Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco CCNA (ICDN1 & 2) via Fas eLearning

Options
  • 24-05-2012 7:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Has anybody used the Fas eLearning for the ICDN1 & 2 courses ? And are they sufficient to possibly pass the exam (based on the fact that I work at networks so have a very good grasp) or do you still need supplimentary books or use websites for further info ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Regardless of where you're studying anything, You should always use different media. For eCollege, its mainly CBT

A good CCNA book and maybe a DVD course will compliment it too

You pick of info in different ways from different mediums, so you really should use a mix of everything available

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭championc

Thanks for that

Has anyone out there used the FAS CBT course ? How well did it prepare you for the exam (in hindsight) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

I am doing the CompTIA A+ course with FAS online. The course is pretty good and more enjoyable than reading it from a book. The course material alone is sufficient to pass the exam.

Interesting but has anyone done the CCNA course modules in this way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭funkyship

I have to respectfully disagree lads. While the FAS Couse looks to be good value, it is only videos, You need practical experience. The best way to learn how to drive a car is by "driving a car" not watching a video or reading a book. I have seen some students study the CCNA from videos and books and some cannot even statically assign an ip address to a pc. If you wish to study the CCNA, you need access to live Cisco Switches and Routers and no online course can give you that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

funkyship wrote: »
    I have to respectfully disagree lads. While the FAS Couse looks to be good value, it is only videos, You need practical experience. The best way to learn how to drive a car is by "driving a car" not watching a video or reading a book. I have seen some students study the CCNA from videos and books and some cannot even statically assign an ip address to a pc. If you wish to study the CCNA, you need access to live Cisco Switches and Routers and no online course can give you that.

In general I agree but the use of GNS3 and Packet tracer is sufficient for the practical side of CCNA.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭funkyship

Is it though Nate? Whilst GNS3 and packet tracer are good resources in helping students getting used to the IOS commands and modes, There is the whole physical side of Switching and Routing that students need to get used to, such as example cables. It takes practise physically setting up labs using real kit (ethernet, Serial, console) cables. If the CCNA is to prepare a student for a Networking Career, GNS3 or packet tracer wont be much help in a Comms room environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Perhaps so, but for the CCNA exam itself they are sufficient.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Perhaps so, but for the CCNA exam itself they are sufficient.

Nate

im doing icnd1 at the moment through fas, i did N+ before that and find the icnd1 material is easier to understand. i wouldnt be to hung up on acquiring other official material. anything i got stuck on or wanted to kow more about i searched in google and any practicle demonstrations i had to see i searced youtube. GNS3 is handy for creatig your own topologies i used it to join 3 routers so i could practice setting up interfaces and get a better grasp on routing tables. I cant the link yet but somewhere in this forum one of the lads kindly set up a cisco lab that you can telnet to for free and thats invaluable experience. however if you do networking already i doubt its of any trouble to you.
    im doing a recap of the material and hope to sit the exam in a week or two.

also of youd like some sample questions, 9tut.net is very handy

Hi Hijpo

I would be grateful to hear how you get on from the point of view as to how well the FAS CBT Video Course prepared you for the exam. What I wonder is, if completely learnt and understood, would the CBT be sufficient preparation for the exam or whether, no matter what, additional studying from additional sources will be required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

ICND1 covers 10 modules, each module then has sub topics.

Network Fundamentals recognize the Cisco Lifecycle Services approach to networking and the basic components and benefits of computer networks.
    recognize the impact of common user applications on the network and the characteristics of various network topologies.
    recognize the need for a comprehensive network security policy, common threats to network security, and how to mitigate against them.
    recognize the layers and operation of the OSI model in host-to-host network communications.
    recognize the classes and types of IP addresses, and how IP addressing functions.
    recognize the function of DHCP and DNS in IP addressinguse Windows applications and commands to investigate the IP configuration of your PC and your local network.

Network Communications and Connections
    recognize the basic purpose and functions of the transport layer.
    recognize the major functions of the TCP and UDP transport protocols.
    recognize how TCP establishes a connection and transfers data between two peer systems.
    use a packet sniffer software application to view the TCP initial three-way handshake.
    recognize how a host-to-host connection is made and maintained.
    recognize the basic characteristics of LANs and the functionality of Ethernet LANs.
    recognize how connections are made to an Ethernet LAN.
    use PC tools to gather network-related information.

Switched LANs
    recognize segment length and collision issues on an Ethernet LAN and how to resolve them.
    recognize the main causes of network congestion and switched LAN technology solutions.
    recognize the operation of switched LANs and host-to-host packet delivery.
    recognize the basic characteristics of Cisco IOS software and the CLI.
    recognize how the CLI can be used for online help functions, enhanced editing functions, and viewing device command history.
    recognize how an access layer Catalyst switch is started and how the CLI interacts with Catalyst switch IOS Software.
    connect to an access layer switch and complete the initial device configuration.

Switch Optimization, Security, and Troubleshooting
    recognize how to enable physical, access, and port level security on a switch.
    recognize the ways in which switched Ethernet LANs can be optimized.
    increase the security of the initial switch configuration.
    recognize how to identify and resolve common switch network issues.
    identify and provide a resolution for common switch network issues that arise in a LAN.

