneath it as FG and Labour stupidity continue to do.

Even Merkel in German has finally admitted that her previous way of just austerity, is not working.
    That was France’s (new) president's point - that he’s also trying to hammer home.

FG and Labour are not listening it seems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

TBH I've lost faith in all our political classes and parties. I see no party nor coalition of parties capable of leading this country throug these tough times.

Perhaps a little governance from Europe woul be a good thing.

I see SF being a major player in the next government and it sends a shiver down my spine. Our political future is not a pretty one at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

If FF are being vilified now for the way they drove the country into the ground I can't begin to imagine what we'll be saying about the present government and Enda in 5 years time when the results of the YES vote comes home to roost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I've no faith in any political party in this country. They all speak with forked tongues.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I've no faith in any political party in this country. They all speak with forked tongues.

Forked tongues with shïte on their lips more like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

We'd all be a lot better off if we all lived on an anarcho-syndicalist commune.

Help! I'm being repressed! Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i have no faith in any political party, but i believe they should be given a fair go at solving the problems, and they aint gonna b fixed in 2 or 3 years, our economy ran on auto pilot for near enough 2 decades,

measures are already being taken to fix some of the issues and people can complain all they like, a good chunk of the country lived lifes of excess for years and have now been brought back to reality, but there are still not enough of them being brought back,

i would never begrudge someone earning a decent living, but if your pulling in 6 figure salaries a year you better be earning that money may it be private or public sector,

the main reason people concentrate on the public sector is cause that's where the problem is at its most visual, every country is a business and Ireland is overpaying a lot of its employees, and FG/LP are slowly reeling in that problem just like many businesses are, its a dirty job, and i dont think people get a thrill out of it, but this is the nature of the beast,

so far i think our current government are doing a good enough job, but there is a lot of red tape to cut through and that will take time and a lot of effort and i really hope they get there fair go to address the issues,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Not sure if they could be called a government.
    In reality their just overpaid pen-pushers implementing every decision forced on us by the IMF/ECB/EU.

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Not sure if they could be called a government.
    In reality their just overpaid pen-pushers implementing every decision forced on us by the IMF/ECB/EU.

Suppose was trying to be nice..even to those that don't deserve it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Where To wrote: »
    Worse than that, Sinn Fein

We could be back living in caves and certain people would still go "could be worse, Sinn Fein could be in power"

And they say we have an educated electorate!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

EURATS wrote: »
    ...are you confident and happy with the performance of our elected representatives..?
    Of course.

Johro wrote: »
    ...are you confident and happy with the performance of our elected representatives..?
    Of course.

Some are easier to impress than others I see

• Advertisement

Some are easier to impress than others I see
    It seems to be the case alright..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

It doesn't matter which political party comes into power because ultimately we're being rules by our EU overlords...

It doesn't matter which political party comes into power because ultimately we're being rules by our EU overlords...
    ...and they are being ruled by the banks.

That is true. Our political system needs a complete overhaul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

So its both the banking and the political system that needs an overhaul.

So its both the banking and the political system that needs an overhaul.

Even more than that. But would be a start

Well it further got new masters this week!

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7677/52223231246930550396361.jpg

'Vee haff vays ov making yoo vote.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Certainly not. I find it worrying that crucial concerns like the Anglo Promissory Notes do not get raised at EU or Eurogroup summits... and that's according to the Taoiseach himself.

I think the Taoiseach is weak on the economy. I don't have faith in his ability to sit in a room with 27 other leaders and Hermann Van Rumpoy and defend and promote Ireland's economic and financial interests in a rigourous, unscripted debate with no civil servants telling him what to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I have know faith in the present government and I have know faith in any future government that can be formed here in the foreseeable future either.

• Advertisement

Yay! A re-furb. A 'sixty minute make over'. I'm in.
    Then once we've done that, we can improve and in some cases, (where none exists), build infrastructure. As in 'doing up a dump'. Now we need a good designer first... None of this utilitarian crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

They are happy to continue plugging the unending hole in the banking sector with money that should be going towards rebuilding the mess this country is in, so NO I DO NOT HAVE FAITH IN FG/LABOUR and neither should anyone else as they are not fit to run a race let alone the ClusterFcuk this country is at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

A lot of money is being wasted in this recession on the fas/jobbridge thing,millions spent on these qunagos giving people titles,while those on the ce have nothing,it robs what could be a paid job from the community,as it occupies what could be a paid job advertised.tescos is on board of this scheme,not paying people getting workers for free,when they have enough money to pay staff..
    Its quangos like this is what is fcking ireland up at the moment,i notice aswell none of the politicians in charge of this mess are taking cuts to their own salaries,why is that?what makes them so special?They are manning a sinking ship and paying themselves well,almost as much cheek as bertie ahern..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

No.

Frankly I think FF, FG and Labour should be all brought out and put up against a wall at this stage.
    They are a disgrace to the men and women that died to see our nation get its independence.
    (Not that we had it for long!)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

They spun some serious bullsh*t during the election with 'our way or Frankfurt's way' and 'not another red cent to Anglo' and Pat Rabbitte lambasting some young chap on the Frontline for saying all politicians are the same.

The photo op with Enda Kenny having tea with some posh toffs on the referendum week was taking the p*ss as is all the spin that we're doing ok while the dole and emigration figures aren't showing signs of decline.

