Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

defamation

• 24-05-2012 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all,

Not looking for legal advise just wondering if someone goes on a radio talk show and uses their own first name and says completely unfounded and untrue things about another person but doesn't mention that persons name can a demation case be taken? If the details the person gives absolutely identifies the person the are defaming without any doubt but just doesn't actually state that persons name, is there a case?
    For example if there blatently told a bare face lie about the other person like they are sleeping around or they attacked them...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Simple answer yes,

Section 6 (3) Defamation Act 2009

(3) A defamatory statement concerns a person if it could reasonably be understood as referring to him or her.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hickory99

Fantastic, thanks for the quick response!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Sinclair v. Gogarty [1937] I.R. 377 is the case that backs that up too, worth a read on the identity issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Simple answer yes,

Section 6 (3) Defamation Act 2009

(3) A defamatory statement concerns a person if it could reasonably be understood as referring to him or her.

Only tangentially related, but something I always wondered was this:

You have the unique username "ResearchWill". On this site, you, as the user of that name, has built up a certain reputation as a helpful and informative poster.

Is there any issue if someone else registers as "ResearchWill" on another site and posts abusive, racist, or illegal material, and there is a good chance that someone from Boards will see that material?

Do you have any rights to the good name of your username?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

You have the unique username "ResearchWill". On this site, you, as the user of that name, has built up a certain reputation as a helpful and informative poster.

Is there any issue if someone else registers as "ResearchWill" on another site and posts abusive, racist, or illegal material, and there is a good chance that someone from Boards will see that material?

We had a lengthy thread on this before, quite interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Robbo wrote: »

I don't remember seeing that. Off to look!

Edit: Found it. Ta!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056027146&page=2

I take it that there has not been a definitive determination on this in the last 18 months or so?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I don't remember seeing that. Off to look!

Edit: Found it. Ta!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056027146&page=2

I take it that there has not been a definitive determination on this in the last 18 months or so?
    Nothing that I'm aware of. Recently published was the judgment from Taxi-jumper-gate where a number of John Doe's and nicknames were listed as defendants.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

There's a case on this in the UK. The Owner of a Blog v Times Newspapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

A sport journalist with the Irish times got sued by a trainer, who thought an article libelled him, the journalist since wrote that he knew nothing about horse racing let alone the issue the trainer took slight about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

hold on...so Elvis can sue me for some of the stuff I say on boards?!

• Advertisement

hold on...so Elvis can sue me for some of the stuff I say on boards?!
    It depends on if there's any basis as to the allegations in relation to a person's status as a hound dog/non-hound dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Nothing that I'm aware of. Recently published was the judgment from Taxi-jumper-gate where a number of John Doe's and nicknames were listed as defendants.

Did this case have a final outcome? The link seems to be about the papers reporting the case and not the central issue of the takedown of the material in question.

Advertisement