Wireless LANs
    recognize the business case for WLAN services, and the differences between WLAN and LAN implementations.
    recognize the basic operation of radio transmission, regulatory bodies, standards and certification, and unlicensed radio bands.
    recognize WLAN security issues and the features available to increase WLAN security.
    recognize the IEEE 802.11 topologies, WLAN services, and factors that affect WLAN design.
    recognize a basic wireless implementation, common wireless issues, and troubleshooting methods.
    recognize key areas of the WLAN environment.

Routing and Addressing in the LAN
    recognize the operation of Cisco routers in connecting multiple networks.
    recognize the process to convert decimal numbers to binary numbers and binary numbers to decimal numbers.
    recognize how subnets are constructed, and how to calculate subnet masks and addresses.
    perform subnet and IP addressing activities.
    recognize how to start a Cisco IOS router, initially configure it, and monitor it.
    recognize how to implement a basic configuration for a Cisco router for an Internetwork.
    perform the initial minimal configuration and validate the router configuration.

Packet Delivery, Security, and Remote Access on the Router
    recognize how an IP packet is delivered over a routed network.
    recognize the threats to network installations and how to implement a basic security configuration for a Cisco router.
    increase the security of the router following its initial configuration.
    recognize the features of Cisco SDM and configure a router to support it.
    recognize what DHCP is and how a Cisco router can function as a DHCP server, and how to enable and monitor it.
    recognize the methods you can use to access remote devices.

WAN Technologies and Routing
    recognize the characteristics of WANs, their major devices, and their technologies.
    recognize the functions of packet-switched networks, DSL, cable-based WANs, and the evolution and function of the Internet.
    recognize how to configure Internet access using the DHCP client, NAT, and PAT on Cisco routers.
    recognize the basic routing process and types, and configure a static route.
    configure a serial connection and a static route.

WAN Encapsulation and Dynamic Routing using RIP
    recognize the characteristics and functionality of WAN communication links.
    recognize the characteristics of HDLC and PPP and how to configure them, and the characteristics of Frame Relay and ATM.
    recognize the basic features and operation of dynamic routing and RIP, and how to enable RIP on an IP network.
    enable the use of the dynamic routing protocol, RIP and remove an unnecessary static route.

Network Environment Management
    recognize how to gather information about the Cisco devices in a network and create a map of the network environment.
    use CDP to obtain information about directly attached Cisco devices and disable CDP from running on selected interfaces.
    recognize the main internal router components, and the router startup and configuration process.
    recognize the procedures and commands required to manage Cisco IOS images, configuration files, and devices on the network.
    manage router startup options and Cisco devices.

I think the material from a theory aspect is well laid out and informative enough to a point where it will get you through the theory side of the exam if learned well.

However even though it gives you an insight into the CLI and gives you practicle demonstrations of commands, it is pretty basic and the commands are spread out through the modules, they dont actually say "this is whats needed when configuring a router" and because of that i found the sample questions on 9tut a little overwhelming. so get as much practice in configuring a switch and router as you can including sorting out IP's in a subnet, applying passwords, applying VTP, using cdp etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

funkyship wrote: »
    Is it though Nate? Whilst GNS3 and packet tracer are good resources in helping students getting used to the IOS commands and modes, There is the whole physical side of Switching and Routing that students need to get used to, such as example cables. It takes practise physically setting up labs using real kit (ethernet, Serial, console) cables. If the CCNA is to prepare a student for a Networking Career, GNS3 or packet tracer wont be much help in a Comms room environment.

Cabling is the most basic part of any networking role and one that can be learnt in a hour.

If it comes down to it GNS3 is fine for Routers. But since switches can't be emulated correctly, you really do need physical access to some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

I did my ICDN1 Recently and passed with 925/1000 points. I found that practicing on real hardware as well as using packet tracer really prepared me for this. I can imagine that without any contact with the real hardware, the ICND1 is doable but the ICND 2 might be stretching it.

I can whip round Cisco IOS easily now thanks to hands on experience with real hardware. You get a feel for the real deal and there is something about actually rigging up a real network that just teaches you so much more than any simulation ever could.

Videos are not nearly enough to teach CCNA level networking in my opinion.

You need hands on + Official material + simulations/labs and videos to compliment.

I'll be sitting my ICND2 exam real soon and am feeling confident.

Having never done any networking or IT other than Java programming before this I found it very tough (Although I found subnetting/CIDR/VLSM to be easy enough despite all the hype around them) . If you don't know anything about Binary and networking then you will find the CCNA material to be a cruel awakening. I really can't believe in these fast track courses. the CCNA takes long hard study to achieve from scratch. If you are already experienced with networking than the fast track might work. Videos alone?? That's really wishful thinking in my opinion, unless as I said your already into networking theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭le_dazzler

Cabling is the most basic part of any networking role and one that can be learnt in a hour.

If it comes down to it GNS3 is fine for Routers. But since switches can't be emulated correctly, you really do need physical access to some.

There is a workaround for this on GNS - using a 2691 configured with a nm-16esw (16 port switching module) will give you access to a lot of switching features

Advertisement