Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric cars..

• 24-05-2012 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

They are getting better and better - But would you buy one.?

I have to say i think this looks okay but the price is a bit steep yet.
    http://www.nissan.ie/vehicles/leaf/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Not for 30,000 Euro I wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

We had an electric car for a year on a lease.

It was absolutely brilliant, we were sad to see it go. It runs just like a normal car, but without the need to pay hundreds for petrol. It wasn't basic either like people presume, had all the bits and bobs - leather interior, bluetooth etc.

Anyone who knocks them hasn't tried them. With the exception of Jeremy Clarkson, but he's a cunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Electronic cars and all that jazz should be compulsory, save the planet man, peace out, meat is murder, fight the power, I think I'm being serious. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I think they would be brilliant if you lived in a city. No good for the likes of the rural dweller who has to travel over an hour to get to any decent shops

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

EVs are dead. Long live the diesel/petrol electric hybrid. Think the first one was meant to be fords petrol electric RS 4WD focus yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

I think they would be brilliant if you lived in a city. No good for the likes of the rural dweller who has to travel over an hour to get to any decent shops

Well maybe that is the case at the moment but i would be willing to bet that within the next number of years the batteries will be far more effective.
    Hopefully ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Electronic cars and all that jazz should be compulsory, save the planet man, peace out, meat is murder, fight the power, I think I'm being serious. :confused:

ditch the cars and get a bicycle....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

brummytom wrote: »
    We had an electric car for a year on a lease.

It was absolutely brilliant, we were sad to see it go. It runs just like a normal car, but without the need to pay hundreds for petrol. It wasn't basic either like people presume, had all the bits and bobs - leather interior, bluetooth etc.

Anyone who knocks them hasn't tried them. With the exception of Jeremy Clarkson, but he's a cunt
    On a full charge how far did it go and electricity wise was it expensive?

Domo230 wrote: »
    If it doesnt have the roar of a gas guzzler then I won't consider it.

I would have thought comfort in getting from a to b, And price would have been the main consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

It won't be long before they are worth serious consideration, if you don't commute a significant distance

Electric Vehicles are getting better and cheaper, while petrol/diesel prices are going through the roof.

Until recently I would never have thought I would buy one, now I might (but probably not for a few years)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

If the electricity used didn't come from burning oil elsewhere, then they would be a good idea but right now, anyone who thinks they are being 'green' by powering things from electricity rather than oil, is kidding themselves.

Am tempted to get an electric moped though, for nipping round the city but only because no tax, insurance and parking costs would be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Junior Jacon Jeese Jurger

You just watched that south park about hybrids didn't you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Some guy who wants electric cars banned.

TL;DR he isn't happy with the charging situation for cars, there were supposed to be a lot more charging stations around the country. Hassle for people not living in cities to get their cars charged. And wanting to go hydrogen instead of electric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

If the electricity used didn't come from burning oil elsewhere, then they would be a good idea but right now, anyone who thinks they are being 'green' by powering things from electricity rather than oil, is kidding themselves.

Am tempted to get an electric moped though, for nipping round the city but only because no tax, insurance and parking costs would be involved.

Batteries are environmental TNT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

KKkitty wrote: »
    On a full charge how far did it go and electricity wise was it expensive?

It did around 80-90 miles on a charge (which takes around 8 hours, so is easy to just leave on overnight). The electricity cost about £1.50 per charge, so €1.90ish?

Obviously we only really used it for relatively short journeys, but it was definitely economical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Who needs a car, I'm electric, thats all that matters

21/25

You just watched that south park about hybrids didn't you

Nope, But i feel like a idiot paying out what i have to on fuel... Travel is now taking too much of my cash.
    We are all in this position but i do feel the Govt should have seen this coming and tried to limit our dependence at a earlier point.

Whatever about saving the envoirment.. I wouldent mind saving some money:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Recent figures show that 80% of the worlds car drivers drive less than 80 miles per day, and this is well within the reach of a single charge now, yet one of the big things stopping people buying them is that they wouldn't trust them to get them where they are going.

I would buy one, if the price was lower. Simply too dear for now. But maybe in 5 or 10yrs, who knows?

Or maybe if there was a cheap way to lease one, rather than actually own it.

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »
    EVs are dead. Long live the diesel/petrol electric hybrid. Think the first one was meant to be fords petrol electric RS 4WD focus yoke.
    No, not long live. A switch will have to be made to all out renewable energies. Nice stop gap as a temporary measure, so perhaps, short live.. till a better system is in place.
    Could you elaborate on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Could you elaborate on that?

Over 90% of electricity in Ireland comes from non-renewable source.

You can buy a diesel that will get you 70mpg these days and so I just don't see how electric vehicles are really all that 'greener' right now.

I can see how a Nissan Leaf would make sense when it comes to Insurance and Tax but as long as we have such a low level of electricity coming from a renewable source, then it just isn't as 'green' as it is being presented as being (in some quarters at least).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The manufacture of batteries is very damaging to the environment. Electric cars are pointless as long as the electricity they use comes from fossil fuels. At the moment the short ranges make them useless for long journeys, for example driving from Galway to Dublin on one charge isn't possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

What we need is magnets. If roads everywhere were lined with magnets and cars had magnets in them that propelled them along we'd be flying *not literally yet*

Can't think of any reason why this isn't a great idea once we get past some small inconveniences like cars made of metal, car magnets attracting each other and people getting their buckles stuck to my fender ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

The older Tesla car could get from dublin to mayo and a bit further on one charge.

I don't drive but Elon Musk is no idiot, charging electric cars is better for the environment even if that elec is gotten from gas or oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

CamperMan wrote: »
    ditch the cars and get a bicycle....

And as Hairyprincess said....what about people that live miles from anywhere? Try cycling 30 miles with a weeks worth of shopping. Know you might mean well but you're prob living in a city where you have nice slow traffic and decent roads :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Sometime in the future it's either going to be electric cars or we'll all just end up living in some kind of post apocalyptic hell world.

Either that or we discover Arrakis and find a way of running cars off the spice melange...

OneArt wrote: »
    Sometime in the future it's either going to be electric cars or we'll all just end up living in some kind of post apocalyptic hell world.

Either that or we discover Arrakis and find a way of running cars off the spice melange...
    So, Mad Max or we wage a war in the known universe... Hm. Hopefully the crazed witches are optional as I'd rather the one with the life lengthening and mind expanding universe if I get a vote :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Cars of the future will be powered by hydrogen which we can get from water. They can make these cars now but they're really expensive so until the price comes down it will be prohibitive.

• Advertisement

Ireland is being as good with keeping with the times as we should have come to expect.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2012/0125/1224310699515.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Many threads on this in Motors.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement