Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding, oh my poor head

• 24-05-2012 1:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I have a dilemma, I've been invited to a wedding and don't know whether to go or not. I don't know the guy that well tbh, I bump into him and some members of his family regularly enough but when I think about it I know feck all about him. I didn't know he was getting married or to who, don't know where he lives and don't know what he does for a living.

I'd prefer not to go to save the expense of it all, I guess it would come close to €400 and also the fact that I don't know anyone else that is going too well so could be bit awkward.

It was nice to be invited (or maybe they just want some wedding present money off me :eek:) and it could be fun and would be my first time going to a wedding. I also don't have to come up with a good excuse if I go.

Or how could I get out of it without lowering people's opinion of me? I suppose I don't want them thinking oh there's that ungrateful so and so that we very kindly invited to our big day.

It's not exactly a bad problem but it still has my head wrecked :(. So what do you think I should do and if you have any good excuses I could use I'll be in your debt, try make them believable though :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

I'd prefer not to go

So... don't go!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Say you've got something on that day. Give him a card with an acceptable amount of cash for the situation and that'll be that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Shag his bride-to-be and ring him to tell him straight afterwards.

That way, the wedding will be called off and you'll have had some sex.

Win-win. For you, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Send him that card thing where you decline the invite and don't give him any monies whatsoever, you're not getting fed like so ya owe the bollix nothing, actually put that down on the card too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,355 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

El Weirdo wrote: »

I've a strange suspicion brown cow is a girl and a good looking one at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Make an absolute show of yourself at his stag (or preferably her hen), then plead mortification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Perfect, but would that not leave it a bit awkward when bumping into him or his friends in the future?

I'm a male cow

Mooooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

I do believe there is a rule that if you do not know who the bride is there is a chance you may have shagged her in the past and you cannot go to the wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

just don't go, simple, anyway if this is your first wedding to be invited to chances are it won't be the last,im sure you'll have closer friends weddings to go to in the future,or your own :)

I've a srange suspicion El Weirdo knows this.

\dirty fecker

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Ok, this is what you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Wait for his funeral instead; won't set you back so much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Domo230 wrote: »
    Good advice

Your not the first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,355 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm a male cow

Mooooooo

Bahhhh

He's doing a Eddy Hobbs on it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

delw wrote: »
    just don't go, simple, anyway if this is your first wedding to be invited to chances are it won't be the last,im sure you'll have closer friends weddings to go to in the future,or your own :)

I'm not familiar with wedding invitation etiquette but do you not need a decent excuse why you can't go. I've already thanked him for the invitation but didn't say whether I'd be going or not.

When people ask me why I'm not going I want some good excuse, so far I either screw the bride or go to the wedding. Suppose I could do both :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Pretend you died, but make it a cool story, like you died in an avalanche while saving a litter of puppies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Bro! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Just tick the "unable to attend" box on the RSVP and send it back. You don't need an excuse. Or maybe just put a note to say you already have plans and wish them all the best for their wedding day...

Domo230 wrote: »
    Dangerously close to crossing into banned meme territory there.

Indeed. And I'd say the advice the OP would have received by now would have included two other ones if they weren't infractable.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

It was nice to be invited (or maybe they just want some wedding present money off me :eek:)

If you don't know them that well and you don't go, are you expected to give a present anyway?:eek:
    If you are that's complete bollox, understandable if its a close friend or close relative, but to be expected to give a present just because someone send you an invite is a bit much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

It's not exactly a bad problem but it still has my head wrecked :(. So what do you think I should do and if you have any good excuses I could use I'll be in your debt, try make them believable though :)

The invitation should have RSVP, meaning Please Respond.

Just respond with, Unable to Attend.:)

You don't owe them an explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I have a dilemma, I've been invited to a wedding and don't know whether to go or not. I don't know the guy that well tbh, I bump into him and some members of his family regularly enough but when I think about it I know feck all about him. I didn't know he was getting married or to who, don't know where he lives and don't know what he does for a living.

I'd prefer not to go to save the expense of it all, I guess it would come close to €400 and also the fact that I don't know anyone else that is going too well so could be bit awkward.

It was nice to be invited (or maybe they just want some wedding present money off me :eek:) and it could be fun and would be my first time going to a wedding. I also don't have to come up with a good excuse if I go.

Or how could I get out of it without lowering people's opinion of me? I suppose I don't want them thinking oh there's that ungrateful so and so that we very kindly invited to our big day.

You rsvp and say you are not attending. There is no need to give a reason. I'm sure the wedding will go ahead without you op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

When getting out of weddings I generally tell people I can't get the day off work/have something else on (family occasions generally good here)/will be away on that date etc. I feel better about turning down an invite when I have a solid made up excuse.

You definitely don't have to go anyway OP. It was nice of them to ask, but clearly they only did as they have no friends, and it's not really your responsibility to make up numbers. And also, weddings are awful. Just return the RSVP with your made up excuse and a clear conscience and the next time you see your man tell him you'll take him for a few pints so you can hear all about it. And sin a bhfuil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

somehow I don't think you would be the centre of their world and the topic of conversation if you don't go.

if you don't want to do, politely decline - end of story - not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Say you've got something on that day. Give him a card with an acceptable amount of cash for the situation and that'll be that

not going, no cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Simply tell him you already have a family wedding that day and then just stay away from the hotel/church/whatever where the ceremony/reception is being held.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Perfect, but would that not leave it a bit awkward when bumping into him or his friends in the future?

I'm a male cow

Mooooooo

a male cow? isnt that a contradiction in itself? a male female.... means your a tranny then

cow = female

bull = male

the species you refer to as a cow is actually bovine (cow is just the female bovine)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

You should go. Weddings are great craic and there is always loads of single women who are vulnerable and looking for a husband of their own. But if you really don't want to go just say your away on holidays that weekend and tickets are non refundable.

jesus op you're not obligated to go just because a stranger invited you
    say no on the rsvp, wish them all the best, and move on with your life

i can't believe you want to waste 400 on a wedding you dont want to go to because you "don't have a good cover story"
    man up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

its not monday week is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

Really thought this was going to be a hangover thread...

bluewolf wrote: »
    jesus op you're not obligated to go just because a stranger invited you
    say no on the rsvp, wish them all the best, and move on with your life

i can't believe you want to waste 400 on a wedding you dont want to go to because you "don't have a good cover story"
    man up

Good advice.

That said, don't ever go to a wedding with Bluewolf. She'll intimidate you into asking her to dance, and then expect to lead. She'll ruin your form.

She's the marital equivalent of fighting a Southpaw.

\carries her high-heels home.

Advertisement