It worries me that they knew how angry we were under FF and yet they're up to the previous government's tricks when in power without giving a f*ck.

...It worries me that they knew how angry we were under FF and yet they're up to the previous government's tricks when in power without giving a f*ck.

They KNEW how angry we were/are - but they only used it to switch Dail chairs and get their foot in the door to gain equal opportunity to grasp more money, perks and pensions.

...And the blind fools of this nation let them - and still continue to do so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

I have more faith in the nman in the moon than I have in Sticky Gilmore

...and what have they done since they got in with our money?

...Since 2009, the state has injected €64 billion into the banking sector, equivalent to just over 40% of GDP. Almost €21 billion was provided from the National Pensions Reserve Fund and had no direct effect on government debt.

Yep, that right they took money from the pensions of those that have worked hard for decades to build up!
    Those same pensions not that will be shortly up for further review and chopping as more useless (not that FG and Labour is kopping on or wants to hear it) austerity measures are forced upon the working classes of Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

I voted No to the poll but to be honest I don't have faith in any of them, not just FG and Labour. All they do is one crowd try to stay on top by talking crap while the others talk crap about those at the top just to try and get to the top themselves.

Irish politics is a mess in general and I don't see how anyone could think otherwise?

Yay! A re-furb. A 'sixty minute make over'. I'm in.
    Then once we've done that, we can improve and in some cases, (where none exists), build infrastructure. As in 'doing up a dump'. Now we need a good designer first... None of this utilitarian crap.

I think we should just let u go. Unnecessary expense.

Re: kenny ringing merkel

Just goes to show that the "good little boy" in the class, doesn't always end up as "teachers PET", no matter how much äss they lick

Considering the developments in spain, and soon to be Italy, enda kenny, eamon gillmore and Micheal Martin's chicken turned out to be sitting on rotten eggs!!!!

A lot of us knew it was coming anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

So ya keep fcukin sayin. I'd say most of your lot would be only too delighted to see the whole thing crumble and the country disintegrate just to say I told ya so.

LordSmeg wrote: »

So ya keep fcukin sayin. I'd say most of your lot would be only too delighted to see the whole thing crumble and the country disintegrate just to say I told ya so.

Don't talk sh1t smeg. Ur people did it all on their own.

• Advertisement

Don't talk sh1t smeg. Ur people did it all on ur own.

I dont have any people, I'm the confused guy stuck between SF/ULA nutters throwing out any old populist nonsense without one clue as to what to do and the usual shower of assholes making it up as they go along.

We have nobody here capable of running the country as it is, the damag has been done and nobody has one clue how to fix it. Thats the disturbing fact. SF and ULA would just drive us into the ground quicker if they stuck to their impossible policies of avoiding austerity and pumping money we dont have (and nobody would give us with no efforts to get our shít in order) into trying to create jobs.

Don't talk sh1t smeg. Ur people did it all on ur own.

I dont have any people, I'm the confused guy stuck between SF/ULA nutters throwing out any old populist nonsense without one clue as to what to do and the usual shower of assholes making it up as they go along.

We have nobody here capable of running the country as it is, the damag has been done and nobody has one clue how to fix it. Thats the disturbing fact. SF and ULA would just drive us into the ground quicker if they stuck to their impossible policies of avoiding austerity and pumping money we dont have (and nobody would give us with no efforts to get our shít in order) into trying to create jobs.

More dribble smeg. I suppose it's our fault u voted yes? So many Micky dazzlers saying...sinn fein etc say NO. So that means YES. U one of them are ya?
    To be quite honest, u have a cheek to call SF etc nutters. Ur crowd will be the most hated pack of runts that this country has ever shat out..by the end of the year!!

More dribble smeg. I suppose it's our fault u voted yes? So many Micky dazzlers saying...sinn fein etc say NO. So that means YES. U one of them are ya?
    To be quite honest, u have a cheek to call SF etc nutters. Ur crowd will be the most hated pack of runts that this country has ever shat out..by the end of the year!!

Like I said I have no crowd, I certainly wouldnt align myself with any party in this country. I voted yes because I felt it was the best option. Not because FG/Labour said to vote yes, not because SF/ULA said vote no.

A lot of people do have minds of their own, I know its hard to accept that given your clearly of the view only you are intelligent enough to know whats going on and everyone else is a sheep or an idiot. But people are capable of rational thought in this country and the majority of those voted yes for good reason.

Like I said I have no crowd, I certainly wouldnt align myself with any party in this country. I voted yes because I felt it was the best option. Not because FG/Labour said to vote yes, not because SF/ULA said vote no.

A lot of people do have minds of their own, I know its hard to accept that given your clearly of the view only you are intelligent enough to know whats going on and everyone else is a sheep or an idiot. But people are capable of rational thought in this country and the majority of those voted yes for good reason.

Well we have one thing in common. I'm not aligned myself. I just listened to each side and drew my conclusions. For u to say I'd take joy in this country going down the tubes is rubbish. I wont loose sleep when kenny and co end up swimming in their own sh1t however.
    And as for ur second paragraph, a good description of a lot of the mods and a few others that did their best to make people "think straight" in the run up to the referendum!

Was the good reason to vote YES because SF etc said vote NO? Because that was what a lot of the "intelligent" people u speak of were saying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The question is, will they be voted into government again next time out?

• Advertisement
Advertisement